Truecrypt?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I figure the motivations for encryption on Pandora would be the same as on a Laptop or any other mobile device.

I'm curious if Truecrypt is available, and even if it is, would performance be any good?

Lobo

Why not? I use it and it works great.
Truecrypt doesn't store anything in your appsdata directory that could compromise your encrypted archive.

Aninhumer

Guy with scary face.
Website
Visit site
Lobo said:
Why not? I use it and it works great.
Truecrypt doesn't store anything in your appsdata directory that could compromise your encrypted archive.
I meant because it's more of an OS feature than an application.
If it's a PND you have to include it on every SD that has a truecrypt partition.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Aninhumer said:
If it's a PND you have to include it on every SD that has a truecrypt partition.
Sounds like a pretty good feature, to me. If you want it to be always available, put the PND on the NAND.

fearofshorts

Yeah, well... you can never have too many open-source alternatives.

Plus TrueCrypt's unnecessary GUI gives it a better air of security when I show off to my friends: if it needs to have that many options, it's GOT to be good XD

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
fearofshorts said:
Yeah, well... you can never have too many open-source alternatives.

Plus TrueCrypt's unnecessary GUI gives it a better air of security when I show off to my friends: if it needs to have that many options, it's GOT to be good XD
The fact is, I can never remember what dm-crypt is called or how to use it.
Maybe I should make a Qt GUI wrapper for it, since Truecrypt's GUI is a little awkward, and they're only "mostly open-source"

Lobo

Also remember that Truecrypt exists for other OS, most especially Windows, and I'm sure that many people (like me) dont use Linux on their desktop PCs.

I can readily access the same encrypted volume from the pandora as I can from my windows pc with Truecrypt.

Hakurou

Still Fresh
FreeOTFE is open source, cross platform and rather similar to Truecrypt with the added functionality of accessing dm-crypt encrypted drives. So this might be a viable alternative to Truecrypt if it is easily portable to the Pandora.

http://www.freeotfe.org/