Usb Not Working?

ljones

Hello all :)

I'm having a problem with my pandoras' USB. I have a small external (2.5") SATA hdd in a frame which claims it is USB 2.0 Hi-speed compatible. If I plug it into my pandora (via the USB A Connector at the back of the pandora) it dosen't seem to be detected (but it is powered up). I'm unable to mount it in fact it is not even showing up at the command line with lsusb which returns nothing.

I've also tried a normal USB mouse and a USB soundcard (to try to test USB); the LED inside the USB soundcard lit up but again lsusb returned nothing x.x .

Anyone know what could be wrong?

EDIT: Looks like my HDD frame isn't USB Hi-speed compatible after all even though it says so it is (the USB Hi-speed logo is printed on it).I tried a USB card reader which has the same USB Hi-speed logo on it and that works. Nothing showed up in lsusb though .... Hmm ---- !

While I'm here can anyone recommend a good mini USB to normal sized USB adapter for the pandora so I can plug in a normal USB mouse?

ljones

Dead1nside said:
Have you tried using a hub just in case?

Nope....actually just tried that now, and a usb mouse works through my usb hub :) . Nothing from lsusb at the command line though (odd).

D'oh's, should've thought of a usb hub thanks for the help!, :)

ljones

Last edited by a moderator:
Mice often mascarade as Hi Speed devices but are often USB 1.1. I'd expect the hard drive to be USB 2. Any USB device I plug into my Linux laptop shows up in 'lsusb', even the hub.

ljones said:
While I'm here can anyone recommend a good mini USB to normal sized USB adapter for the pandora so I can plug in a normal USB mouse?
Sounds like your problems are solved for now, but I'll answer this one anyway. To use the OTG (mini) port as a host port, you need an OTG adapter - not just a regular mini USB adapter. Like these:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=usb+otg+adapter&_sacat=0&_odkw=usb+otg+host+cable&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=OTG+Cable+Adapter&x=3&y=23

This will allow you to plug in USB1.1 devices without using a hub. The OTG port can only supply 100mA though, so don't go plugging in your 1.1 HDDs unless they have an external power supply. :)

The problem with the harddisk might be power usage (hooray for mechanical parts etc.). Even though it's not allowed to take that much current according to the spec, it probably still does and your computer (at least many do) provides it - however, Pandora most likely won't.
The mouse might just not be USB2.0. Consider pugging it in the OTG port or use a Hub. Double-check with PC what sort of device it is (lsusb -v should help).

Yeah most likely power related. I have quite a few devices that dont supply enough power to power a 2.5" USB drive. Some USB drives come with two USB cables for extra power too. Your best bet would be a Powered USB Hub.

When you plug in the HDD, feel it, I bet you'll feel it constantly spinning up then stopping again.

Yep, I also thinks it needs too much power. Most harddrives do. And I used various USB 2.0 Sticks without any problems.

ljones said:
I'm having a problem with my pandoras' USB. I have a small external (2.5") SATA hdd in a frame which claims it is USB 2.0 Hi-speed compatible.
There's a big difference between USB 2.0 Compatible and USB 2.0 Compliant. Most 2.5" harddisks are the former, rather than the later (the amusing thing is that they normally make a big deal about a USB 2.0 Compliant *cable*)

Anyone know if I'll be able to plug in a Nikon DSLR camera to email pics without a powered hub?

Cheers.

finisterre said:
Anyone know if I'll be able to plug in a Nikon DSLR camera to email pics without a powered hub?

Cheers.

I don't see why not when attached to the USB Host port. The camera'll provide the power, the Pandora will just create the link. It's not like you're trying to trickle charge your camera from the Pandora or anything like that.

Dead1nside said:
finisterre said:

Cheers.

I don't see why not when attached to the USB Host port. The camera'll provide the power, the Pandora will just create the link. It's not like you're trying to trickle charge your camera from the Pandora or anything like that.

I guess it may depend if the camera has Mass Storage Mode or whatever it's called. ISTR that the D70 does and the D300 doesn't.

If any has a Nikon D70 or D300 I'd love it if you could try.

Thanks.

Back