My Consideration About Mobile Gaming

spider_jerusalem

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi there!

This is not a flame, just what I think....

Well, everytime I hear about a portable Gaming System, Im sure it will commercially fail. Why? 'Cause there's no support from big studios, so, no blockbuster games. Also, those companies arent as big as Nintendo-Sony-MS (okay, ms hasnt any mobile game device... but they entered (?) on console market already with a big know-how from the pc) to get into this market with high possibilities of succes. Do the guys from iRiver really thnk they can be a PSP killer? Have you seen any annuncement for this iRiver gaming device? Not only iRiver, but for the XGP? If they want to compete with Sony/Nintendo, they shoudl look for big studios support, shouldnt they?

IMO, they should not look for directly competition against those portables consoles, but a paralelal comercial market, with good games from known companies and etc. otherwise, they should focous on the dev communitie... but then I think it wouldnt be a healthy business... he!

so, if I have to pick up another (besides my nintendo ds) mobile device for gaming and multi-media, I will surelly select gp2x... for de dev thing and cause I love to play old games, specially, those I've never played before. Also, I think it does the job quite well for playing multi-media.

that's all

guess there are 100 of topis like this, but I had to come here and post my opnion...

btw, I have a question.... is there any game annouced for the XGP? a comercial game from a big company and stuff?

cheers!

I think there was a statement Game Park made about xgp would be able to run Quake 3, but I can't really support the credability in Game Park's statement.

Hi there!

This is not a flame, just what I think....

Well, everytime I hear about a portable Gaming System, Im sure it will commercially fail. Why? 'Cause there's no support from big studios, so, no blockbuster games. Also, those companies arent as big as Nintendo-Sony-MS (okay, ms hasnt any mobile game device... but they entered (?) on console market already with a big know-how from the pc) to get into this market with high possibilities of succes. Do the guys from iRiver really thnk they can be a PSP killer? Have you seen any annuncement for this iRiver gaming device? Not only iRiver, but for the XGP? If they want to compete with Sony/Nintendo, they shoudl look for big studios support, shouldnt they?

Naturally. For a console succes software support is everything. No blockbuster games - no sales. Tech's specs have secondary importance here. The gp2x's has overall much better specs (way faster cpus, superior video and memory capacity) than say Nintendo DS yet no one should expect gp2x competing directly with Nintendo. GPH, Iriver and others can only offer media players with added gaming as a bonus. This is valid aproach as (especially fo Iriver) there is market for media players and something extra will be like icing on a cake.

In that light gp2x is great machine indeed. Thought having "growing pains" in a form of various issues the whole concept is just right.

It'd be better if various manufactures of such devices could make agreement about common API and JAVA like language. This way we would get a common platform and it'd sparkle more interest for developers (wrote aplication once and then just recompile or even it wouldn't be necessary to have wide compatibility).

IMO, they should not look for directly competition against those portables consoles, but a paralelal comercial market, with good games from known companies and etc. otherwise, they should focous on the dev communitie... but then I think it wouldnt be a healthy business... he!

No. Look at the GPH - it sold only about 30.000 of GP32 and yet is survived. Even latest GHP's product the gp2x is using common parts so manufacturing costs must be very low. It's low input low output business and there is nothing wrong with it. Except of course situation when company wants to compete directly with established firms like Nintendo or Sony. But this is stupidity.

so, if I have to pick up another (besides my nintendo ds) mobile device for gaming and multi-media, I will surelly select gp2x... for de dev thing and cause I love to play old games, specially, those I've never played before. Also, I think it does the job quite well for playing multi-media.

that's all

guess there are 100 of topis like this, but I had to come here and post my opnion...

btw, I have a question.... is there any game annouced for the XGP? a comercial game from a big company and stuff?

XGP is an ambitious project. I don't know what it will be using for its hardware but things like 3d acceleration are certain. But... of course it will drive price up and unlike Sony there will not be possibility to subsidize unit's price as there will not be any significant number of commercial games for this system. So... unless XGP get serious funding (by investors or third party) we might conclude it will flop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back