A Few Questions About That There Pandora

paul4990

Still Fresh
Hello there.

I was looking at this pandora thingy, and as an owner of the GP2X, it looks rather interesting, then i saw only 4000 were made :(

Will more pandoras be produced or is it only 4000 ever.

if more are going to be produced:

How much is the pandora going to be in pounds

if not:
aww :(

thanks
paul

This is the first batch next batch is due in around 6 months time.
Around the 260 pound mark if I remember correctly.
You may still be able to get one from the first batch try mailing:
openpandorasales@gmail.com

thanks for the help

ill look into it later next year

which site is thew one to buy it off?

paulpwn3r said:
thanks for the help

The second batch will be available on gbax.com you might also considering signing up to the newsletter here: openpandora.org to get a mail when the 2nd batch ordering starts

Edit: the post below this one is the post to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
paulpwn3r said:
thanks for the help

Official page where to buy etc

Keep popping back to keep an eye on things though, don't wait 6 months, pre orders for 2nd batch may go quickly and you could miss out.

I'd actually go with the first response. There are a few buyers who are losing temper over the time it's been taking, and dropping ther pre-orders. If your lucky, you'll get one of those. If your unlucky, and return in 6 months, you might see the first batch hasn't shipped yet... (Hey, i did say unlucky...)
B!

Tokiopop said:
£266 for the Pandora. If they lower the price after I'm not gonna be happy.
Why not? Early adopters of any system always pay a premium. That is usually the price you pay for being in there first.

x68000 said:
Tokiopop said:
£266 for the Pandora. If they lower the price after I'm not gonna be happy.
Why not? Early adopters of any system always pay a premium. That is usually the price you pay for being in there first.
I'm the person that would rather wait a little and get it cheaper. If they lowered the prices for the second batch, I'd have rather waited for that than paid for more.

I think they said the price will go up...they'll want to make a profit at some point after all this work. :) However, prices for components may come down, who knows. But that would likely just increase the profit for the team. Which is why I've always stood by my pre-order...no sense canceling only to have to pay more later.

It all depends on which price they're going to stick to: 330 USD (or 340 USD, as it was mentioned the price would likely go up), or 200 GBP (or is that 230GBP)
The exchange rate now is a lot better than it was back in February and March, the prices are basically back to being the same (330 USD = 197 GBP).
So I would guess (just a guess) that either the GBP price is going to stay the same and the USD price is going to go up, or the USD price is going to stay the same (or +$10 rather), while the GBP price comes down.

edit: I meant "200 GBP (or is that 230GBP)" to account for the confusion on what the Brits seem to be paying vs the Americans.

The pound is getting a bit stronger against the dollar recently. Saw $1.65 for £1.00 tourist rate today.

I prepaid EUR 350+ for my Pandy (that's about 530 usd/315 gbp) and some accessories+dev fund. Still comes out cheaper than a gigantic umpc (not toy netbooks, umpc) I think. I won't be cancelling anytime :) It's going to be worth every cent IMHO. If you really can't wait, you're not getting the spirit of the Pandora, the design team, the devs and this community. The wait is part of the fun. Waiting for something to be born can be painful (think labour pain) but the end result is always worth it.

WizardStan said:
The exchange rate now is a lot better than it was back in February and March, the prices are basically back to being the same (330 USD = 197 GBP).

Did you remember to include VAT?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Did you remember to include VAT?
No I didn't, intentionally. The original price on the front page was 330 USD or 199 GBP, before VAT. After VAT, that would be about 230 GBP, but UKs are currently paying 266 GBP, which would be 230 GBP before VAT. So, assuming the exchange rate doesn't change between now and the second batch, either the price will remain at 230 GBP (before VAT) and come up to 385 USD for Americans, or stay at 330 USD and come back down to 200 GBP (before VAT) again for UKians.
Or they keep the difference the same. Every other product I've seen in the UK basically fails the exchange rate. ie, a big mac meal in the UK is about 6 GBP, a big mac meal in the US is about 6 USD. Most electronics that I noticed were X GBP there and (surprise) X USD here: same price, just different currency, despite the differences in exchange rate. By that logic, the UK should be grateful that it's *only* 230 GBP, and not 330 GBP :p

I hope that "Viciously Alarming Tax" was included in the price. I don't mind paying for 'dora but I really do wish that gov'mnt dropped "Very Avoidable Tax" for non-commercial products, so we could have "Very Amiable Toys" to play with instead of having to fall victim to "Vilifying Alcoholic Temptations" while we wait for similar innoVATions.

Which "Varying Alternative Text" would you prefer for V.A.T.? :)

Back