3D Gba Games

kev256

Still Fresh
I've been watching youtube videos and I'm amazed by how smoothly GBA games play on the wiz. The ones I've seen so far are all either 2D games or mode 7 games. My question is how well does it handle the 3D GBA games like super monkey ball jr, crazy taxi, or driv3r? There are a bunch of 3D first person shooters for GBA too. Has anybody tried these?

kev256 said:
I've been watching youtube videos and I'm amazed by how smoothly GBA games play on the wiz. The ones I've seen so far are all either 2D games or mode 7 games. My question is how well does it handle the 3D GBA games like super monkey ball jr, crazy taxi, or driv3r? There are a bunch of 3D first person shooters for GBA too. Has anybody tried these?

I play with Crazy Taxi a lot,and it runs really nice. for 3D games it's useful to overclock the WIZ to 650MHz for example (too much overclocking will cause graphical glitches with the GBA emu)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found most 3d games on the GBA emu run quite slow; fps: Eks & Sever, James Bond, Doom, Duke Nukem, sports: Fifa 2005, 06 and 07 racing: Top Gear Rally (the best driving game on GBA in my humble opinion) And some can freeze up if you set the overclock too high.
Sonic Battle ran ok, but yeah most are fairly slow at present, though it is still a absolutely brilliant emulator!

Top Gear Rally
topgearrally_051403_23_640w.jpg

IGN review

need for speed didn't run at full speed and bruce lee was out of sync and i was a very frustrated 14 year old boy

Daniel J Diggle said:
I've found most 3d games on the GBA emu run quite slow; fps: Eks & Sever, James Bond, Doom, Duke Nukem, sports: Fifa 2005, 06 and 07 racing: Top Gear Rally (the best driving game on GBA in my humble opinion) And some can freeze up if you set the overclock too high.
Sonic Battle ran ok, but yeah most are fairly slow at present, though it is still a absolutely brilliant emulator!

Top Gear Rally

IGN review

How slow are they? Are they still playable? Are they as bad as psx games? If you turn sound off or use frameskip does it help?

Nixot said:
I tried Need For Speed Most Wanted with the GBA emulator, and I must say, it ran not even half the speed. The sound was full of crackles. This was at 700 MHz, mind, any faster and the game would just hang. I even tried it with a 2D game, Bruce Lee Return Of The Legend, but the sound was, like, a second out of sync. Pathetic. Don't even try the GBA emulator until it's at least 20 version numbers ahead.

It's really that bad? On the youtube videos it looks like they are playing full speed. Even the mode 7 games like mario kart and f-zero.

kev256 said:
Nixot said:
I tried Need For Speed Most Wanted with the GBA emulator, and I must say, it ran not even half the speed. The sound was full of crackles. This was at 700 MHz, mind, any faster and the game would just hang. I even tried it with a 2D game, Bruce Lee Return Of The Legend, but the sound was, like, a second out of sync. Pathetic. Don't even try the GBA emulator until it's at least 20 version numbers ahead.

It's really that bad? On the youtube videos it looks like they are playing full speed. Even the mode 7 games like mario kart and f-zero.

I've just tried F-zero, it runs between 50-60 fps on default clock (533 MHz), and the feeling is absolutely smooth (firmware 1.1.0)

Nixot said:

What's pathetic is someone that judges an emulator based on the performance of one game that happens to brutalize it. 3D games in general won't run that well because writes to VRAM aren't optimized, but this one in particular performs self modifying code too much for gpSP in the state it exists in to handle. You can wait for as many versions as you want. I don't think that's going to change.

We have to thank the coders not to bother them.

Nixot, you have my ticket for the HellBus.I hope you enjoy it :)

there's a new wiz video on youtube today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSVyjhh5UMs
at 7:50 sega rally championship plays

On this video it looks full speed! There's no fps shown, but the race clock on the screen looks like it's counting real seconds.

Daniel J Diggle said:

Top Gear Rally

IGN review

I'll have to break out my GBA flash card and compare some games because Doom and Eck vs Sever seems full speed on the Wiz but maybe I'm off a bit.

You want to try Payback but it does weird stuff.

twitch said:
one game i cant even get over 7fps is sword of mana its the pits lol

yeah when i read this i reinstalled the emu no it works but cut scenes are 30(20)ish

Back