Ubuntu On The Gp2x? Possible?

clean_sandwich

Still Fresh
hey guys, i am wondering if you can install Ubuntu onto the gp2x

I have seen elsewhere that people are putting the OS on other platforms and slower pc's. so, just for fun, would it be possible to install it onto the gp2x and use it like a desktop pc? there is mouse and keyboard support for the gp2x and mac OS 7 works on it, so what do ya think?

possible?

I think this community would like to see many different things running on their GP2X even they are usuless. Just to say that "Hey look what I'm running on my super geek device!". :D

hal9000 said:
Mac OS 7? You're probably talking about emulation. Emulating a PC, and install Ubuntu in it sounds silly.

Installing a Ubuntu distribution compiled for ARM sounds a bit less silly (but still silly). You can have a look at that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmbeddedUbuntu

no, i didnt mean putting apple os on and then ubuntu, that would be silly.

ubuntu is my favorite operating system i just thought it would be kinda cool to have ubuntu on my gp2x. . mostly for showing off but i do like how people are fitting linux on devices like, ipods and cell phones.

its geeky but hey, i think it would be fun to have it on board even with the f-200 coming out. use the touch screen for mouse emulation. but what do i know, i am not a programmer. i have alot of high hopes for the new gp2x. ;)

maybe im dreaming but i think its a cool idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
clean_sandwich said:
hal9000 said:
Mac OS 7? You're probably talking about emulation. Emulating a PC, and install Ubuntu in it sounds silly.

Installing a Ubuntu distribution compiled for ARM sounds a bit less silly (but still silly). You can have a look at that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmbeddedUbuntu

ubuntu is my favorite operating system i just thought it would be kinda cool to have ubuntu on my gp2x. . mostly for showing off but i do like how people are fitting linux on devices like, ipods and cell phones.

its geeky but hey, i think it would be fun to have it on board even with the f-200 coming out. use the touch screen for mouse emulation. but what do i know, i am not a programmer. i have alot of high hopes for the new gp2x. ;)

maybe im dreaming but i think its a cool idea.

Its a "cool" idea for sure, but it all starts to fall apart when you realise that with no native network support you would have to teather you handheld to do anything much, even WITH a touch screen - what would you do with it ?

I have Familiar linux loaded on my iPaq 5500, it works and it has the features I need (hand held SSH is all I wanted from it in reality) - but without any network built in I cant say i could use Ubuntu on the GP2X at all.

clean_sandwich said:

It is not what I meant. I just meant that MacOS is running on GP2X through emulation, whereas you want (I guess) to install a native ARM-based Ubuntu. These things are completely different.

I don't think that porting Ubuntu is very realisitic (maybe through this project I linked to), but it is likely that the interest for projects like GP2X11, Open2x will raise with F200.

so how about it? anyone want to try out this project idea?

i would myself but i dont know how to code. but i will sure cheer the person on whoever wants to give it a shot.

it still seems fun to me to have a linux OS such as ubuntu or any other version on the gp2x.

the nokia 770 runs debian. the point of getting any debian-based distro working on any linux device is that it gives you access to a plethora of packages pre-compiled for the platform. debian-arm covers a significant fraction of all debian packages, mostly excluding games.

If someone were to try it the ARM version would be the most practical, the PC based variant needs a 400+Mhz processor and 256mb of memory to function at a tolerable speed.
Factor in the emulation and the measly 200Mhz cpu and 64Mb of memory and you have a nightmare... :ph34r:

Yes I know people run Ubuntu on all sorts of slower computers, but they usually do it "just because" and the end result is horrifically slow...

15 minutes to load up anyone? :p

Andrewr05 said:
If someone were to try it the ARM version would be the most practical, the PC based variant needs a 400+Mhz processor and 256mb of memory to function at a tolerable speed.
Factor in the emulation and the measly 200Mhz cpu and 64Mb of memory and you have a nightmare... :ph34r:

Yes I know people run Ubuntu on all sorts of slower computers, but they usually do it "just because" and the end result is horrifically slow...

15 minutes to load up anyone? :p
uhm... what emulation?

No; it's more than possible to compile a Linux kernel to run on ARM9 CPUs (that's what it natively runs). Ubuntu is just a distribution of the Linux kernel with the X11 windowing system and a slew of applications. Most recognizable are things like the KDE/Gnome desktop environments you can pick from. Really, you'd do better to just add X11 and a simple window manager, like Blackbox or something else minimalist, than to try and port the enormous suite of software that is Ubuntu. It's all geared for a semimodern PC, and even a low-end PC by that spec is more than several orders of magnitude more powerful and resourceful in every department.

woogal said:
It already runs linux. What's the point in trying to get ubuntu on there?
He probably thinks ubuntu = gnome

The point of trying to get ubuntu, or more specifically any debian-based distro, is that when you get that working then you instantly get access to THOUSANDS of precompiled packages, to be installed from a package manager. After using the Nokia 770 (linux based pdaish thing, based on debian, non-open hardware), I dread going back to the GP2X's horrible software situation.

Sparr said:
The point of trying to get ubuntu, or more specifically any debian-based distro, is that when you get that working then you instantly get access to THOUSANDS of precompiled packages, to be installed from a package manager. After using the Nokia 770 (linux based pdaish thing, based on debian, non-open hardware), I dread going back to the GP2X's horrible software situation.
See sig.

die sig. until someone has posted videos of the craiginator, its vapor.

Back