Universal Power Supply

myshadow

Still Fresh
ive been looking all over the internet for the official power supply but every site is out of stock. im not sure if this means that they have stopped making them or if its just going to take a while for back orders to come in. anyway i bought a universal power supply that i thought would work but it doesnt. here are the specs.

trisonic

universal ac-dc adaptor

model - TS-556 - 7PA

input - 110/220
60/50Hz
power - 18W

output - 1.5 - 3 - 4.5 - 6 - 7.5 - 9 - 12 V

current - 1000mA max

i have it set to center negative outside positive.

im using the 2.35mmx0.75mm plug

when i turn on my 2x (i have a f-100 mk II) nothing happens, if i have it running on batteries and plug in the pwer supply it kills the power (i assume thats because there is some sort of kill switch inside so you dont use battery power at the same time). also the plug that goes into the 2x fits but seems to be a little long, dont know if that might have anything to do with it.
any help would be appreciated

@ myshadow

Does the connector fit snugly in the GP2x`s power socket ?.

If so, I don`t see any problem with it not being compatible.

Remove your batteries, For the sake of testing.

Fit the connector that best fits the GP2x`s power socket.

Set the voltage to 3 volts.

Set the polarity to CENTRE NEGATIVE
powerplug-negative.jpg
. I know you mentioned it, But it can not be stressed enough.

You should be good to go.

Trooper

the plug fits snugly and i tried it on both polaritys because the instructions for the cord said if it diddnt work on one to try the other polarity. and before you ask that did not fry my 2x cause i put batteries back in and it works fine. i dont understand why it isnt working <_<

I've given you the link where to get the official gp2x adaptor from why don't you buy one they are much better than the normal adaptors they don't give any trouble.

sukhigp said:
I've given you the link where to get the official gp2x adaptor from why don't you buy one they are much better than the normal adaptors they don't give any trouble.

ill probably end up getting one its just kind of expensive and i would like to make this work if its possible

Last edited by a moderator:
It will cost you £22.00inc.p+p, which is quite expensive but does an excellent job i had problems like that then in the end i bought the official adaptor, i tell you one thing the adaptor socket aren't very good the gp2x kepps on switching off they don't fit tight enough the official one fits very secure and tight, i don't really recommened unofficial ones they are trouble makers i had these problems with them.

sukhigp definitely has a point, but seeing that you already bought an adapter, it would be nice to make it work.

It seems it's either the plug doesn't make proper contact or there is a problem in your GP2X that prevents it from working properly. Try checking if the adapter can power other devices.

i did set it to 3v and it can power other electronics

i just found out that it is getting some power. when i plug it in i get a low humming from the speakers and if i look at the screen under a light i can see the vertical lines you get when your batteries are dying. the back light does not come on so its really hard to see. also if i start up the 2x with batteries and then plug in the cord the power light will go off, the back light go's off and the screen freezes up (this is also really hard to see unless i hold it under a light). lastly if i plug it in when the 2x is hooked up to my cradle the cradle power light will come on.

does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? could the power supply be malfunctioning and not putting out enough volts or amps?

.....shit...... :angry:

thanks guys

myshadow said:
the plug fits snugly and i tried it on both polaritys because the instructions for the cord said if it diddnt work on one to try the other polarity. and before you ask that did not fry my 2x cause i put batteries back in and it works fine. i dont understand why it isnt working <_<
If you have tried both negative and positive polarity then you HAVE fried the gp2x, and you'll need to have it repaired. It'll still work with batteries, as the chip involved doesn't get used when running from batteries.

heres what i did

i turned up the voltage on my power cord to 4.5 and it makes the power light come on on my gp2x. i turned the voltage up to 6v and it will boot up to the green loading screen then power off and try to boot up again. i turned the voltage up to 9v and it will work as long as its not plugged into my cradle. i turned the voltage up to 12v and and it will boot up with the cradle and a usb controller but if i try to use tv out i just get a black screen with some white blurring at the bottom of my tv.

WTF?

i wonder if my power cord is just faulty and the voltage switch is wrong. or am i just forcing it to take to much power and if i use it this way it will eventually explode. anybody got any ideas? im fucking baffled.

You've fried the dc-dc converter (search the board for LTSK). Considering it's a step-up converter, if you force extra voltage into it, it will seem to work.

Considering your insane enough to run the gp2x at 12V, I'd expect other things to start failing pretty soon.

To power up the gp2x you need 3v/1a.
To power up the cradle you need 5v/3a.

Don't set it higher or lower than these settings or your gp2x or cradle will stop working, there isn't any fault with adaptor as you said it works with other electronic items, some adaptors have removable sockets front of the cord which in one pack they come in 7 types make sure you have inputted the positive and negative socket in the correct way (-/+) or (+/-)

Squidge said:
You've fried the dc-dc converter (search the board for LTSK). Considering it's a step-up converter, if you force extra voltage into it, it will seem to work.

Considering your insane enough to run the gp2x at 12V, I'd expect other things to start failing pretty soon.

i know it was an insane thing to do. im just kind of a douchebag when it comes to things not working the way i want them to. its like trying to put a square peg through a round hole, getting frustrated because its not working and going to get a sledge hammer :D

i do really appreciate your help though and i'll try not to be so retarded in the future. :p

Back