Total Novice, Somebody Please Help...!

Gooner

Still Fresh
Hi peeps,

I recently purchased the GP2x Wiz. I am a bit of a computer novice, as much as I like to think that I am not! and am having a lot of problems loading games & various emulators. I have downloaded the various different emulators from them offical Wiz site. I have downloaded the games for the emulators from other various different sites. I have unziped them all, loaded them on to my Wiz. From all the different reviews I have read & studied I for some reason cant seem to get the emulators to work, my Wiz just freezes up and i have to switch it off and on agaion. I have been trying all nght long and am now seriously lost ! Is there a step by step guide that I could follow to see where I am going so wrong? or if somebody could take pity on me and lend a helping hand I would be forever greatful ! I luv the Wiz to bits, after reading & studying as many different reviews as possible I was aware that it will be a serious chalenge for me but I am determined to succed with it (with some help ofcourse)!

Thanks

Lost.com

It's impossible to give specific advice about every emulator in one post, but the first thing you should do is read any accompanying .TXT files.

Next check that you are putting the emulators and ROMs in the right places. Make sure that the emulators themselves are placed in the "game" folder on your SD card. Most emus will have a folder within them to place the ROMs - zipped or unzipped (some like MAME don't need the ROMs unzipping). This will usually do the trick. Don't just place all the ROMs onto the SD card and expect the emu to find them.

Be aware though that MAME requires that the ROMs are compatible with the version of MAME you are running. To do this requires a bit of work using something like - CLRMAME - http://easyemu.mamew...mame-guide.html

It might help if you concentrate on one emu (eg Megadrive) at a time until you get that working.

iprice said:
It's impossible to give specific advice about every emulator in one post, but the first thing you should do is read any accompanying .TXT files.

Next check that you are putting the emulators and ROMs in the right places. Make sure that the emulators themselves are placed in the "game" folder on your SD card. Most emus will have a folder within them to place the ROMs - zipped or unzipped (some like MAME don't need the ROMs unzipping). This will usually do the trick. Don't just place all the ROMs onto the SD card and expect the emu to find them.

Be aware though that MAME requires that the ROMs are compatible with the version of MAME you are running. To do this requires a bit of work using something like - CLRMAME - http://easyemu.mamew...mame-guide.html

It might help if you concentrate on one emu (eg Megadrive) at a time until you get that working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Iprice,

Thank you so much for your speedy reply...! I am starting to see why I went so woring now...! I have been loading the emulators one a time so that I dont end up confusing myself which is what genreally happens...! One more question if its ok, as silly as it may sound, do I have to load the emulators & games onto an SD card ? I am purchasing one today (as I only got my Wiz yesterday) and as I was so excited about using I tried to load the emulator & one game for it onto the Wiz memory could thsi be another factor as to why I am going so wrong & why the emulators just makes the Wiz freeze up...?!

I would always recommend using an SD card, as I've read about others corrupting their NAND on the GP2X. The emulators may even be programmed to specifically use the SD card (dircetory pathways) so that too may explain why you couldn't get them working.

Get yourself an SD card - you will need one anyway, as there are more ROMs, emus and homebrew available than will fit on the NAND anyway. If you still have problems once you've got a card, just ask. :)

iprice said:
Get yourself an SD card - you will need one anyway, as there are more ROMs, emus and homebrew available than will fit on the NAND anyway. If you still have problems once you've got a card, just ask. :)

I was wondering if you know how to get PC-Engine (same thing as Turbo Grafx 16, right?), NES, and DOS-Box to run. Do you need a special bios for them?

(Dogeymon helped me with the SEGA ones on this link)

You don't need a BIOS ROM for GPFCE (NES) or Temper (PC Engine/Turbo-GFX). I've not yet tried running DOS Box, but doubt a BIOS ROM is required.

To get GPFCE and Temper running was simply a matter of placing the emulators onto the SD card and adding a file within their directory with your game ROMs inside. GPFCE comes with an .ini file, so can be run from the SD menu. Temper doesn't have an .ini (easy to make though) so needs to be run from the Launcher.

iprice said:
I would always recommend using an SD card, as I've read about others corrupting their NAND on the GP2X. The emulators may even be programmed to specifically use the SD card (dircetory pathways) so that too may explain why you couldn't get them working.

