For A Split Second Tv-out Works...

ste_167

Website
Visit site
When launching a program from gmenu2x, it zooms out for a moment to show the full screen but then reverts to cutting off an annoying amount on the right-hand side.

I've messed about with my tv's overscan with no success (not an LCD/plasma) but the above must prove that the problem lies with the GP2X's output? The cropping seems to vary from program to program too.

Still, any output is great, so I won't complain. Do you get the full screen with an LCD tv?

I have the same issue, tried both with my 20" CRT TV, and my friends 5X" plasma TV, and both seem to cut off a lot from the top and the bottom, and the sides too, I think.

Mine does it on the right and bottom. It looks like about 25 pixs. on the right and 10 off the bottom.

The only thing that I have found that I can get perfect video is my ATI 550 TV card. It gives me a nice full pic with no cut offs. I have tried 2 other TV cards and they all do the same cut off as the TVs.

developpers need to implement some mechanism to deal with overscan. it doesn't just work out of the box well it does actually with sdl but then u have the part that gets cut off like ure all saying here.

What i do with my games is first detect if tv out mode is on or not and if it is i create a screen surface of 360x288 and. (the normal screen size is 320x240) so there's about 40 extra pixels to the left top right and lower of the screen. Now if overscan occurs and it probably will, i have options where the user can hold R and press a direction on the joystick while being at the titlescreen and the screen (320x240 surface) will move in that direction (/will be blitted on the bigger surface but at another start point). This mechanism is basicly the same as the options u have in the settings menu with tv out.

If developers don't implemend this kind of mechanism u'll get the screen being cut off with standard sdl applications.

someone on irc explained this once to me i think it was woogal so that's why u'll find this functionality in my games :)

it works great with my pal tv, i can't test it on an ntsc tv doh if someone would like to try it out

joyrider said:
developpers need to implement some mechanism to deal with overscan. it doesn't just work out of the box well it does actually with sdl but then u have the part that gets cut off like ure all saying here.

What i do with my games is first detect if tv out mode is on or not and if it is i create a screen surface of 360x288 and. (the normal screen size is 320x240) so there's about 40 extra pixels to the left top right and lower of the screen. Now if overscan occurs and it probably will, i have options where the user can hold R and press a direction on the joystick while being at the titlescreen and the screen (320x240 surface) will move in that direction (/will be blitted on the bigger surface but at another start point). This mechanism is basicly the same as the options u have in the settings menu with tv out.

If developers don't implemend this kind of mechanism u'll get the screen being cut off with standard sdl applications.

someone on irc explained this once to me i think it was woogal so that's why u'll find this functionality in my games :)

it works great with my pal tv, i can't test it on an ntsc tv doh if someone would like to try it out
It's interesting having a developer's point of view, and explanation of an approach to fixing the issue. I notice that there's no clipping whatsoever with the built in Photo viewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back