Throw In The Towel

aaronson911

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have had a gp2x for about a year and a half now and I am about ready to throw in the towel. Don't get me wrong the GP2X has a lot of strengths but I find the battery life just does not cut it. (I know I could have a better charger that that could help my batteries last longer.) It is really frustrating when you have been playing ogre battle and the batteries just go and you lose some of your progress. I know both game park holdings and Cragx are releasing new systems but I don’t want to wait for the new systems to reach some level of maturity. I was thinking of getting a Nintendo DS. For $129.99 Wifi, a touch screen and lithium ion batteries seem to be a pretty good deal. Does any body have experience with both Nintendo DS emulation and gp2x. I am most interested in nes and snes emulation.

Emulation on the DS pretty much sucks and the emulators are no where near as mature as the ones available on the GP2X (think not much better than those available for the GP2X at the very start). NES emulation is reasonable, but the screen has to be shrunk to fit everything on screen, which buggers the appearance up quite a bit.

Ever heard of savestates?

PS: why not get the better charger? (and better batteries if that's the case, at least 2500mAh)

aaronson911 said:
I have had a gp2x for about a year and a half now and I am about ready to throw in the towel. Don't get me wrong the GP2X has a lot of strengths but I find the battery life just does not cut it. (I know I could have a better charger that that could help my batteries last longer.) It is really frustrating when you have been playing ogre battle and the batteries just go and you lose some of your progress. I know both game park holdings and Cragx are releasing new systems but I don’t want to wait for the new systems to reach some level of maturity. I was thinking of getting a Nintendo DS. For $129.99 Wifi, a touch screen and lithium ion batteries seem to be a pretty good deal. Does any body have experience with both Nintendo DS emulation and gp2x. I am most interested in nes and snes emulation.

DS = 256 x 192.

You are not going to get much in the way of good emus with a low res screen like that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
aaronson911 said:

DS = 256 x 192.

You are not going to get much in the way of good emus with a low res screen like that ;)

aaronson911 said:
For the DS, any emulation except DS and GBA is not good. Less of quality than GBA. If you want to get DS or GBA emulation/buy the games, then the DS is better. Otherwise no.
I suggest to get the PSP/PSP Lite, which should have more battery life than the PSP[12+Hour](Not sure if emulation it will work immediately on PSP Lite)
+ The SNES emulation is just as good as the GP2X(better actually, [some problems to people who want perfection]) and the NES should be just as good well.
(Although the PSP is better for comercial games[I don't use if for emulation at all] it still has better emulation of SNES/NES at this point)

aaronson911 said:
Well, I would like my own GP2X more, if its battery Livespan would be 10 instead of 4-5 Hours. But I can live with it. 4x Ansmann 2700mAh Accu's are my choice. 2 in the machine, 2 to charge, no Problems. .)

But I think battery life will be an big issue of the new Craigix Handheld to. We can be lucky if this thing will have Accu times like the GP2X. But this OMAp Chipset sounds very energy Hungry at its standard clockrate, compared to Nintendo Handhelds of course. I really hope, we will have an 10+ Hour device somehow but I doubt that. :(

aaronson911 said:
I have had a gp2x for about a year and a half now and I am about ready to throw in the towel.
Does any body have experience with both Nintendo DS emulation and gp2x. I am most interested in nes and snes emulation.
Holy smokes. Are you kidding? If not,

SNES emulation: gp2x vs ds vs gba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3bZxwBGgo

...and this is on an old ass snes emulator that's gotten much better.

NES emulation: gp2x vs ds vs gba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudRkevL1wk

Here, the DS's emulation is ok but check out the resolutions:

NES: NTSC/PAL at 256 x 240
GBA: 2.9" LCD at 240 x 160
DS: 3" LCD (each) at 256 x 192
GP2X: 3.5" LCD at 320 x 240

Even if everything's the same, which do you think would look better? On the DS, you have to do interlace flickering or scroll around. UGHHHHHH....

This was one of the main reason I switched away from the DS and GBA emulation to the gp2x. Now if you're going to the PSP, it'd make more sense. but then you deal with a whole new set of problems.

aaronson911 said:
imhotep said:
How long is your battery life, aaronson?
My Batteries are 2300 mAh and are about a year old. They last only 1-2 hours.

Note: That battery there life is better than mine. I have tried both 2600 duracel and 2500 energizers.(Both brand new) Both last around 5 - 10 minutes on the gp2x. Other problems with the gp2x: Missing buttons, battery contacts broke, head phone jack not working, random freezing problems, bad controls, the list goes on.
(I was offered $70 for it. Damn.)

ZXC3CD said:
aaronson911 said:
imhotep said:
How long is your battery life, aaronson?
My Batteries are 2300 mAh and are about a year old. They last only 1-2 hours.

Note: That battery there life is better than mine. I have tried both 2600 duracel and 2500 energizers.(Both brand new) Both last around 5 - 10 minutes on the gp2x. Other problems with the gp2x: Missing buttons, battery contacts broke, head phone jack not working, random freezing problems, bad controls, the list goes on.
(I was offered $70 for it. Damn.)

aaronson911 proper battery's will give you 4-5 hours.

ZXC3CD, your unit is obviously faulty, send it in and get it fixed...

No way in hell do 2300mAh's last you 5-6 hours. Brand new brand-name 2500mAh don't usually reach that either.

aaronson911 said:
do you guys have charges that fully drain your batteries before charging them?
The good chargers are ones that charge slowly. Mine takes about 2 hours or more to charge mine (I haven't tested exactly though). Avoid the super fast chargers. e.g. 15 minute chargers.

You could have bad batteries. I have some 2000 mAh ones that last only a few minutes. My 2300 mAh PowerCells last 3 hours 10 mins (last test). My 2700 mAh Incas last 4 hours 46 minutes (last test). I still get pretty good times when I over clock to 260 MHz (2 hours 40 mins for PowerCells and 3 hours 50 mins for Incas).

You could also try cleaning the battery contacts as explained in another post, but I don't think that's your problem.

imhotep said:
The good chargers are ones that charge slowly. Mine takes about 2 hours or more to charge mine (I haven't tested exactly though). Avoid the super fast chargers. e.g. 15 minute chargers.

two hours? wow. Mine do a discharge + recharge and it takes from 24+ hrs.

YakumoFuji said:
imhotep said:

two hours? wow. Mine do a discharge + recharge and it takes from 24+ hrs.

Mine does 30mins :p It's a good trade off between speed and battery life. Plus it has fans.

Back