Nail_Eye said:
Can I use this AC/DC power supply with GP2X? :blink:

Hama Universal-Netzgerät 300
Universal AC/DC-adaptor

1,5-12V
Eigang: 230V-50Hz, 10 W
Ausgang: 1.5-3.0-4.5-6.0-7.5-9.0-12.0V
300mA, 3.6 VA MAX
The original adapter is 3,3V 2A.. not sure within what voltage range the gp2x takes, but the amps must be sufficient.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nail_Eye said:
Can I use this AC/DC power supply with GP2X? :blink:

Hama Universal-Netzgerät 300
Universal AC/DC-adaptor

1,5-12V
Eigang: 230V-50Hz, 10 W
Ausgang: 1.5-3.0-4.5-6.0-7.5-9.0-12.0V
300mA, 3.6 VA MAX
As stated on most GP2X's and all over this forum (ever heard of the search function?) you need at least a 1 amp PSU, preferably 2 amp.

i found a radioshack adapter (with an elbowed plug)
it goes from 3v to 7.5v @ 2 amps
i forgot how much i bought it for but it kicks ass
i would be way to scared to give it less than 2 amps

and ive noticed something (ive only had my GP2x for a short amount of time)
i have recharable batteries in the gp2x and with the power adapter plugged in it keeps recharging them, this may not be new to any of you but its definately new to me =D

sething said:
i have recharable batteries in the gp2x and with the power adapter plugged in it keeps recharging them, this may not be new to any of you but its definately new to me =D

It does? Dangerous, if anybody decided to leave alkaline batteries in there :s (not that alkaline batteries work anyway :rolleyes: )

mrsnature said:
sething said:

It does? Dangerous, if anybody decided to leave alkaline batteries in there :s (not that alkaline batteries work anyway :rolleyes: )

Naw. If you have batteries inside and plug the power adaptor, the batteries being stopped to use.
That's why the GP2X restarts if you plug the power adaptor in while the unit is on.
Thus if you play with power adaptor and batteries inside, you can remove the batteries with no effect ;)

Orkie said:
No, you need a 1A power supply.
For a geek you sure know nothing about power :p

Anyway it should work just fine, amps is the maximum current, a device won't take any more current than it needs (now overvoltage is a different thing entirely). Just set it to 3v.

so ok what type of adaptor should be used and where could you find 1 on the net in the uk ?

Another thing to note on the adapter topic is that the tip polarity is negitive

Thats a 9 Volt adapter, plug that into your GP2X and bye bye GP2X! This is more like the one you want http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...044&doy=7m5 - they do have a 4A version too, but its more expensive.

Remember, you can use a supply that has a higher Amp rating, but NOT a higher Voltage rating, the device will draw only the Amp it needs, but if you give it too much Voltage, it will fry!

yodaofborg said:
This is more like the one you want http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...044&doy=7m5 - they do have a 4A version too, but its more expensive.

I recently bought this adapter (not for my gp2x), seems to work great, but something you should know is that is only just a bit smaller than a house brick! Might be worth checking out the official adapter!

Probably a very silly question - but is there a power supply that will power both a Mk 1 gp2x and the craddle?

I presume that due to the different voltages this is not feasible... just don't really want to have to have 2 x power supplies to use the gp2x in the cradle.

Due to the GP2X and Cradle requiring different voltages, thats unlikely, running the cradle with less than 5V will result in a none starting GP2X MK1, and giving the GP2X 5V can and will damage it over time. If they both used the same Voltage, it would be as easy as buying a high amp AC, and then splitting the cables.

It would be possible to make a 5v to 3.6v (or even 3v to 5v) mod for one of the cables, but thats beyond the scope of this document.

Back