THQ closing plus bundle

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Huh, could have sworn this was posted somewhere here, but I can't find it. No matter...

So with THQ in dire financial trouble they've stepped right out of the traditional AAA++ mould and put a bunch of their games in the pay-what-you-want ring through the Humble Bundle.

I kind of put this alongside the Frozenbyte bundle: an fairly large established publisher taking advantage of a system that was originally intended to help small "indie" companies get rewarded for their work.

At the same time, this seems to be a last ditch effort on THQ's part, putting all their work out there and trusting in the good will of their fans not to just take without giving back, and that can be a very humbling position.

Having raised about 3.5 million so far I highly doubt they'll reach the numbers required to keep the company in business, but if this money can ensure that their employees actually get their final paycheque then it will be money well spent.

Plus it's an interesting experiment, whether the "pay what you want" method can realistically be applied to big name games as well. THQ has nothing to lose where other companies would be hesitant, but if they can actually make quite a few sales it might cause others to at least consider the possibility.

I bought it and paid above average, knowing I'll probably never play any of the games in this bundle. Most went to charity though.

edited edit: if I had known they're in financial trouble my distribution would have changed... might have been fair to indicate the company's problems on the humblebundle website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I herd they were going to Downsize their operations to be Apple AppStore devs

Bought the bundle, but divided it up between charity and the humble tip only - no real steam support from my side

Last edited by a moderator:
bought the bundle. but only for red faction... already got titan quest, metro 2033. I likely won't ever play SR not company of heroes... I might try darksider through...

Back