Will Opengl3 Graphic Cards Improves 3d Performance In Linux.

eksasol

Actually I could just just drop a couple hundreds of dollars or so and find out, but I want to post about this anyway. I just can't find any reviews on opengl3 performance in graphic cards because there are so little interest in it with the dominance of DirectX. Ofcourse I read about OpenGL3 when it was released, most of the impression is that it is behind and was a bit of a disapointment.

Here is thing, I've been using Ubuntu and little bit of Debian for a while now, I keep having to keep XP in that little partition because I need it for two 3D games, one is Day of defeat Source, which I've been playing since its release and gotten to know some people because of it so I don't want to stop. There are speculation of Steam coming to Linux, but I don't think so.

I'm using a 9800GT right now, the speed for DODS is pretty horrible. I'm know there are alot of opengl knowledge around here. I wonder if anyone has a different card, perhap ATI, that gets better 3d graphic performance in Linux. I'm not looking to spend on the most powerful card as a whole, but on what give me better perfomance in Linux, it doesn't make sense to shell out on a gtx295 so one can switch to a free operating system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything newer and more powerful will necessarily perform better, but openGL 3 compatibility is just frosting on the proverbial delicious cake since [I assume] your WINE setup is already working pretty well with OGL 2.

A card that can do OGL3 is probably more powerful than one that can't, but OpenGL 3 itself is not a limiting factor.
Just buy a newer card. It will run faster, and if the card supports OGL 3, that's just a bonus.

edit: Although I would expect something like a 9800 to run the Source engine pretty well, even after the overhead of converting to OpenGL. Maybe your drivers suck. Try talking to some of the WINE guys and seeing which cards have good Linux drivers and which have been reported to work well with WINE's DX -> OGL translator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back