Tv Out Software Video Scaler?

clean_sandwich

Still Fresh
i have been reading alot on tv out problems and 1/2 fixes

seems everyone is having a huge problem with over scanning on their tv's and so am I

now, what i am wondering is why doesnt anyone make a software scaler? i dont think it would be too tough to make. just a video adjust thats a bit easier to use than the default one.

well, i know my centuries old video capture card had one when outputs to tv. im wondering if gamepark holdings is working on one or not, or if anyone out there is.

well, i have been reading that some programs for the gp2x, (i cant remember off the top of my head) have a fix for the overscan problem in the program itself, but only for the program. maybe with emulators, they could make the output shrink a bit or maybe make a border around it on purpose to eliminate the overscan problem.

well, i hope something does come up.

for my tv, i cant do the fix with the service mode and all that. i tried.

i just hope some sort of video fix comes out soon.

There are at least 2 different customizable hardware scalers in the gp2x. If for example a programmer set the resolution a bit higher than what he really needs and centered the output with the rest being a black border, that would take care of the overscan. Not much work has been put into the tv out on most programs, there are a few people who are trying new things though.

A few people are working on it (in my case, very slowly). The problem is that although the chip should support various modes including PAL and NTSC game modes (320x240, with overscan corrected), GPH never implemented them in the driver so everything just runs in the PAL and NTSC dvd modes instead (720x480 or 720x576 with full overscan). The quick fix (for individual apps) is instead of creating a main 320x240 surface and drawing everything to that as normal (which will scale up so it looks a bit crap and stuff disappears off the edges of the screen), create a 360x240 (NTSC) or 360x288 (PAL) main surface instead, and draw to the central 320x240 area (no scaling, and will fix some of the overscan, maybe even all of it for PAL).

clean_sandwich posted on Feb 3 2007 at 06:55 AM said:
i have been reading alot on tv out problems and 1/2 fixes

seems everyone is having a huge problem with over scanning on their tv's and so am I

now, what i am wondering is why doesnt anyone make a software scaler? i dont think it would be too tough to make. just a video adjust thats a bit easier to use than the default one.

well, i know my centuries old video capture card had one when outputs to tv. im wondering if gamepark holdings is working on one or not, or if anyone out there is.

well, i have been reading that some programs for the gp2x, (i cant remember off the top of my head) have a fix for the overscan problem in the program itself, but only for the program. maybe with emulators, they could make the output shrink a bit or maybe make a border around it on purpose to eliminate the overscan problem.

well, i hope something does come up.

for my tv, i cant do the fix with the service mode and all that. i tried.

i just hope some sort of video fix comes out soon.
Well, you can't really fix something that isn't broken. and software scaling is useless with the kind of power we have to work with.

Why can't you get the service menu? If it isn't available for your TV via a front panel code then it is inside, take your TV in and have it professionally adjusted, it obviously needs it anyway.

What TV do you have anyway? If you have the codes to get into the menu, print them out and follow them as you try it. It takes me a couple tries to make it into mine the first time until you get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back