Help! sdcard lost due to dead battery!

Their way of file allocation and indexing works entirely different, though. The simple structure of FAT based filesystem surely offers some potential to make educated guesstimations on how things are being written. For example, the FTL could directly analyze the FAT itself - imagine a really crappy FTL that expects the FAT at a fixed position and only finds garbage because the drive was formatted with ext3.
OK, so the controller may identify the clusters occupied by the file that is being read/written, so that it can guess ahead provided that the file is accessed sequentially. Why not skip this stage and optimize for contiguous reads/writes, given that FAT (and any other filesystem for that matter) makes an effort to allocate files contiguously?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because if it can readahead and cache the expected results ahead of time and therefore improve artificial test results over and above what it could actually acheive given the speed of the flash.

That wouldn't break ext formats, but there might be other optimisations made I suppose.

On topic: My tools all seem to write to it okay, but nothing changes after ejecting the unmounted card, and inserting it again. even rebooting without the card and reinserting and mounting, no changes. Tried fdisk as well now to no avail. As I said, badblocks reported countless errors on the 3rd cycle through, while doing a write test.

I think the little poc is gone for good. Will look into buying a better sdcard and use an external hdd/ smaller sd cards instead for now.

Thanks for all your advice people!

I have had one of these as my main card for about 7-8 months now and it's worked flawlessly.

At 256GB for under $90, I'm considering buying a 2nd.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-256GB-Speed/dp/B00FF90EZM/
I have one of these for my music.

It seems to be somewhat unstable.

Even if It's mostly used for read only purpose (listening to music) it looses Data from time to time.

It happened several times already that a complete folder was empty. Simply lost the files.

It's always a complete directory that's empty.

little update: the sdcard is done for. don't know what exactly could've happened to it, but I am certain that the damage is not recoverable.

I bought a tiny 1TB drive, the pandora powers it without a hub or anything. This is a great addition to my accessories. I copied the pnds I really need to my slackware sdcard and use the hdd for music and rom collection, also for owncloud sync. works great so far! I will buy a sandisk 128gb card next month when I can afford it, thanks for all your advice. cheers!

I have had one of these as my main card for about 7-8 months now and it's worked flawlessly.

At 256GB for under $90, I'm considering buying a 2nd.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-256GB-Speed/dp/B00FF90EZM/
I have one of these for my music.

It seems to be somewhat unstable.

Even if It's mostly used for read only purpose (listening to music) it looses Data from time to time.

It happened several times already that a complete folder was empty. Simply lost the files.

It's always a complete directory that's empty.
tryed running H2testw on your card?

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/h2testw/

Back