Tv-out Questions

'herbicide' said:
Cable-shaped awesomeness, indeed.

...So, how do these of us who've suddenly (, belatedly) realised they want one - but didn't order one - get one?
:unsure:
Yeah, I could also need one :\

Last edited by a moderator:
'MWeston' said:
Definitely. I don't remember what the cable costs but it's probably like twenty something dollars. We don't want to skimp out and give you the bare minimum so we found a company that will do 10 feet long cables, gold plated male ends so no adapters needed and all the multimedia signals possible on the port so it's just one nice long run from the Pandora to your stereo. Badda boom, badda bing ;)
Didn't the cable cost £10 to the customer? Does that mean you lose out on every cable bought?

Some S-video/composite pictures from my PLAYSTATION using this scart adapter

CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3729/toolsp.jpg

to give a general idea what you get if you switch between inputs while using 1 video-connector (not 2 at a time). The TV was used to switch between inputs, this doens't mean this will happen if you change it using software on the pandora!
Can be different with the PANDORA. Further used LCDTV + worthless camera.

Composite connected:
CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7688/composite.jpg

Using s-video as input gives a black and white screen.

S-Video connected:
CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7319/svideo.jpg

Using composite as input gives distorted colours and image.

Comparison (zoom in from previous pictures):
CODE
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6672/comparef.jpg

Game used Final Fantasy 9 (looks probably much better using the pandora tv-out + a nice filter from the emu).

'MacX' said:
Some S-video/composite pictures from my PLAYSTATION using this scart adapter

CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3729/toolsp.jpg

to give a general idea what you get if you switch between inputs while using 1 video-connector (not 2 at a time). The TV was used to switch between inputs, this doens't mean this will happen if you change it using software on the pandora!
Can be different with the PANDORA. Further used LCDTV + worthless camera.

Composite connected:
CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7688/composite.jpg

Using s-video as input gives a black and white screen.

S-Video connected:
CODE
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7319/svideo.jpg

Using composite as input gives distorted colours and image.

Comparison (zoom in from previous pictures):
CODE
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6672/comparef.jpg

Game used Final Fantasy 9 (looks probably much better using the pandora tv-out + a nice filter from the emu).
nice comparison :) but what is that zoomed image from? comparing composite -> composite to svdieo -> svideo from the 2 previous shots, or svideo -> composite to svideo -> svideo from just the one pic before it?

sorry about being so picky

Edit: also just noticed that the headers referred to what cable is connected, not which setting is active. May want to label it
"composite cable"
-----------------------------------------------
"composite setting" | "svideo setting"

lippy said:
Didn't the cable cost £10 to the customer? Does that mean you lose out on every cable bought?
£10 ~ $20, back when prices were first decided. Now it's more like $15.

'htl2001' said:
nice comparison :) but what is that zoomed image from? comparing composite -> composite to svdieo -> svideo from the 2 previous shots, or svideo -> composite to svideo -> svideo from just the one pic before it?

sorry about being so picky
Edit: also just noticed that the headers referred to what cable is connected, not which setting is active. May want to label it
"composite cable"
-----------------------------------------------
"composite setting" | "svideo setting"

Don't think your picky, the zoomed image gives a comparison between 'composite cable using composite setting' and 's-video cable using s-video setting'. The way they supposed to be used.

Might change the pictures later on a different computer, the one I'm using now is having trouble with photoshop.

'herbicide' said:
...So, how do these of us who've suddenly (, belatedly) realised they want one - but didn't order one - get one?
The minimum order for us was 5000 cables since it is custom requiring molds and everything so please, if you want one, add it to your order at any time. :) There will be no shortage of them out there when they are finished.

It's going to look really cool (I think). It is an official accessory and so the plug end will be a little wider than the connector (as to not get in the way of the USB host or OTG ports when they have cables plugged in) with a long section of plastic behind it (like a USB cable has). This long section has the PCB inside that breaks out the signals so they can solder the wires of the long cable to it. Then the metal shield goes over top to pass CE/FCC certification. Then the plastic shell is molded over top with a nice Pandora logo and/or name imprinted in the plastic. I gave them the choice of making the cable a round tube with the six wires inside or flat with the wires side by side and I don't know what their decision will be on that yet. About three meters out is a buckle that spreads the wires back to separate color coded ends with male plugs on them.

