Tv-out Resolutions

brt

Still Fresh
As it's my first post on this forum, I'd like to say Hi to all of You.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but browsing the forum (and I read it ~regular for half a year now) I've never found an answer to the question I'd like to ask:

Will Pandora's TV out be capable to use original arcade games resolutions (for example: 288x224, 320x240...)?

What I would like to know is, will the pandora be able to display superior resolution other than 800x480? Like 800x600 in 4/3 format.

Brt said:
As it's my first post on this forum, I'd like to say Hi to all of You.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but browsing the forum (and I read it ~regular for half a year now) I've never found an answer to the question I'd like to ask:

Will Pandora's TV out be capable to use original arcade games resolutions (for example: 288x224, 320x240...)?
Excellent question, perhaps the data sheet for the OMAP would enlighten us:

Pandora Wiki page of links: http://pandorawiki.org/Hardware_documentation

38mb PDF on the 35XX series OMAP: http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/spruf98a

I will take a look at the PDF and see if there is any info.

For future reference, most hardware like this is documented, and simply reading the manual will provide the necessary info. To get the manual simply find out what chip(s) are being used, then go to the manufacturers website and look for the documentation.

Aries said:
What I would like to know is, will the pandora be able to display superior resolution other than 800x480? Like 800x600 in 4/3 format.
NO! It is only capable of S-Video/Composite video out. There are no TV's that display anything other than the PAL/NTSC standard for those resolutions (which isn't 800x480).

The only external video interface on the OMAP 3530 is an S-Video/Composite interface, any other interface would require additional chips that simply do not fit in this form factor (at least not at this price range, the PCB would need more layers and a very difficult redesign).

I'm back, that PDF is HUGE! 3446 pages!

A partial answer is available on Page 2395:

Note: The following display controller registers must be programmed to the NTSC 601 video
standard:
DSS. DISPC_SIZE_DIG [10:0] PPL = 720 - 1 = 719 = 0x2CF
DSS. DISPC_SIZE_DIG [26:16] LPP = (482/2) - 1 = 240 = 0xF0
DSS.DISPC_GFX_BA0 or DSS.DISPC_VIDn_BA0 = Base address of even field data
DSS.DISPC_GFX_BA1 or DSS.DISPC_VIDn_BA1 = Base address of odd field data

This seems to indicate that you should feed the TV Out with 720x480.

The driver might be able to provide better info on actual usage than just the registers for controlling the S-Video output.

It doesn't seem like this is a multi-purpose output chip, but it might be tweakable, just don't ask me how because I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
<cut>
The driver might be able to provide better info on actual usage than just the registers for controlling the S-Video output.

It doesn't seem like this is a multi-purpose output chip, but it might be tweakable, just don't ask me how because I have no idea.
Thanks for Your answer :) I guess we'll have to wait for real device (and its drivers) to get final answer then.

NickLoTurco said:
You have way too much time on your hands nubie!
eh, I just scanned ~30 pages of the document. But yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

Back