Tv Out (yet Again...)

ObiWanJabrone

Still Fresh
I know this has probably been asked so many times so I apologise.

But please can somebody tell me exactly what equipment I need to connect the GP2X to my TV?

I already have the TV out cable (all 3 connectors are female) my TV doesn't seem to have an S-Video input but instead has the red, white and yellow female connections.

I did manage to get the sound working by connecting male-to-male phono leads into the GP2X TV out cable, then connecting the remaining male-to-male audio to my TV. But the sound was quite low.

I live in the U.K and my TV does both NTSC and PAL.

You need an Svideo-> Composite adapter. Theyre around 4 bucks.

Out of curiosity, how did you get sound to come out when you cant navigate to an application without seeing the screen?

Robotube posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:19 AM said:
You need an Svideo-> Composite adapter. Theyre around 4 bucks.

Out of curiosity, how did you get sound to come out when you cant navigate to an application without seeing the screen?

I got the sound by connecting a male to male phono cable [gold plated from my satilite receiver for my surround sound system] into the red and white female inputs on the GP2X TV out cable.

On my GP2X I have a sound for when the system boots up, that's how I knew I got the sound working. It came both out my TV and the GP2X itself, but the sound on the TV was very low.

Thanks for your reply I will check eBay for the cable you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a look at the S-Video composite adapter(s) as mentioned above, on eBay and Google. But they have been mostly female phono at one end and a female S-Video on the other - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables...ters/op=eq.html

Now I know two female S-Video can't connect together so what I'm looking for is a male S-Video connection at one end to connect to the GP2X TV out cable, and a male phono at the other to connect to my TV (?) Does this cable or adapter even exist?! :S

And what about the red and white surely if you use a seperate male to male audio phono cable the sound won't be good [like I mentioned in my first post above].

I'm so confused and lost now, I'm sorry.

Ugh, why did the GP2X TV out cable have to be 3 female's...?

I'll probably get battered in the forum but it's there in black and white "TV OUT" right? If it was "TV IN" it would be 3 male connectors instead huh?

I don't know if you guys have Radio Shack in the UK, but they'll have it there. If there's no Radio Shack, any place that sells audio adapters, parts or cables should have it. I'd recommend buying it at a brick & mortar place just in case it doesn't work.

There are 2 version of TV out cables out there....you got the female one. And its giving you a headache...how appropriate! (just kidding)

Well, what you will need is gender changers (or 'gender benders' as they're sometimes jokingly called.) They do have them for both Svideo and for Phono. Phono ones are extremely common, though Svideo ones are a little harder to come by. However, if you have a female Svide TV out, all you will need is an svideo extension cable, since they're male/male. That will solve your problem.

Can't believe there is 2 versions of GP2X TV in/out cable out there and I happened to get the female one, oh my god that's like so GRRRRRRR and yes it is giving me headache lol.

What about this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H21K-S-Video-TV-out-...1QQcmdZViewItem it has a male s-video at one end [4 pin] and a male phono at the other end. But it's "RCA"...

That just leaves the audio phono's if that cable is any worthy.

The male ones were manufactured at a bad factory. So be glad you don't have one.

Get an svideo cable (male->male). Also get the svideo to composite converter (male->male, like the one you posted earlier). Then you can just plug the svideo cable into the tvout cable and the converter into the other end, and finally to the tv.

RCA and phono mean the same thing. Audio RCA/phono cables work ok for video. But you won't need one with that.

Blah posted on Aug 18 2006 at 04:58 AM said:
Get an svideo cable (male->male). Also get the svideo to composite converter (male->male, like the one you posted earlier). Then you can just plug the svideo cable into the tvout cable and the converter into the other end, and finally to the tv.

I'm thinking the s-video cable you mentioned has to be male-female because the cable I posted on eBay earlier has a male s-video.

Unless you were referring to the other one, I've just woke up so ugh lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the model with the female S-Video? In which case, this lead would be best to get. Connect the headphone jack to your GP2X's headphone socket and the S-Video male on the same side to the TV-Out cable's S-Video connector. This will mean that you'll get sound through your TV only, instead of both your GP2X and your TV, which is a problem with the TV-Out function. Quality will be the same.

You'll still need the S-Video Male->Composite Male converter you posted above.

Back