Updating Firmware?

The new firmware will I imagine be installed, I have two units side by side here, and it does make a bigger difference than I'd previously thought. The white line(on black) that caused such a fuss is nothing, but the screen looks a lot richer now, also the joystick is good. I initially loosened mine *A LOT* but after I got my other one and it was hitting the switches. I loosened it *A LOT* more. I now belive its a lot better stick(and yes I would like the handle to be concave). Don't care about the e-book patch
this quote by cyclops really makes me want to run the new firmware is it possible it checks the battery level is full before trying to update ? My battery charger is broken so i have no chance of being able to test this

Im using a Peak ? 128mb card. Put .img file on sd card and switched on but just deleted file nothing happened...

Formatted disk FAT32 then copied just the .img file over. Booted and flashing firmware screen showed. Does seem to be different but not showing 1.01 in info.

Im using a Peak ? 128mb card. Put .img file on sd card and switched on but just deleted file nothing happened...

Formatted disk FAT32 then copied just the .img file over. Booted and flashing firmware screen showed. Does seem to be different but not showing 1.01 in info.

Yep, does still show v1.0 after the update.
Only on the recent units I got it says v1.01
Maybe we can expect another update soon :)

Last edited:
Not realy anything useful, but this made me chuckle when Google translated the instructions.
How do you do. The game green onion khu the hall ting su is.
The LCD patch of the }gp{2}x{-}f{100 pe it is a before.

--------------------------------------
Firmware ep that RAID contents
--------------------------------------
1. The LCD screen left side grudge will decrease huyn the problem which comes out with color solved.

2. The screen center the piece which rises with the left side with the base point dawns solved the problem which comes to be incorrect.

3. Color it solved the actual condition which spreads.

When to the left side after the patch grudge it will decrease huyn it does not come out with color, it is to have become the patch in the normality.

It gives an inconvenience and it is sorry.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------
The GP2X firmware carries thu method
---------------------------------------------------------

1) the USB it leads and file it receives
** Before copying a firmware with the SD card, card SD and in }fat{32 mode format Oh! it does. Before accomplishing a format work, the important file probably is a copy sample at the PC, it confirms and it is an immediacy and it copies and it puts, it wishes.

Order broad way firmware the lower part which when finishes a format ep it advances that RAID it wishes.

1.SD Insert the CARD and light the GP2X all the member
When 2. issues thing the Maine menu screen after the screen floats, it selects the Setting.
3.USB It connects the cable in the GP2X and it selects the USB from the Setting menu.
When 4.PC from is new with khel the disk drive was caught, knock-down it received in home page, it carries thu it copies a file with SD CARD root directory.

2) firmware carries thu description below

1.SD The file copy completion ? u all the member the cotton GP2X machinery and tools in the CARD after the OFF again the ON. (The all the member to confirm the sufficient cold region. All the member insufficient hour carries and thu it willnot can become)
2. all the members does not light the cotton LCD screen carries again thu with the screen to be exchanged, it carries thu it is advanced. (Until highest 2 minutes there is a possibility of becoming disturbance)
3. it carries thu after completing the father thing is with automatic movement but it gets torn and the file which is copied in SD CARD comes to erase.
When 4. issues thing the after menu floats, it carries thu to be completed.

3) carries to sprout, problem point and consideration

1.SD The CARD 2GB currently firmware pe cyen from it does not support from the GP2X machinery and tools. (speed governing support to be possible, it will control.)

2.USB It does not support inside NAND FLASH from the use hour current GP2X machinery and tools to use SD CARD, Oh! it becomes. (inside quick time use to be possible, it will support)

And the comments...
Cink said:
Only file it comes to erase and carries sprouts.
05|11| 12| 22:13:9
luna said:
It comes out finally well. One the bedspread which is solved; 05|11| 12| 16:58:12
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carries sprouts? I dont want to have to start inserting vegetables into my gp2x

I've heard of a couple people here updating their firmware successfully, but they never say how they did it. It can't really be that hard to tell us the steps you took, since 95%+ can't get the .img file to install correctly.

