Unable to rip PS disc.

Not sure about what's wrong, but I don't think anyone would mind if you obtained the exact same dump elsewhere, since you own it anyway :)

I was trying a downloaded version of MegaMan Legends, but it just crashes after the intro. So I was gonna try ripping it myself to see if that worked, but I've run into this...

Ive run into games that crash after the intro video whilst using other PS emulators (ePSXe to be specific)

Changing the disc drive plugging fixed it for me (at the cost of the sound), so is it possibly something like that?

Okay I managed to get it to work :) . I had to disable dynarec(uber lag!) to get past the crash then I turned it back on and it works just fine!

Still wish I could rip my own games though.

I had some trouble ripping my own PS1 games in Ubuntu last month. The ripping went ok but then it seemed that the controls were messed up in the games. Turned out that you need a certain type of CD drive to get past the copy protection when copying the games.

Very annoying! Especially seeing as though I can't seem to be able to download a decent rip of Soul Reaver: Legacy of Cain whilst I have the original right next to me :(

Didn't see that tutorial before so I might have to give it a go, thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: That tutorial doesn't work for me at all. Can't seem to get it to read from the cd at all even though it's already mounted :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some trouble ripping my own PS1 games in Ubuntu last month. The ripping went ok but then it seemed that the controls were messed up in the games. Turned out that you need a certain type of CD drive to get past the copy protection when copying the games.

Very annoying! Especially seeing as though I can't seem to be able to download a decent rip of Soul Reaver: Legacy of Cain whilst I have the original right next to me :(

Didn't see that tutorial before so I might have to give it a go, thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: That tutorial doesn't work for me at all. Can't seem to get it to read from the cd at all even though it's already mounted :(

The CD should not be mounted when you run that command. That may even be the problem. :)

Also, in my experience cdrdao creates a .toc file rather than a .cue file. It doesn't care what you call it when you name it. Just because you make a file named "somegame.cue" doesn't mean it's not really a .toc file. You can convert the .toc file to a .cue file with the utility toc2cue, which comes with cdrdao. When I ripped my copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, PCSX ReARMed r8 wouldn't accept it as a valid disc image until I converted the .toc file to a .cue file, no matter which way I had the file named.

So whenever I try to run the command from http://pandorawiki.org/Creating_images_of_PSX_games_using_Linux it just tells me "WARNING: Unit not ready, still trying..." over and over again. The disc shows up as nothing to linux, completely unable to mount it. Am I doing something wrong?

If the disc won't mount, then your CDROM drive probably can't read it correctly. I know some optical drives don't seem to like Playstation discs (although most of those that I've seen were very old drives). It sounds like your drive is having trouble if it is sending a "Unit not ready" signal.

There is also the possibility that your CD drive is not /dev/sr0 . That is possible both because there are different types of drive interfaces and because you could have more than one CD drive that shows up as a SCSI device. It could be that /dev/sr0 is another drive on your computer and the one you want to use is /dev/sr1. If you want to be sure of what drives on your computer cdrdao does see, then just run:

Code:
cdrdao scanbus

It will then show the device names and descriptions of any drives that cdrdao recognizes.

Your device may not be /dev/sr0. Try replacing it with /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd /dev/cdrw It changes from system to system. THere are many other alternatives it could be.

It is /dev/sr0 I checked before trying. I'm guessing it's just a problem with the CD Drive. A few years ago I tried to play a game with ePSXe using the Drive and it wouldn't work. Oh well...

Back