Anybody celebrating towel day?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Towel Day - May 25th

A tribute to Douglas Adams

You sass that hoopy Douglas Adams? Now there's a frood who knew where his towel was. You are invited to join your fellow hitchhikers in mourning the loss of the late great one. Join in on towel day to show your appreciation for the humor and insight that Douglas Adams brought to all our lives.

What do I do?

Carry your towel with you throughout the day to show your participation and mourning.

When do I do it?

May 25th, 2002

Where do I do it?

Everywhere.

Why a towel?

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

See this dutch forum to see some examples http://forum.fok.nl/topic/705295, (also my previous celebrations)

here's todays

dp1.jpg

dp2.jpg

dp3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the whole 5 book box set, absolute genius! and the reason noone was raptured was because the scheduled demolition of earth has been postponed :)

Ah damn, I had forgotten about that :(

Thank you for reminding me. I'll carry one visibly for the rest of the day.

Luckily I usually have a towel on me anyway :D

I have the whole 5 book box set, absolute genius! and the reason noone was raptured was because the scheduled demolition of earth has been postponed :)
I have all 5 books in one too, I need to read them now...

91ddc0f2b3c0647f3194e8e96625a35d_16103443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that 5-book "trilogy" box set too. I've read through 4 of 5, but I can't seem to get to the 5th. One day though. One day.

Great books either way.

FYI, on the PAL BBC DVD release of the TV series, one of the easter eggs is the complete "Computer Graphics" sequence that you can see from time to time running on Zaphod's ship's big viewscreen. It's all lovely widescreen pin sharp vectors (though not actually CG), runs about 10 minutes (no audio) and looks beautiful as a 20mb 720 pixel width XviD running on the Pandora. Anyone looking over your shoulder will be impressed.

Back