Release Tuxrace

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

dde96220423811dfa74ecdbbcfcf49294929_screenshot20100403120005.png

[PND]
Here is a compilation of the tuxrace project.
Original sources are here. (My change are minimals, you'll need this too)

When I ran it on my Pandora, it seemed like the backface culling for Tux was wrong - I was seeing his face through his body and other strange things...

Vorporeal said:
When I ran it on my Pandora, it seemed like the backface culling for Tux was wrong - I was seeing his face through his body and other strange things...

Yep, reminds me of the same issues we had with Quake 3 and the transparent walls.

It seems even solid objects are transparent here, looks like messed up Z axis?

Maybe Pickle has an idea :)

EDIT: Another thing: Jumping is still mapped to the letter E (standard mapping in original Linux Port).
Might be good moving that to one of the ABXY-Buttons :)

Last edited:
After some racetime this crashes on my pandora and I have to hard-reset. Also when I start a race tux will always go to the left without me doing anything as if the dpad is always pressed to the left.

It's great but would it be possible to have it (as an option, also why is there no options menu like in tuxracer...) a la tuxracer? I dont want a tux that does flips rolls and whatnot every second :p

Also, yeah I can see through a lot of things, but ED mentioned it already. Also it took me some time to realize the menu control method (tapping touchscreen) because there is no mouse pointer and the arrow keys dont work to highlight the items either. Also, dragging touchscreen doesnt highlight the items as you go. So its really unintuitive to use.

How well does this one run? I'd love to see video of this in action, if anyone's up for it. Getting all anxious about all the things I'll be able to do once my Pandora comes...

mcobit said:
After some racetime this crashes on my pandora and I have to hard-reset. Also when I start a race tux will always go to the left without me doing anything as if the dpad is always pressed to the left.
Mine does too, I blamed it on my one nubber, maybe im wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
When I start this, I just see the menu screen, but I can't seem to press anything, or even shut the program off. I had to take out the battery & put it back in to restart the system... (by the way, is there no other way to restart the system? No "hard off" switch?)

Esn said:
When I start this, I just see the menu screen, but I can't seem to press anything, or even shut the program off. I had to take out the battery & put it back in to restart the system... (by the way, is there no other way to restart the system? No "hard off" switch?)
Strange, it does run here (incorrectly, with graphical glitches, but run)...
To hard reset, press the pandora button and switch the power button.

sebt3 said:
Esn said:
Strange, it does run here (incorrectly, with graphical glitches, but run)...
To hard reset, press the pandora button and switch the power button.
Thank you!! That info should be added to the wiki "power modes" page (I'll go add it now).

The second time I tried it, I got the same thing, but this time the menu started flickering for the first 5-10 seconds (as if it were scrolling & reloading vertically very fast), until it once more became a static image.

Okay, tried it again... For some reason, I can only press "E" on the keyboard in the main menu, and that seems to start the tutorial. I don't see any other way to select a menu option.

This thing runs so slowly, even at 800Mhz...

Esn said:
Okay, tried it again... For some reason, I can only press "E" on the keyboard in the main menu, and that seems to start the tutorial. I don't see any other way to select a menu option.

This thing runs so slowly, even at 800Mhz...

AFAIK, you use the touchscreen in the menu.
And it runs slow? Runs fullspeed for me with default settings...?

Just has the OpenGL-Z-Bug...

Last edited:
Esn said:
Using the touchscreen dont work ? (it should, you can even use the touchscreen in game !)

EvilDragon said:
Even in HF5 ?
I though that would be fixed because HF5 use the same SGX driver than N900 (for all I know...)

sebt3 said:
Esn said:
Using the touchscreen dont work ? (it should, you can even use the touchscreen in game !)

Ok, so I tried it again. This time, the touch screen did work on startup. I started the first tutorial, used l-nub to steer - and framerate slowed to a crawl, 1-2 per second. Pressed esc to exit. Touchscreen now didn't seem to work, or if it did work, it was delayed by a few seconds - very hard to tell. Maybe the first few times I played it, my Pandora had already been on for a while and because of the pnd memory leak, already started out overtaxed when playing Tuxrace. In any case, I can't figure out the controls for this game...

EvilDragon said:
Even in HF5 ?
I though that would be fixed because HF5 use the same SGX driver than N900 (for all I know...)

Yep. Was the first ting I tried when I heard we have a new driver :(

Esn said:
Ok, so I tried it again. This time, the touch screen did work on startup. I started the first tutorial, used l-nub to steer - and framerate slowed to a crawl, 1-2 per second. Pressed esc to exit. Touchscreen now didn't seem to work, or if it did work, it was delayed by a few seconds - very hard to tell. Maybe the first few times I played it, my Pandora had already been on for a while and because of the pnd memory leak, already started out overtaxed when playing Tuxrace. In any case, I can't figure out the controls for this game...

Well, never tried the Tutorial, but I never used the nub to steer, I'm using the DPad ;)
Left nub (in mouse mode) doesn't seem to do anything for me.
The Tutorial really only seems to be useful for the phone, pressing the red area when it tells me to doesn't work.

Last edited:
Back