I've heard of a couple people here updating their firmware successfully, but they never say how they did it. It can't really be that hard to tell us the steps you took, since 95%+ can't get the .img file to install correctly.
Read the thread.
Well, I did, but it turns out I was doing it a bit incorrectly. All has worked now :)

:eek:

OK, I finally got the firmware installed by formatting the card to FAT32 under Windows 2000. mkfs.vfat -F 32 formatting under linux didn't work for some reason. Here's what I'm noticing so far.

bad:
- Screen a bit darker.
- Wibbly diagonal lines more noticable. But they were present before the update anyway.

good:
- Wibbly lines not always there. Usually stronger on mostly green or blue screens, but they don't seem to be too bad at all when running SNES games or Quake. (I'm guessing it's a refresh rate problem. Not hardware.)
- Ghosting not really noticable anymore, if at all.
- MASSIVELY improved battery life. The update's worth it for this alone.

A few teething troubles it seems, but nothing serious! :)

EDIT: I just thought -- could the screen wibbling be caused by the fact that I'm using crappy batteries? I'll buy a proper regulated power supply from Maplin on Saturday and try that out.

OK, I finally got the firmware installed by formatting the card to FAT32 under Windows 2000. mkfs.vfat -F 32 formatting under linux didn't work for some reason. Here's what I'm noticing so far.

bad:
- Screen a bit darker.
- Wibbly diagonal lines more noticable. But they were present before the update anyway.

good:
- Wibbly lines not always there. Usually stronger on mostly green or blue screens, but they don't seem to be too bad at all when running SNES games or Quake. (I'm guessing it's a refresh rate problem. Not hardware.)
- Ghosting not really noticable anymore, if at all.
- MASSIVELY improved battery life. The update's worth it for this alone.

A few teething troubles it seems, but nothing serious! :)

EDIT: I just thought -- could the screen wibbling be caused by the fact that I'm using crappy batteries? I'll buy a proper regulated power supply from Maplin on Saturday and try that out.
I used cfdisk to make it 0B type (W95 FAT32) and then did mkfs.msdos -F 32, then copied gp2xkernel.img and ONLY gp2xkernel.img to the card's root directory.

A firware updating screen loaded and the screen is now darker, with no ghosting, no wobbly lines, no contrast problem, and it *seems* crisper and like it has a higher refresh rate. Definitely worth the update.

A firware updating screen loaded and the screen is now darker, with no ghosting, no wobbly lines, no contrast problem, and it *seems* crisper and like it has a higher refresh rate. Definitely worth the update.

Yeah, I'm not getting any ghosting or contrast problems. Just the lines. I've also noticed that the lines only start about 3/4 of the way through the boot up, so it really can't be anything to do with the actual screen itself.

I'm thinking that the screen's not getting enough power once the OS and all the drivers have finished loading, or the power output from the batteries I'm using is dodgy, which is causing the wobbly lines. I think a proper regulated psu will fix it.

EDIT: Slight derail...This is a great console though and I'm thoroughly enjoying buggering about with it and working around any problems that come up. Any console that lets me play Mortal Kombat II on the toilet is fine by my standards.

Is it possible to flash the firmware more than once with the same version?

Mine arrived yesterday from gbax, but im having no luck in updating. Ive got a 256mb toshiba card, formatted FAT32, Ive copied only the image onto the root but it just gets deleted - ive never seen this 'updating screen'. Could it be that its already up to date?

From my info screen:

Version 1.0

2005.11.16 - GP2XV102 - 00000008

Mine arrived yesterday from gbax, but im having no luck in updating. Ive got a 256mb toshiba card, formatted FAT32, Ive copied only the image onto the root but it just gets deleted - ive never seen this 'updating screen'. Could it be that its already up to date?

From my info screen:

Version 1.0

Im having the same problem as you, got a 1gig Kingston SD and it also deletes the image, with no updating screen

Version 1.0
S/N 2005.11.18 - GP2XV102 - 00000583

Ive heard some of the later ones do flash? Has someone managed to flash theres with a earlier serial number?

From my info screen:

Version 1.0

Had the very same problem.

Just do exactly as stated by Prodo in this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22157

it has worked for me !

No dident work here (still cant update firmware) ... I hope some of us who cant update the current firmware dont have problems updating the more important firmware releases in future

Weeeeellll... my GP2x is somewhat earlier - 2005.11.10 - GP2x 000000510, and *seems* to have updated fine. By which I mean that the media player has the full 10 music levels which is one of the changes the new version is supposed to provide (seeing as currently iirc the new firmware - that is, 17/11/05 - doesn't change the version from 1.0 to 1.01).

That said, I've not seen an updating screen, but if the evidence suggests the update has been applied, do I need to?

Back