Gp2x-7800: Atari 7800 Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.2

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2x7800-snap-v101.jpg

ProSystem is the best emulator of Atari 7800 game console, running on Windows system.
It has been written by Greg Stanton, see http://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton for details.

Here is a port on GP2X of the version 1.1 that i had previously ported to PSP.

What's new in this version :

- Merge diff from ProSystem v1.2
- Improve speed[cut]
- Improve emulation accuracy
- Add MMU hack stuff
- Add option to display frame rate
- New speed limiter function
- Improve volume handler
- Linked with my patched version of SDL
- New background image
- Bug fix in file requester

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

You can download it here :
gp2x-7800 v1.0.2

Enjoy,

Zx[/cut]

Excellent it does seem faster. I've given it a quick go, but I've found that in Pole Position II that the text at the top is distorted. Almost like there's a mixture of resolutions. The top should be high-res and the bottom low-res or something like that. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't like this in the previous version.

EDIT: Yes definitely happening in other mixed resolution games like Impossible Mission in the elevator sections.

I tried this a bit. It seems a little faster. I am still getting very stuttery sound though.

Thanks for the update.

slaanesh said:
Excellent it does seem faster. I've given it a quick go, but I've found that in Pole Position II that the text at the top is distorted. Almost like there's a mixture of resolutions. The top should be high-res and the bottom low-res or something like that. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't like this in the previous version.

EDIT: Yes definitely happening in other mixed resolution games like Impossible Mission in the elevator sections.
Yes you're right, i've that bug in the psp version 1.0.6 as well ... I will fix it asap. :(

EDIT: I've uploaded a new version on my blog ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's it! Pole Position seems good now.

Oh and the new background is nice. I like it!

Adding the mmuhack.o seems to make it go faster, though I haven't done any specfic testing.

Another thing that could help speed up the emu would be the optimized ram timings. Do you have any plans to include support for this?

@ ZX-81: One more question. The emulators you have ported across are a fairly esoteric mix; may I ask why you have chosen these? I'm guessing that you have some sort of affection for these particular machines?

ie. The 7800 emu is the one I have most interest in as I own an 7800 console.

slaanesh said:
Yep, that's it! Pole Position seems good now.

Oh and the new background is nice. I like it!

Adding the mmuhack.o seems to make it go faster, though I haven't done any specfic testing.
Yes it's a little bit faster ...

slaanesh said:
Another thing that could help speed up the emu would be the optimized ram timings. Do you have any plans to include support for this?
I haven't tried this hack, do you have any pointer/URL on this ?

slaanesh said:
@ ZX-81: One more question. The emulators you have ported across are a fairly esoteric mix; may I ask why you have chosen these? I'm guessing that you have some sort of affection for these particular machines?
I like old school games, that might explain :).

For the Optimized Ram Timings, you could have a look at the source code for gpSP.

I've been trying to compile however my devkit can't find the libSDL_fast.a :-/

Removing it from the Makefile of course gives unresolved references. Where can I get this lib?

slaanesh said:
For the Optimized Ram Timings, you could have a look at the source code for gpSP.

I've been trying to compile however my devkit can't find the libSDL_fast.a :-/

Removing it from the Makefile of course gives unresolved references. Where can I get this lib?
Just link with the classical SDL lib (remove the '_fast' in the makefile). This is a patched version of SDL, where i've removed the Wait Vblank call etc ...

zx-81: does your patched SDL provide an all-around speed advantage to general use as compared to the regular SDL? Any boost of speed would be of great use to everyone using SDL :)

Alex. said:
zx-81: does your patched SDL provide an all-around speed advantage to general use as compared to the regular SDL? Any boost of speed would be of great use to everyone using SDL :)
I win up to 5 fps. In function GP2X_FlipHWSurface, i've just commented out the first few lines concerning the Blitter and wait Vblank stuff. It might result in graphical artefacts, so it can't be part of an official SDL version ;).

I thought it only waited for vsync if you have SDL_DOUBLEBUF set in SDL_SetVideoMode.

getting faster :D
any idea why I get a blank screen on planet smashers ?
also, any plans for usb joystick support for the BOB?

1200XL said:
getting faster :D
any idea why I get a blank screen on planet smashers ?
I really don't know, i've to test it on original emu and see what happens.

1200XL said:
also, any plans for usb joystick support for the BOB?
I've no usb joystick to test with, and i'm a beginner on this kind of stuff :( ..

Back