Tileworld2x Beta 1

senquack

I feel a great disturbance in the source
Website
Visit site
Hello, folks, I've been slaving away for almost a month and finally am ready to release a public beta of my latest port. I can finally sleep :D Let me know of any bugs.

Archive link:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,2368

Screenshots:
sshot1ix7.png

sshot2sb1.png

sshot3as4.png

TileWorld is an open source interpreter for
Chip's Challenge levels. Chip's Challenge remains
a popular game today, despite having been
introduced in 1989 on the Lynx handheld. The
version that truly launched Chip's Challenge,
however, was the Microsoft Entertainment Pack
version released in the early nineties.

Tileworld boasts improved tile graphics and
sound and fluid animation that the MS version
did not.

I have carefully ported TileWorld to the small
screen of the GP2X, and basically rewritten the
entire GUI, as well as a lot of the file handling
code and all of the sound code. TileWorld2x
boasts improvements over the desktop version of
TileWorld, including music support, improved
sound samples (OK, one), a simplified and prettier
GUI, and automated handling of configuration files.

Love this puzzle game! Huge amount of levels, very polished and works perfect.
Also great music!

A treat for the eye, ears and mind, thanks.

i know how much work you've done with the gui, because i tried to port this a couple of months ago but gave up when i saw how sloppily it was coded!

all the extra stuff you added (cool text & menus) is really nice looking as well.

awesome work.

Holy Crap!!!

I lost half my youth playing this on my Lynx, downloading now, can wait to give it a whirl.

Thanks!!

Awesome with a side order of excellent and a dessert of great! :D

As I mentioned on IRC I had a go at porting this years ago but beyond a mere port the attention to the GUI and the GP2X interface you have given this really makes it shine. I also agree that the code of the original engine is a bit of a mess ;).

This is Great, my friend and I spent weeks playing this on my lynx until we completed it, they were good times.

A wonderful game and an absolutly fantastic port, thank you for your work :D

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the game and no troubles have been reported at all. I spent a loooong time polishing and testing it to make sure it was a good first release. I know of only one bug currently, a very tiny, very intermittent bug with repeating sounds on force floors. There are a few more tiny issues to address, but for the most part I regret calling it a beta :)

I forgot to mention that I have gone ahead and included over a dozen quality user-created level packs with TileWorld2X totalling over 500 levels (guess off the top of my head). This includes CCLP2, the 140+level fan-made unofficial sequel to the original game.

I also want to point out you can use the X/Y/A/B buttons as a d-pad.

I have posted the source code here:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,2370

If you want more info and some links to get more levels and look at online competition for fastest completions of levels check the new wiki page I made:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/TileWorld2X

Also, LOL:
chipschallengeve9.jpg

This was obviously a labour of love, Senor Quack. Congrats on a fine job and thanks for the wiki too! :D

Ok, I'm about ready to cry, because I LOVE Chips Challenge, and this game keeps crashing. T_T

Here's what happens: The program starts, says loading, says Push any button to continue, and then, no matter what button I push, the music quits and it just sits there for a second, and then it exits and goes back to gp2xmenu.

I have Firmware 2.0.0, any ideas? I really would like to get this working, because Chips Challenge was one of my favorite games back in the day.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Ok, I'm about ready to cry, because I LOVE Chips Challenge, and this game keeps crashing. T_T

Here's what happens: The program starts, says loading, says Push any button to continue, and then, no matter what button I push, the music quits and it just sits there for a second, and then it exits and goes back to gp2xmenu.

I have Firmware 2.0.0, any ideas? I really would like to get this working, because Chips Challenge was one of my favorite games back in the day.

-God Ginrai
have you tried just taking it off your sd (and possibly formatting) and putting it back on? cause since no one else mentioned this, i'm inclined to think it was just a bugged install. doesn't mean i'm right, but go ahead and do that if you haven't already. or try another sd, something that can rule that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
I think it might be because when you extracted the .ZIP file, the subfolders and their contents weren't properlly extracted. I had the same perplexing problem once, and found that under 7-Zip, somehow this option got changed:

7zipinstructionslq6.png

If you see a bunch of .WAV or .MOD files mixed in with the .gpe program executable, you know the ZIP isn't extracted right. Try unzipping it with 7-ZIP and that above option if problems continue. If it still won't work, I will fix it, don't worry.

Thanks for your help, it was actually something with the SD it seems, because I copied my extracted folder to another SD and it works now. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks rokdcasbah, your idea worked. ;)

And Senor Quack, thanks for porting it! ^_^

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Thanks for your help, it was actually something with the SD it seems, because I copied my extracted folder to another SD and it works now.
I had an SD once that stopped me playing PrBoom (Doom). For some strange reason the game worked when I lowered the clock speed to around 166MHz in gmenu2x.

A couple of things I've noticed after playing this great game over the last few evenings :-
  • The disabling of the music is not remembered between restarts
  • The selected level pack is not remembered between restarts
If anybody is running GMenu2X, this game runs quite happily at 66MHz so you can conserve your batteries :)

Thunor said:
A couple of things I've noticed after playing this great game over the last few evenings :-
  • The disabling of the music is not remembered between restarts
  • The selected level pack is not remembered between restarts
If anybody is running GMenu2X, this game runs quite happily at 66MHz so you can conserve your batteries :)
I think those will be good features to add for version 1.0! Thanks for your kind comments in the archive..

I will also be fixing a small glitch involving the display of times recorded for levels that have no time limit. It will not affect recorded saves, so don't worry about not being able to copy your old save/ folder.

Thunor said:
66 Mhz also seems to be fine for the F200. Strange, I didn't expect it to be working with a low clockspeed like this.

Still impressed with this game, really top quality!

b_o_b said:
66 Mhz also seems to be fine for the F200. Strange, I didn't expect it to be working with a low clockspeed like this.
Is it really running at 66Mhz or is the game overriding it without us knowing?

Comments, Senor Quack?

Back