Tileworld2x Beta 1

imhotep said:
b_o_b said:
66 Mhz also seems to be fine for the F200. Strange, I didn't expect it to be working with a low clockspeed like this.
Is it really running at 66Mhz or is the game overriding it without us knowing?

Comments, Senor Quack?

It's my policy in games to never touch the CPU speed, it's up to the user. To be honest, I was surprised when I saw this and tried it and well it works! I was running it at 150mhz. I've backed it down to 100mhz now since I could see some jerkiness at 66mhz. Anyways, off to work glad everyone likes it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
It's my policy in games to never touch the CPU speed, it's up to the user.
Choice is a good thing.

This is a very high quality port, thanks a lot Senor! I never played Chip's challenge before, but I can see why everyone I heard talking about it is hooked :)

I just registered to this forum to say how much I love this port ^^

Nice work. It is even better than the original TileWorld. Could maybe your work be merged to the PC version?

Ferk said:
I just registered to this forum to say how much I love this port ^^

Nice work. It is even better than the original TileWorld. Could maybe your work be merged to the PC version?
Awesome to hear you like it, that makes my day! When I came back from hiking the Appalachian Trail, this year, I was craving a big project. I wanted to use TileWorld as a "warmup", something easy. Instead, I ended up literally spending an entire month doing nothing but program and polish TileWorld2X. It was nice, I didn't have a job and was pretty unhappy with the default UI in TileWorld.

I printed out prolly 200 pages of source code and poured over it, trying to figure out how it all went together. I probably spent a day or two alone on the 7-segment LED font (if you look at the font PNG, you can see it actually includes a lot more letters and symbols, all done by hand with a image of a 7-seg LED I found via google image search). I was originally going to include the entire menu as 7-segment led's. It looked pretty cool, but in the end I decided it wasn't the look I was going for. I also spent many days finding good music.

Merry Christmas! I am now motivated to release v1.0, which should only include a few tiny little fixes.

I sent an email to the Brian Raiter, author of TIleWorld, but he never mailed me back. To be honest, my new code it assumes a lot of things about the resolution of the screen (i.e., 320 x 240) and would take a lot of work.

I grabbed this port just before my Christmas holidays. I figured I'd check it out for a few minutes, see what all the fuss was about.

So some hours of play later... I realised that this had become my new favourite GP2x game.

Thank you so much!

--
Chris

Back