Hey aesir911,

Thanks for your help and also iprice...!

I managed to get an SD card, down loaded my emulators (one at a time as suggested) the only one I could get to work was the NES emu. I am idealy looking for Gameboy advanced Emulator, I have downloaded them form the WIz recomended site and none have worked so am assuming I have done something wrong again...! Are there any places that can be recommended to me for emu downloads for the GP2x Wiz? or where I should be looking? I understand if the links cant be added here so just incase my email is ash.gooner@googlemail.com please feel free to email me there or here. I appricate all help with this!

Lost.Com said:
iprice said:

Hey aesir911,

Thanks for your help and also iprice...!

I managed to get an SD card, down loaded my emulators (one at a time as suggested) the only one I could get to work was the NES emu. I am idealy looking for Gameboy advanced Emulator, I have downloaded them form the WIz recomended site and none have worked so am assuming I have done something wrong again...! Are there any places that can be recommended to me for emu downloads for the GP2x Wiz? or where I should be looking? I understand if the links cant be added here so just incase my email is ash.gooner@googlemail.com please feel free to email me there or here. I appricate all help with this!

Could you inform me on how you got NES to work? I have tried many times at no avail.

chickendung said:
If anyone needs help with setting up a certain emulator, then send a PM to me. I can help with MAME, NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, SNES, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color/Black and White, Neo Geo, NeoCD, and Sega Master System to name a few.
I thought the Neo Geo CD emulator also played Neo Geo games.

chickendung said:
If anyone needs help with setting up a certain emulator, then send a PM to me. I can help with MAME, NES, Genesis/Mega Drive, SNES, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color/Black and White, Neo Geo, NeoCD, and Sega Master System to name a few.

Hi Chickendung,

Thanks for your post, yeaham in defo need of a bit of help if you dont mind...! I got a friend of mine to help set up the Nes Emu and it worked fine but cant get anything else going, Thge emulators I am after all gameboy emulaotrs Idealy GBA,Mame & also Genesis/MegadriveNeoGeo

I am not sure how I PM you so my email is ash.gooner@googlemail.com

Thanks!

Lost.Com said:
chickendung said:

Hi Chickendung,

Thanks for your post, yeaham in defo need of a bit of help if you dont mind...! I got a friend of mine to help set up the Nes Emu and it worked fine but cant get anything else going, Thge emulators I am after all gameboy emulaotrs Idealy GBA,Mame & also Genesis/MegadriveNeoGeo

I am not sure how I PM you so my email is ash.gooner@googlemail.com

Thanks!

to send him a personal message, just click on his profile name (chickendung), then under his blank profile picture (two down) is a link to send a message to him. click on that then ask away!

aesir911 said:
Could you inform me on how you got NES to work? I have tried many times at no avail.

nevermind, i got the nes one to work.

Lost.Com said:
I am idealy looking for Gameboy advanced Emulator
Use gpSP it is a fantastic emulator.
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,101

Lost.Com said:
Are there any places that can be recommended to me for emu downloads for the GP2x Wiz? or where I should be looking?
Yes. Here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet. This site generally hosts all the apps you will ever need for your Wiz including all the emulators. A common misconception amongst new users is that they assume their GP2X Wiz is compatible with older GP2X models which it is not. So I just wanted to make that clear in case you or any one else reading this thread accidentally downloaded the older GP2X emus.

MiOdd said:
Lost.Com said:
I am idealy looking for Gameboy advanced Emulator
Use gpSP it is a fantastic emulator.
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,101

Lost.Com said:
Are there any places that can be recommended to me for emu downloads for the GP2x Wiz? or where I should be looking?
Yes. Here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet. This site generally hosts all the apps you will ever need for your Wiz including all the emulators. A common misconception amongst new users is that they assume their GP2X Wiz is compatible with older GP2X models which it is not. So I just wanted to make that clear in case you or any one else reading this thread accidentally downloaded the older GP2X emus.

What freeware wiz games do you suggest? Or none at all...

Back