How do I run Visual Novels using Onscripter in the Narcissu Pnd?

Azuma

I've seen Evil Dragon and or someone else mention that Narcissu has Onscripter in its pnd and that you could run other visual novels using it. So, how would I go about doing this? Do I have to somehow get Onscripter out of the pnd? Can I use it without taking it out of the pnd? I'm totally clueless on this.

i dont know the exact structure. but you can mount the pnd using sudo mount -o loop pndname.pnd folderwhereyouwanttomount

then have a look inside. once you know how it is, then you can override the launch script by copying it in appdata and editing it. everything in the appdata/narcissu (or whatever workdir it use), will be seen as local when you run the pnd, so if you put your other novel in it, and edit the launch script so it use it, then it should in theory work.

If some nice person were to package Onscripter into a PND, I and many others would be very much appreciative.

Nipaa...

Thanks, after a bit of screwing around with the instructions you gave me I did manage to get another Visual Novel working. If anyone would like detailed, step-by-step instructions just ask. Only problem I have now is that I'm having trouble finding any good english VNs that work with onscripter. All those lists of supported games usually lead to dead links or google searches that yield almost nothing. If anyone knows of any please let me know!

I'd love some step-by-step instructions. I've been planning on buying Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and I'd like to play them on the Pandora.

Also, supposedly most of the games that use the NScripter engine should work with OnScripter, so I think this is a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:NScripter_games

Ok, first off let me say I am not at all terminal savvy. If there's a better way to do this that some of you know about please let me know so I can revise the instructions. So like Jey said, the general goal is to mount the .pnd of narcissu so you can view its contents. after that copy its contents into narcissu's appdata folder. Then copy files of another Nscripter compatible game into the narcissu appdata folder overwriting a few files in the process. The .pnd will see the files in the appdata folder as local and will launch the new nscripter game you put in the folder. To do this:

1. Make a folder somewhere on your SD card, preferably near the root. for this tutorial we'll say we named it NAR and put it on the root of the SD card.

2. Use thunar to navigate to wherever your Narcissu pnd is, once you're there, right click and then click "open terminal here".

3. Now, type "sudo mount -o loop narcissu.pnd /media/(SDcardname)/NAR(or whatever you named the empty folder)/" without quotations. So for me it looked like sudo mount -o loop narcissu.pnd /media/NONAME/NAR/ (If you get an error about "no free loop devices" just restart and it should fix it.)

4. If everything went correctly you should be able to navigate to /media/(SDcardname)/NAR/ and see a bunch of Narcissu's files. Copy all of the files to /media/(SDcardname)/Pandora/Appdata/narcissu.evildragon/ (if your directories' names differ, change accordingly).

5. So now you should have a bunch of files in Narcissu's appdata folder. What you want to do now is copy files from a different visual novel into this directory. Just to show an example, what I did was get my .img of the VN, mounted it, explored the files of the .img and then copied all of the files on the root of the image to Narcissu's appdata folder. Make sure you look for some files with the same names as some of the files in Narcissu's appdata folder to confirm you're copying the correct ones, nscript.dat is one to look for. When you copy the files of your VN a few of Narcissu's files should be overwrited.

6. after that, simply run Narcissu like you normally would and it should boot up the new visual novel. It is quite a workaround and isn't very convenient if you want to have a bunch of different VNs but it does work. The only problem I've seen is that, like many other pandora games, the screen doesn't display correctly and is a bit too large vertically. you can move the window around by holding shift and dragging with the mouse to position it how you want. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask.

Edit: also, thanks for the link. People seem to be very fond of tsukhime, so I'll try that one out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back