Updating Firmware?

Ninjia^

Website
Visit site
I am having trouble updating the firmware and I have also spoken to a few other people both on IRC and MSN who have the same problem. I am only trying the first firmware update at the moment to fix the LCD problem.

Heres what Im doing, let me know where I am going wrong.

1. Download firmware image file

2. Copy firmware.img file to root directory of SD card

3. Insert SD card into GP2X and power on

The file gets deleted off of the card but I dont get any messages thats its been updated and in the info section its still showing as version 1.00 plus the LCD bug is still present.

What Im worried about is not being able to update the firmware in the future. Is there anyway to access the NAND memory without a serial cable and try from there?

I installed to the SD, opened the folder with the IMG file in but nothing showed up in utilitys...what am I doing wrong?

Where is the "root" directory on the SD and do things autorun from there?

I installed to the SD, opened the folder with the IMG file in but nothing showed up in utilitys...what am I doing wrong?

Where is the "root" directory on the SD and do things autorun from there?

The Root Directory just means the main directory of the card for example H:\ ( or on your PC for example it would be C:\ ) It should autorun when the unit is powered on so you dont need to go into the ultility menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was reported and complained from couple of customers that the firmware does not upgrade automatically via certain SD card. (also some of them reported they could upgrade with other SD)

I heard we can mount nand memory somewhere like mnt/nand but i'm not sure you can upgrade firmware from there, too.

Well, as long as there is no fix for kernel and SD drive, I just guess you can borrow a SD from friend for fixing, sorry.

It was reported and complained from couple of customers that the firmware does not upgrade automatically via certain SD card. (also some of them reported they could upgrade with other SD)

I heard we can mount nand memory somewhere like mnt/nand but i'm not sure you can upgrade firmware from there, too.

Well, as long as there is no fix for kernel and SD drive, I just guess you can borrow a SD from friend for fixing, sorry.

mine's the same.. i have tried my 3 sd cards (128mb lexar, 512 hypertec and 2gb kingston), still no worries i should be able to send it to nand or similar via the usb cable.. oh damn that doesnt work either (win2k). Still not to worry as there will be a firmware along to fix these problems soon and i can just transf... :blink:

ahhhh, the joys of being an early adopter!

I have another SD card I will try with tonight, I doubt its anything to do with the manufacturer type though, more than likely it will be the way the card is formatted. Im going to try FAT16 instead of FAT32 see if that makes a difference.

The file gets deleted off of the card but I dont get any messages thats its been updated and in the info section its still showing as version 1.00 plus the LCD bug is still present.

GPH stated in their website, the version number won't change with firmware update. (I guess, that's saying something about this version update) Frankly, reading numerous post in Korean webs, I doubt this firmware does anything other than makes the screen darker. We better wait for a real firmware update in the future. Considering how minor Nov. 17th update was (no real programmer should spend more than an hour, maybe two on those small updates) , we have a LONG wait coming up. :(

How we, overseas customers, can pressure GPH to open up their firmware so that WE can address the issues? Or, GPH should at least contract out some of the best minds in this communities to help them fix the firmware.

Thanks, your right they need to work harder on this problem. Still very strange that the firmware doesnt work for me whereas it works for others. Have any korean usere found a solution to this that you know of?

Does the .img file need to be launched via the utilities menu?

If so, maybe the process of booting up the gp2x deletes the file. Could try booting up and then inserting the SD card and launching via utilities.

Sorry if this is wrong, its just a guess which i can't test out right now due to not having my gp2X with me.

Well, I don't think that has something to do with the SD-Card.

I tried no-name 64MB SD-Card, a no-name 32MB MMC-Card, an x4store 1Gig SD-Card and a SanDisk 256MB SD-Card.

Everytime, the gp2x just takes longer to boot, deleting the file.

As the gp2x is deleting the file, it does recognize it, it just doesn't update it.
I don't think that would make sense if it was an SD-Card problem.

Anyways, as it is only a kernel image which needs to be copied to a secret NAND partition, GPH (or somebody else) could create a tool that does this when you run it from the menu.

Just copy .img to sd and reboot.
Then fimware updating message box will be shown during boot. (should be)
File will disappear whenever. (done or not)
If message box don't be shown, firm is not updated.
(this is not sd card related. maybe mount or recognization related)
Then try this.
1. power on gp2x
2. copy .img to sd by card reader (edit : format in fat32)
3. insert sd to gp2x and check .img file in explorer menu.
4. reboot and see update message box.

That firmware is not major firmware...just some adjust and i dont recommend that.
Wait next 'real' firmware update. It will be released soon. (in this week)

Well, that's exactly what me (and a lot other guys here) tried.

I booted about 30 times now with 4 different SD-Cards.

No "Updating Firmware"-message, only the file is being deleted.

Just copy .img to sd and reboot.
Then fimware updating message box will be shown during boot. (should be)
File will disappear whenever. (done or not)
If message box don't be shown, firm is not updated.
Then try this.
1. power on gp2x
2. copy .img to sd by card reader
3. insert sd to gp2x and check .img file in explorer menu.
4. reboot and see update message box.

That firmware is not major firmware...just some adjust and i dont recommend that.
Wait next 'real' firmware update. It will be released soon.

Still doesnt work either way I have tried. What Im worried about is that I wont be able to install any new firmware if this one wont install. Hopefully it wont be too long before I know for sure.

Are we sure that firmware update isn't only for the Korean versions of the GP2X? If it's looking for a specific version of the firmware and the english version isn't exactly the same, it'll just ignore it, wont it?

Yeah the gp2xs for Koreans are just the same :) I got mine from Korea and I tried with no-name 16mb, Nokia 32mb, Apacer 1GB and Viking 512mb with no success :/ I hope someone finds a way to do this with all SD cards.

Yeah the gp2xs for Koreans are just the same :) I got mine from Korea and I tried with no-name 16mb, Nokia 32mb, Apacer 1GB and Viking 512mb with no success :/ I hope someone finds a way to do this with all SD cards.

I still dont think its anything to do with the SD card Ive tried three now a Viking 1GB a 64MB unbranded and a 512Mb Sandisk. It must be something with the units themselves.

i still cant get this working using frodo i notice my gp2xkernel.img is in the root of everything so like not in mnt/sd or mnt/nand i ran that gp2xkernel.gpu to get it moved there. But i also noticed a directory actually called root in this same location maybe it needs to be copied to that folder?

I have the same problems you all were having.

Finally I managed to update the firmware by formatting the card to FAT32 as previously stated by prodo in this thread, but make sure you only have the IMG file alone on the card. No folders or other files.

Back