Right now they are working on some prototypes they can send to me that need to be approved (make sure they didn't screw up my pinout!). I don't know when they will be done and Fatih is away on business travel so I don't even know where my CNC cases are, but I'll update the forum with pictures when stuff arrives.

'Gruso' said:
Sounds fantastic.

Wait. A black & white signal on the composite plug if s-video is selected in software? I'm sure that could be put to some creative use. Like... dual screen Pong.
Im not 100% sure, but i kinda think that connecting 2 screens to that one output will not work that nicely. The experiences that i have is that the signal will become very distorted, and long distances are impossible without a signal amplifier/booster/whatever. But if i'm wrong that would be cool ;)

Edit: MWeston/OP Team, cable sounds great!

Edit2: well i don't know if it sounds great yet ofc, but in my head it's perfect :p

MWeston said:
'herbicide' said:
The minimum order for us was 5000 cables since it is custom requiring molds and everything so please, if you want one, add it to your order at any time. :) There will be no shortage of them out there when they are finished.
Well, I think the problem is in payment. Without credit cards available, the money transfer would cost more than the cable (for some people). :/
Right now they are working on some prototypes they can send to me that need to be approved (make sure they didn't screw up my pinout!). I don't know when they will be done and Fatih is away on business travel so I don't even know where my CNC cases are, but I'll update the forum with pictures when stuff arrives.

So no joy on getting Fedex setup for you then?

MarkoeZ said:
'Gruso' said:
Sounds fantastic.

Wait. A black & white signal on the composite plug if s-video is selected in software? I'm sure that could be put to some creative use. Like... dual screen Pong.
Im not 100% sure, but i kinda think that connecting 2 screens to that one output will not work that nicely. The experiences that i have is that the signal will become very distorted, and long distances are impossible without a signal amplifier/booster/whatever. But if i'm wrong that would be cool ;) Man, people take me so seriously sometimes. :p

'Gruso' said:
Man, people take me so seriously sometimes. :p
You just *know* somebody is going to come along sooner or later complaining about how they read here that connecting to two TVs was possible but it didn't work for him and why is his Pandora broken and damn craigix for lying and etc etc etc...

Best to bury the idea at the source :)

I take it the nice cable discussed here is the tv-out cable I already ordered back in October? (Or was it September? Boy how time flies.) It's just t hat the specs have improved (like the Pandora specs!) since then, right? :D

That's right! :)

MWeston said:
2 - Line input L and R (unbalanced)

As for good microphones, do you mean using the line inputs connected to a preamp box with balanced XLR inputs and unbalanced phono plug outputs? The answer would be yes here. Since good microphones are usually balanced, you can't connect it to the Pandora directly. Actually, come to think of it, no microphone works at line levels and always requires a preamp so you need a self powered amp box in the middle regardless of the application. There is no plan to make a custom box like this since lots of audio companies out there make mic preamps and have built up a reputation you can trust for this kind of gear.
I'm going to ask the stupid questions: phono means RCA, right? So the audio-in lines are RCA? And, are you saying that normal "unpowered" microphones will not work without pre-amp?

Having the audio-in lines using RCA connectors makes for some interesting possibilities. :p

Within the next week or so I should have my ghetto Atari studio together: Atari ST, C-Lab Notator, MIDI Keyboard, Akai sampler. The only thing missing from this picture is where I'll be sending the audio. One option will be Pandora + Audacity + RCA line in. How awesome.

Gruso said:
Within the next week or so I should have my ghetto Atari studio together: Atari ST, C-Lab Notator, MIDI Keyboard, Akai sampler. The only thing missing from this picture is where I'll be sending the audio. One option will be Pandora + Audacity + RCA line in. How awesome.

Audacity doesn't seem to be available in the Angstrom repos yet, I've been trying to compile it but it needs wxWidgets which is rather big, so I tried to compile wxWidgets but I'm running into some issues (it's trying to include system libs, not the cross-compile ones). Anyway, I've had success in just using libs straight from the Debian ARM distro so far, so you may be able to just grab the Audacity package from Debian and install that (and any supporting libs).

Back