Tv Resolutions 4 Gaming

pgunning1

Still Fresh
hi guys had a gp32/gizmondo, now lookin at either psp or gp2x, I like the tv out feature on the gp2x, but no games as yet :blink: , lets hope they turn up soon, but how will they look on telly??? if on 320x240 they will look terrible :angry:

the website is saying play games on the telly but if they look like a zx spectrum whats the point?

is there any links to games the uk shop don't know of any and just refer back to gp32x but no games that i've seen??

any info would be great or a psp will be on its way soon :( .

cheers
paul

Why will they look terrible? I assume you've played on a megadrive before? The graphics on those were only 320x240, and it looked great :)

hi guys had a gp32/gizmondo, now lookin at either psp or gp2x, I like the tv out feature on the gp2x, but no games as yet :blink: , lets hope they turn up soon, but how will they look on telly??? if on 320x240 they will look terrible :angry:

the website is saying play games on the telly but if they look like a zx spectrum whats the point?

is there any links to games the uk shop don't know of any and just refer back to gp32x but no games that i've seen??

cheers
paul

This has probably been covered in the faq, but if you've encoded your video for TV resolution, the GP2X can scale it up to that resolution in hardware when you're running it through the TV, according to the word around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The movies will play at up to 640x480 if the resolution is that size. I'm unsure about the emulators, but I'm assuming they will be 320x240, although it may depend on the emulator.

I am not really sure that 320x240 will look that bad on the telly. I mean, tv resolution is quite bad to begin with (540i i think?) something like that.. so it wont look nearly as bad as, say, playing GBA games on your desktop pc at more than 1x magnification.

i remember playing normal GB games on my snes when I was a kid, and it didnt look horrid, and original GB had a much smaller resolution.. of course, time fades small matters like that..

On a different note, i think there is a GBA player for the gamecube, and, the GBA has a smaller than 320 by 240 resolution.. so.. if nintendo thinks that GBA games are playable on a TV, then, i dont see why GP2x games would look that bad.

Feel free to correct me if this isnt the case. promise i wont take offense

...if on 320x240 they will look terrible :angry:

Even some PS2 games run at 320x240. While a PC monitor is so sharp that 320x240 looks absolutely terrible, a (nonhigh definition) TV isn't as sharp and thus 320x240 looks just fine. Most PS1 games used 320x240, as well as most SNES games, all Genesis/Megadrive games (AFAIK), etc.

-OCA|

Most emulated consoles have a low resolution (SNES for example 256x224). Homebrew-Games may use a higher resolution if you use the TV-Out. (shouldn't be a problem as most of them don't need too much processor power)

cheers
paul

320x240 is fine on an analog TV

SNES:
Resolution: between 256x224 and 512x448.

Sega Genesis:
Resolution: Up to 320×240 (40×30 cells) for PAL, and up to 320×224 (40×28 cells) for NTSC

Neo-Geo:
Display resolution: 304x224

Playstation:
Resolutions from 256×224 to 640×480

Sorry guys i am confussed if i play a pc game at a low res say 640 x 480 it doesn't look that good, at 320 x 240 i would have thought it would have looked twice as bad.

The fact that it plays on the telly is cool, but whats the point if it looks ropey.

Thanks for the comments i'm learning all the time :D

Paul

Sorry guys i am confussed if i play a pc game at a low res say 640 x 480 it doesn't look that good, at 320 x 240 i would have thought it would have looked twice as bad.

The fact that it plays on the telly is cool, but whats the point if it looks ropey.

Thanks for the comments i'm learning all the time :D

Paul

I don't know how we can make this any clearer. Every console system you've ever plugged into a TV has used resolution of around 320x240, the GP2X will look just as good as they did.

Clear enough 4 me thanks. They just look about bearable then.

But what games are there for this machine, that are ready to play ( although this is probably posted elsewhere i'm sure)

Paul

But what games are there for this machine, that are ready to play ( although this is probably posted elsewhere i'm sure)

There aren't any for the masses yet. ;)

640x480 is standard NTSC 4:3 format. I sat through an entire lecture about HDTV's at Digital Life 2005. 640x480 is regular TV broadcasting rate, so it will look just like a regular tv program.

Back