Umpcportal's Opinion On The Pandora

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/05/pandora-...phone-platform/

I really like Pandora as a device in it’s own right as it appears to satisfy most of my portable device requirements. In theory it should be able to return a Firefox experience that’s as fast as a low-end MID with Internet page load times being an estimated 30-50% quicker [my estimation] than on high-end smartphones. The application and UI development appears to have a long way to go (development systems are only just going out the door now) and that’s a problem that needs to be overcome but ignore my desires for Pandora for a minute and take a wider view on this. Take this architecture, put it in a mobile phone form factor and drop the Android OS, app and GUI suite on top, link-in the necessary online storage and content components, add the docking port (USB? Wireless USB?) and software hooks to a sub $200 X terminal Eee-PC style device that contains a larger battery and you have exactly that modular mobile PC. Smartphone-to-PC.

I personally like Chippy. He gives a very good user POV on mobile devices without getting too technical.

EDIT: Spelling mistake in topic title. Oh the humanity~

Nice.

But I'm not sure I want all these people reading about Pandora until AFTER I received mine. :p I get the feeling it's gonna be pretty popular.

yea i'm kinda getting nervous. i don't want joe somebody who read about it from this article to get it before me (i know it's selfish, i don't care. i've known about it longer than he has).

magicman5421 said:
yea i'm kinda getting nervous. i don't want joe somebody who read about it from this article to get it before me (i know it's selfish, i don't care. i've known about it longer than he has).
You're damn right it is. HEY, I've been on these forums since like 2006, I should get mine WAY before you, right? Stop being pricks. I would at least think you would want more sales for Craig and Co.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got nervous for my pre-order weeks ago. In reality, though, I'd rather see my order get delayed a few months if that means the Craigix folks get tons of orders. Hats off to them for one of the best hand-helds yet! :D

joelll said:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/05/pandora-...phone-platform/

Did you read the article and not just the headline?

Devices like these are nothing much more than smartphones running Linux and placed in notebook casings. I sound very negative when saying that but it shouldn’t be taken that way...

He goes on to give a glowing review of the Pandora. Basically, what he is saying is the guts of the Pandora is made up of stuff that has, or will eventually, find its way into a smartphone. So - this powerful hand held, non-phone device *highlights* how far smartphones have come, in spite of not being one itself.

chad78 said:
He goes on to give a glowing review of the Pandora. Basically, what he is saying is the guts of the Pandora is made up of stuff that has, or will eventually, find its way into a smartphone. So - this powerful hand held, non-phone device *highlights* how far smartphones have come, in spite of not being one itself.
Heh... And I thought the Nokia N8x0 had done that much so far. Those are amazing in and of themselves- you and I both know that story. :D What they're reaching for in the Pandora's like a couple of orders of magnitude more- and the smart phones aren't quite to Nokia's space with the Maemo machines yet...yet.

Svartalf said:
chad78 said:
Heh... And I thought the Nokia N8x0 had done that much so far. Those are amazing in and of themselves- you and I both know that story. :D What they're reaching for in the Pandora's like a couple of orders of magnitude more- and the smart phones aren't quite to Nokia's space with the Maemo machines yet...yet.

I have to say, i'm very interested in seeing how Pandora performs with genral computing tasks.
Anyone know where I can get one for testing?

Its an amazing job. Well done to everyone involved.

Steve (UMPCPortal)

icurafu said:
I personally like Chippy. He gives a very good user POV on mobile devices without getting too technical.

EDIT: Spelling mistake in topic title. Oh the humanity~
Much appreciated!

Pandora is pretty much what my 'Carrypad' ideal device is all about so while I do a lot of UMPC talk, i'm open minded about other platforms that will move into the mobile computing category. Unfortuntely i'm not a gamer but I can see where this is heading!

Regards to all
Steve (UMPCPortal)

stevechippy said:
I have to say, i'm very interested in seeing how Pandora performs with genral computing tasks.
The current (MK0) release is only for developers, since all the software and firmware that would've run on it is currently under development. You can look here if you're still interested: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41837

Otherwise, get in the back. I was here first. ;)

stevechippy said:

Its an amazing job. Well done to everyone involved.

Steve (UMPCPortal)
I'll let you know as soon as I get mine for testing. :)

The finished product isn't available yet. The dates "June/July" have been the official word for a while. But an August push back is a possibility. Some developers have testing kits - but they aren't exactly the same as the finished product. I don't know if Craig and Co. would send one of those out for a review or not. But here is really the place to ask.

PoisonedV said:
magicman5421 said:
You're damn right it is. HEY, I've been on these forums since like 2006, I should get mine WAY before you, right? Stop being pricks. I would at least think you would want more sales for Craig and Co.

I've been around since before the gp2x. :p

Anyway yeah. This could be a good thing that other people know about it. Maybe some smart phone or umpc devs will hop on and give some good stuff.

Back