Tired Of 3d Polygonal Games...

I played Darwinia, it looked awesome until my units moved themselves down into a slope that they couldn't get out of.

I just finished the demo. Game is a very good one however, the patch search function of units is lacking. Too much "micromanagement" is needed. All other aspects of Darwinia are awesome thought. And it's only 30MB for a download for full version.

As for polygons, it's been researched that more polygons don't actually make things look more realistic. It's the facial animations, body movements, shader effects and little details that make things look real, even if they only have a small number of polygons.

And proper lighting. Even today games have a very poor implementation of it imho. The Doom3 attacked the problem using very costly method and it's working. Unfortunately this way scenes what have big areas and many actors are impossible. Not surprisingly, lighting is a tough problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Doom3 attacked the problem using very costly method and it's working. Unfortunately this way scenes what have big areas and many actors are impossible.
Thats silly, it may be impossible now but later on it won't be...

I played Darwinia, it looked awesome until my units moved themselves down into a slope that they couldn't get out of.

I just finished the demo. Game is a very good one however, the patch search function of units is lacking. Too much "micromanagement" is needed. All other aspects of Darwinia are awesome thought. And it's only 30MB for a download for full version.
Well, there are two reasons why there is no pathfinding:
1. It's the way the gameplay is designed. You have to watch over your units.
2. Introversion is four guys and they simply didn't have the resources to make a game with complex pathfinding.

The Doom3 attacked the problem using very costly method and it's working. Unfortunately this way scenes what have big areas and many actors are impossible.
Thats silly, it may be impossible now but later on it won't be...

Yes my mistake but how much would pay for such ability?

Stencil shadows aren't really that bad but they are very heavy bandwith wise. I'm not going to spend a small fortune for a graphics card (of few of them for a "SLI") to just be able play Doom4 and see few bigger scenes without single digit frame/second perfomance.

And such things like MSAA (thought not ideal) are mandatory for me so it's making the problem worse.

1. It's the way the gameplay is designed. You have to watch over your units.
2. Introversion is four guys and they simply didn't have the resources to make a game with complex pathfinding.
I'd assume the former, especially since you only handle a small number of units. Djikstra/A* pathfinding is not hard to implement.

Back