Trouble Savine In Narcissu....

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
I've been playing narcissu through onscripter with the patch that was provided in a thread on this board to make the text legible. However, I just booted it up, loaded my last save, and got 2 chapters further. I then tried to save, and when i did, it sent me back to the main firmware menu (and no, i didn't press start, i've tested it again without pressing start and it did the same thing). I went and checked and it hadn't saved! Why aren't the saves working anymore? Could it be low batteries? (i just switched to newly charged 2500 batteries about 1.5 hours ago.....)

thanks,
-ben

EDIT: Ok, i switched the batteries, it still does the same thing. I tried using alternate buttons and it still does the same thing. Is it possible that its doing this because I installed the new SDL library for NK's new emulators and that this is made for the originals?

I've been playing narcissu through onscripter with the patch that was provided in a thread on this board to make the text legible. However, I just booted it up, loaded my last save, and got 2 chapters further. I then tried to save, and when i did, it sent me back to the main firmware menu (and no, i didn't press start, i've tested it again without pressing start and it did the same thing). I went and checked and it hadn't saved! Why aren't  the saves working anymore? Could it be low batteries? (i just switched to newly charged 2500 batteries about 1.5 hours ago.....)

thanks,
-ben

EDIT: Ok, i switched the batteries, it still does the same thing. I tried using alternate buttons and it still does the same thing. Is it possible that its doing this because I installed the new SDL library for NK's new emulators and that this is made for the originals?

Could be a permissions error. Although with Windows filesystems......

It could be screwy SD write support as well. My guess is that the vfat driver doesn't fully support writing, or it is unstable.

Edit: Its good to know onscripter is working correctly. Could you kindly point to the thread about the text size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Author of Game or Thread Wrote:
I've briefly tested it and it seems to be fairly bug free (although the word wrapping could be better) but it may possible crash at a certain point in the game. I fixed a bug where you couldn't save though.

Email him saying there is a bug :p

EDIT: i just read his thread, he said theres a firmware issue or something. At the bottom of that page.

There may or may not be a firmware issue with the latest version but if you don't do a complete flash the game definately won't work. It seems to use some of the libraries that mplayer uses that get messed up in incomplete updates. Saving was definately working when I tested though.

This means I can't do any more fiddling at the moment till I fix my unit too X_x

A side note : if I there are vital changes needed and a new patch is needed then your savegames will probably be useless, when I tested a save I made in the unmodified version with the modified one it still looked like the unmodified version. I think this it because it possibly saves the contents of the RAM rather than the location in the game but the game doesn't like the differences.

I only did the first firmware patch, i haven' t installed the first img update or the new update. However, i have installed the new SDL library, thats why I think it could have something to do with that.

I'm pretty sure when you do updates, you want to do them all.
SDL and Kernel.

*gif*

Unrelated, but I've been meaning to comment.
With a huge gif file like that you're going to run out of bandwidth before the week is over ;- P

Why not just host your own images? No bandwidth limit whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
instead of making a new thread i thought id drag this one back.
i have downloaded narcissu and have got it in a folder called 'ebooks' but the ebook reader only finds the readme.txt's
i have the onscripter in the sd root but dont know how to get it running.
i can select to run the onscripter but i just get a black screen.

any ideas?

download narcissu from the file archive (archive.gp2x.de, sounds like you already did this) and then put the files into a folder called narcissu anywhere on your SD (it doesn't have to be called narcissu, this is just so that you know what it is). Then load onscripter.gpe from the game menu. You can rename onscripter.gpe to narcissu.gpe so that you know what it is, if you want (that's what I did).

Back