Tone dialer 1.1 for GP32

History lesson 101 for all the "kids". (Condensed for length purposes).

Phone systems (especially older phone systems) work on tones. Operators had "more tones" than we (normal phone users) had, allowing them to do, well, more stuff. The first tone that was discovered was 2600hz, which allowed normal users to take over phone systems and act like an operator (What, you thought 2600 magazine was named after the Atari?). The first 2600hz box discovered was mounted in a blue box -- thus, blue boxing, and phreaking (phone + hacking = phreaking) was born.

Skip forward in time. Dozens of boxes were invented, and following the tradition of the blue box, were mounted in different colored boxes. Beige boxes were used for conference calling. Black boxes were very interesting -- they worked off the theory that a ringing phone reported a different voltage than an answered phone. So, by using a black box, you could bump up the voltage on your phone line, making the phone company you never answered your phone. If it was just ringing, you never got charged for the call!

Anyway, a "red box" was a device that played back tones into payphones that made the phone think you had deposited coins into them. On some payphones you can hear the tones -- it's one for a nickel, two for a dime, and five for a quarter. Hold a payphone up to your ear and drop a quarter in and you might hear the five quick beeps (some phones mute the receiver now). A red box can be any device that plays back those tones into the phone, making the phone think you have dropped the money into it. Quarter Tone

My first red box was a microphone/speaker taken out of one of those Hallmark greeting cards where you can record a message for someone. The mic was replaced with a small headphone jack, and by flipping the switch in one direction you could record -- then I just ran a line from my sound card to the box, recorded the wav file, and then flipped it from record to play mode. Worked great until the batteries died and then I lost it. :/

Anyway, phone systems are much more advanced than they once were. Specifically, digital phone systems have patched many of the holes once open to phreakers. While 5ESS systems were wife open, most places now run 7ESS or newer systems.

If you happen to live in an area with older phone lines (ie: Oklahoma), red boxing may still work for you. In a time where most cell phones have free long distance, it's not as fun or necessary as it once was. Still, it's fun to experiment with and learn about.

http://www.ppchq.org/software - tones
http://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/payphon...ian-redbox.html - more red box information, and how to make the tones.

PS: VirtuaLeech, are you the same person from #oldwarez?

Heyyyyyyy!!!!! My phones around here use that same 'beep beep beep beeeeeeeep' for a quarter tone.

So if you type in the phone number on the tone dialer and played it into the speaker on the payphone, it would automatically dial or would you need to make that noise for the quarters? Also, is there a way that you could change the background image (i'm not gay, I just don't want my parents seeing it)?

is there a way that you could change the background image
Just put a 320x240 16bit BMP called tonedial.bmp in the \gpetc directory on your GP32. This bitmap will then be used as background.

As for the Red/Blue/Beige boxing. It's a little out of scope for this program. Tonedial was just meant as a dialer and a quick diversion. I am back on my main project now.

I release the source of tonedialer somewhere this weekend, after I cleaned up the source a little. I someone wants to adapt it, be my guest.

In the meantime if you want an easy redbox just look up some samples on the net (see Flacks link) or make you own using a tone generator, convert them to MP3 and play them using the GP32 MP3 player. I am pretty sure this will work.

Have fun.

All I know is that the picture I originally downloaded is called girl51.jpg, which I now put up here. As for her name, I've got to many pictures of asian bikini girls to know them all by name :D

How exactly do i use this to make fee calls? i know about al the boxes and it is a pain to try to build them so i hope some one will explain how to use this to make free calls on a pay phone.

if it wasnt made to make free cals than why dose it say "free call" at the top of the screan when u use it?

If you can't make free class, why were you talking on the first page about tips for making free calls, and saying u would remove free calling in the future?

Klown posted on Aug 21 2003 said:
VirutaLeech you should add the tone which allows you to redbox.
so if u dissagree so much with my simple question.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil_Cartman posted on Aug 21 2003 said:
Today i went to a phone box. I used your program, and it worked!

now i can call free!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
if you cant make free cals than how come he can? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
probably because it was a payphone that locks the keypad unless you pay. So he then used the tones to dial without keypad. You cant just use this program on any payphone to get free calls.

I used a tone generator and make the UK redbox tone. Being the nub programmer i am how hard would it be to impliment this .wav into the program once the source is released?

I think source will be released tomorrow.

Easiest would be to replace one of the tones with your ownn wave file.
First convert the wave file to a format the GP32 understands with GP32Converter by Edorul which can be found at http://www.ifrance.com/edorul/gp32/. Then replace one of the tones with your own sample.

You can also convert your wav file to MP3 and play it to the phone using the GP32 MP3 player.

Back