Pixel Art?

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
What would you guys recommend for pixel art/sprites? I can't find anything that looks like it'd be good for that. I would like to just use Wine to emulate either the early MS Paint or Graphics Gale, but I can't find Wine either.

Mt paint is good and its free. Pro-motion is an upgraded version of d-paint with animation fucntions, its very good. I'm doing a commercial game atm and the artists are using both mt paint and pro-motion to do the pixel art.

GIMP works, but is probably rather overkill.

Try zooming 1600% and using the pencil tool with a 1x1 brush.

As a matter of interst; 'midi' what are you creating the graphics for? Hobby, or a game project?

As a matter of interst; 'midi' what are you creating the graphics for? Hobby, or a game project?
Game project.

Unfortunately you can't type anything into text boxes in this port, which makes saving images very frustrating.

Otherwise Grafx2 is great for pixel art on the pandora
Ah, didn't know that. I'll see what I can do.

D.
I downloaded the source, so I'll take a look at it myself, too.

Mt paint is good and its free. Pro-motion is an upgraded version of d-paint with animation fucntions, its very good. I'm doing a commercial game atm and the artists are using both mt paint and pro-motion to do the pixel art.
I don't even see an eyedropper tool on MtPaint. It's no good if I can't even pull colors from an image.

If that source is about the latest grafx available, you also get animation and layers support, which makes this package the most complete all around solution.

The ability to use a stylus would render a pandora kind of a portable cintyq, it seems to me an excellent solution.

The interface might be rough if you are not amiga/dpaint familiar, but I use this on my caanoo and works wonders.

Unfortunantly, the android version for the likes of a note II is quite inferior :(

GIMP is fine for pixel art. Overkill, but who cares. It also tends to produce nice small PNG files, usually pngcrush or similar tools cannot do (much) better.

I don't even see an eyedropper tool on MtPaint. It's no good if I can't even pull colors from an image.
Pull colors from an image? As in selecting a color on the screen to use? You can access that tool by clicking the current color thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull colors from an image? As in selecting a color on the screen to use? You can access that tool by clicking the current color thing.
Um, no, I mean like the eyedropper in MS Paint. When I click the current color, it just gives me a color editor. I need to be able to grab a color right off the image. I tried using the palette generator, but that doesn't help when I still need to pick a color from 256 colors when all I really need to do is just grab a shade of red off my character's sleeve.

But, I downloaded Aseprite, and if that does what I need, then I'll be recompiling it for Pandora, assuming it allows me to open non-GBA images and create new files and whatnot. I haven't tried it yet, so I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Back