Total Newb Questions

buzzard

Still Fresh
I'm eagerly awaiting the pandora, but have to say, aside from emulation I'm not sure of its potential. I'm sure it can replace my calendars for work, and that would be huge. Plus a little web surfing and email checking. I really like the clamshell, and I still play my GB Advance SP a lot because I really like the design. I have a few questions, which may sound pretty stupid, but I'll ask them nonetheless.

I only have access to an Intel Mac, will this effect initial setup of the pandora?

Could I possibly use it to replace my iPod? I hate my iPod so much. Would I need to store songs on SD cards?

What is the learning curve on a linux device? I've never used one.

Thanks

buzzard said:
I'm eagerly awaiting the pandora, but have to say, aside from emulation I'm not sure of its potential. I'm sure it can replace my calendars for work, and that would be huge. Plus a little web surfing and email checking. I really like the clamshell, and I still play my GB Advance SP a lot because I really like the design. I have a few questions, which may sound pretty stupid, but I'll ask them nonetheless.

I only have access to an Intel Mac, will this effect initial setup of the pandora?

Could I possibly use it to replace my iPod? I hate my iPod so much. Would I need to store songs on SD cards?

What is the learning curve on a linux device? I've never used one.

Thanks
No - As long as you can format an SD card and drag and drop files, you're golden.

Maybe - If you're using one of those little ones sure. SD cards are cheap, and you could easily fit a good amount of music on moderate size cards. But if you're looking to lug around 30+ Gigs of songs, you might want to keep a separate mp3 player like the Ipod around. You could use an external 2.5 inch pocket usb drive with the pandora to store songs on, but it will seriously cut into battery life.

Pretty low. Because of the drag and drop nature. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised how easy using devices built around linux can be to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for the response. Is there a master list of what the Pandora may be capable of? Not talking about tech specs. But like calendars, browsers, emulators, email, chat, etc... Is it basically whatever the developers want to do?

Well as long as you've used the "search" feature, there's no need to worry.
I personally can't be bothered with it B)

mindlord hit the nail on the head. Except you theoretically *should* be able to replace your iPod, you'll just need to pay out the ass for SD storage. I think 32gb is over 100 usd.
-- and I would imagine the average Pandora user won't need to learn any Linux at all.

...basically whatever the developers want to do?

Basically yes; Or whatever we constantly badger them into doing :D

As has been said, it's pretty much whatever the developers want or whatever we badger them into doing. There have been a couple long threads about suggestions for non-gaming-related software to port to the Pandora. Applications of some sort for most basic computer tasks (browsing, email, chat, word processing, etc.) will probably be ported.

As for replacing an ipod, all the information we've recieved so far on the sound capabilities of the Pandora has been very positive. Craig provided an estimate a while back that just listening to mp3s would give ~100 hours of battery life. I am planning on replacing my iaudio X5L with the Pandora once it's out (anyone here interested in buying it?). It's currently just under $50 for a class 6 16GB card and about $130 for a class 4 32GB card, and those prices are only going to drop more. I'm hoping 32GB class 6 SDHC cards exist by the time the Pandora is out, and the price is less than or equal to 2 16GB cards.

As for the learning curve of linux-related stuff, it depends on what you want to do with it. For an average end user, who just wants to use emulators, surf the web, chat, play homebrew, watch videos, listen to music, etc. knowledge of linux should not be necessary. The only reason linux knowledge would be necessary is if you want to crazy stuff like run a ftp server from your Pandora for example (which I'm planning on doing).

Im guessing no subscription support, right?
thats the only thing keeping me from dumping my sansa.

Since you mentioned a sansa, I'm assuming subscription support refers to Rhapsody. A quick google search revealed that the Rhapsody firefox plugin is available for linux, but only for x86. x86_64 can use nspluginwrapper, but that's no help for the Pandora. However, the Rhapsody site lists the n810 among the portable players it works on, which IIRC is armel, like the Pandora. So while I've never used Rhapsody or any other music subscription service, my guess is if you try to hack the n810 version onto the Pandora, it might work, but it certainly won't be pretty.

Back