Unique

desijays

Still Fresh
Is there a way to uniquely identify each pandora that will ever be produced or manufactured?

There will most likely be a serial numbering system of some kind for warranty reasons amonst others.

Squidge said:
There will most likely be a serial numbering system of some kind for warranty reasons amonst others.

Would it be in software or just printed on a paper that is stuck on the pandora or will it be etched on the surface of the pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
desijays said:
Would it be in software or just printed on a paper that is stuck on the pandora or will it be etched on the surface of the pandora?

I would like mine printed in strawberry sauce on the outside, right edge of the device, and when I lick it off I expect there to be a nice sheen on the surface, later replaced by a mutant growth of bacteria from my mouth combined with the extremophiles from strawberry juice, which .. one day .. grows large enough to eat the heads off anyone who will crack software coded with the triple-DRM hotfudge of my serial number ..

Shaun. said:
It would be cool to have our names engraved.

dremel.jpg

Mine will be called Sam2 (pronounced Sam Zwo in German). :)

You could use the MAC-Address of the WiFi-Module. It can be changed probably, but anything can be circumvented. I guess most people wouldn't bother to do it.

Klaus said:

You could use the MAC-Address of the WiFi-Module. It can be changed probably, but anything can be circumvented. I guess most people wouldn't bother to do it.
Zwo? Bist n Bayrer oder was? :p

Heh, everything can be changed. This is Linux we're talking about.

dflemstr said:
Klaus said:

Zwo? Bist n Bayrer oder was? :p

Heh, everything can be changed. This is Linux we're talking about.

Hell no! But I'm originally from the Münsterland, they don't speak like Bavarians, but act and vote like them. ;) Zwo is commonly used in German because zwei and drei sound quite similar, especially on the phone or radio. Sam2 is the portable computer of Jonas in "Der letzte Detektiv", a Cyperpunk-esque/Noir radioplay that first aired in the early 80s.

And of course everything can be changed. Even if the Cortex-A8 had an unique digital serial number (I don't think so), you could probably modify the kernel-module that reports it.

Klaus said:
And of course everything can be changed. Even if the Cortex-A8 had an unique digital serial number (I don't think so), you could probably modify the kernel-module that reports it.

Ah yes. Thats what I'm talking about. A digital serial number within the Cortex CPU would be interesting and maybe lend itself for a few other potential applications ; )

So to all the cortex experts, my question to you is this.. : )

Does the cortex CPU have something like that? LIke a digital serial number or something? Or if not, does any other component on the pandora have anything similar to digital serial number that is hard wired in hardware?

desijays said:
Ah yes. Thats what I'm talking about. A digital serial number within the Cortex CPU would be interesting and maybe lend itself for a few other potential applications ; )

So to all the cortex experts, my question to you is this.. : )

Does the cortex CPU have something like that? LIke a digital serial number or something? Or if not, does any other component on the pandora have anything similar to digital serial number that is hard wired in hardware?

The technical reference is available here: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0344j/DDI0344J_cortex_a8_r3p2_trm.pdf
I couldn't find any reference to an unique id, but of course I didn't read all 764 pages. :) The Main ID and Silicon ID only give information about the configuration/manufacturer, if I read the doc correctly.

you guys are weirding me out now...
wonder if craig named his? lol

it will most likely be printed under the battery or near the FCC logo

In short: Probably not. Any sort of DRM can probably be circumvented because of open nature of the OS. Your best bet is probably to use serial keys that display the buyer's name, since that deters distribution without hassling anyone.

Back