Touch Screen For Pixel Art

rwip

Still Fresh
I'm mainly wondering if the touch screen would be capable of that precision. I instantly assume it is but doesn't harm asking. I myself am considering homebrew dev for the pandora but my programmer art is not pretty. If this is possible it would be handy and I'd be encouraged to spend time creating my own in some spare time like while travelling on the train.

And that leads me to my next question, is there any pixel art specific paint programs that are open source? Therefore portable to the pandora. I mean with handy features like layers. I can't help thinking with an intuitive interface and the touch screen that pixel art on the pandora would be very handy for homebrew. (This is assuming it wont be bundled with a paint program that isn't basic like ms paint)

rwip said:
I'm mainly wondering if the touch screen would be capable of that precision. I instantly assume it is but doesn't harm asking. I myself am considering homebrew dev for the pandora but my programmer art is not pretty. If this is possible it would be handy and I'd be encouraged to spend time creating my own in some spare time like while travelling on the train.

And that leads me to my next question, is there any pixel art specific paint programs that are open source? Therefore portable to the pandora. I mean with handy features like layers. I can't help thinking with an intuitive interface and the touch screen that pixel art on the pandora would be very handy for homebrew. (This is assuming it wont be bundled with a paint program that isn't basic like ms paint)
I'm not sure but GIMP, Inkscape or Xara Xtreme could maybe be ported at some point?

I think there is a version of GIMP for ARM. Debian Etch repositories list something along those lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
GIMP with reasonable frame rates would be pleasing to see. I still find it hard to wrap my head around quite how powerful the Pandora will be. Firefox 3 is impressive so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it is quite capable.

rwip said:
GIMP with reasonable frame rates would be pleasing to see. I still find it hard to wrap my head around quite how powerful the Pandora will be. Firefox 3 is impressive so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it is quite capable.
GIMP at reasonable speed seems unlikely, but who knows. Maybe someone could strip it down for the Pandora (although I doubt it will happen; I have seen it on other handhelds and it's not pretty).

Gimp is a far cry from a pixel art program, in fact it's rather hard to do pixel art with gimp if you ask me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art

The good news is that is UAE is fully ported you can use Dpaint!!

I cant think of a better pixel art proggy!

Things like Pixel Image editor, Gimp, and Photoshop are really photo editors and do not have a good workflow for pixel artists.

I understand what you are saying about gimp. At the time of replying even entertaining the thought of gimp on pandora was impressive since it is a large app.

As for dpaint do you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluxe_Paint ?

Is it just me who thinks it would be good to have a pixel art oriented paint program using the touch screen? Is it worth a port/coding to get it just right with the ui and functionality or is this something quite bespoke to my strange wants that no one else would really use? For instance I can imagine holding one of the many buttons with one hand and stroking the stylus up to zoom in and down to zoom out.

rwip said:
(This is assuming it wont be bundled with a paint program that isn't basic like ms paint)
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying there. But if you are saying that MSPaint is to basic for your needs, then you really don't understand MSPaint. I've always used it for Pixel art. It has a lot more features than the average user knows about.

-God Ginrai

I think MSPaint is great for what it is. However I mean more advanced use like layers or the touch screen specific gestures that are possible to speed up productivity.

A paint program akin to MSPaint available at launch would be great for pixeling alone. I was looking more into getting specific for the handhelds advantages and specific features to increase productivity when making pixel art on the pandora.

IceBerg303 said:
The good news is that is UAE is fully ported you can use Dpaint!!
OMG!!! I totally forgot good old Dpaint. I think I still have my original floppies and manual hiding somewhere around here. :p Shame my actual Amiga is long gone. :(

That would be so freaking cool to use on Pandora with the touch screen.

Back