chosen

Still Fresh
Website
owen-m.com
I'm interested in encryption on SD cards using methods such as:

• fuse encfs
  • dm-crypt
  • truecrypt

Are any of these included in the standard O/S install?

Has anyone tried these?

Easy to set up?

Did it work?

Did it affect performance significantly?

Are there some restrictions regarding card format and compatibility with apps?

On a side note, if you have used VPN on your Pandora, how did that affect performance?

it seems that it's possible, but not currently in it:

http://pandorawiki.org/Current_open_tasks_official#Kernel

Offer more kernel modules:

* Some commonly required kernel modules are not available at the moment. Those could/should be added once tested that they work as expected. Here some samples:

o device-mapper (required for encryption via dm-crypt to work)

Unrelieable information on the web also seem to say that at least older versions of truecrypt (no infor for the newer ones) seem to run when you compile them yourself, but a pre-made arm package does not seem to be aviable (of course, could be in the angstrom-repos, but I can't look that up)

I think that this should be bumped up the priority a bit for the next kernel compile.

It is a mobile device. Odds of it falling into the wrong hands or being fiddled with by others is relatively high.

I'm not going to be hauling around state secrets on the thing, but would still rather keep prying eyes out of my family vacation photos, web history, save games, music collection, etc...

So - when will we be getting this?

I'm interested in encryption on SD cards using methods such as:

• fuse encfs

On a side note, if you have used VPN on your Pandora, how did that affect performance?
I managed to get encfs cross compiled (their configure setup doesn't support cross compilation,

but I used a little judicious violence on both the configure script and the resulting Makefile's, and

got it all built). I didn't want to hammer my flash card, but I didn't notice much of a performance hit

doing miscellaneous file copies.

I also got "vtund" ported. Networking performance seems comparable to an ssh tunnel. I find it

quite usable for VPN'ing back to my home network.

I can make the binaries and libraries available for these if you want to use them in a CLI mode.

(And I can dump you the source tree, too, if you prefer.)

Imho, the better solution would be to make a .pnd that installs your programs, and push it to the repo (after testing ;^) ).

in the meantime there is a Truecrypt PND available in the repo, that works nicely and has excellent performance.

Back