This Looks Interesting

These things are all over the place now and they are as crap as you might imagine. Some have screen resolutions as low as 128*64.

craigix posted on Sep 28 2006 at 04:08 PM said:
These things are all over the place now and they are as crap as you might imagine. Some have screen resolutions as low as 128*64.

I'd still like to try it out though. :)

EDIT: And if this is the device I think it is, it's being bought by a European company for larger distribution. I've seen a picture of their prototype unit, looks just like that one, but it's black. The screen quality looks good from the picture, but as that's from a very private forum, I don't think I'm allowed to tell you the company's name or post the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some reviews of them around on the net, they make quite funny reading. I don't think they have a CPU which compares to the GP2X, they just have a decoding chipset and a very basic cpu to drive it (something like 8mhz i'd guess). So they can't run emulators or such.

To be honest... I think this is much more interesting.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...-4inch-tft-169/

http://www.fujitsu.com/cn/fmc/en/services/...rv/MB93405.html

http://www.fujitsu.com/cn/fmc/en/news/arch.../2006/0220.html

CPU: Fujitsu FRV461.

Display: Samsung 4" TFT 16:9, 480*272 pixels, TV: 720*408 pixels.

Memory: NAND Flash, SD Card extension slot.

Power: DC Adaptor 5V, Built-in Li-ion Battery, Built-in Charging protection.

Input: USB device, A/V in, Built-in Microphone, Line-in.

Output: A/V out, Earphone, Built-in Stereo Speaker.

Adaptor: Input AC 100~240V, Output 5V 2A.

Power Consumption: 1.5W.

Memory: NAND Flash 512MB, SD Card (16MB~ 1GB).

System: Linux, System Start-up Time 12s.

Battery: Li-ion, 3.7V, 2,000mAH.

China Manufacturer specifications

Video Player
Formats supported: Mpeg1, Mpeg4, Divx (3.11, 4.x, 5.x), Xvid, WMV(7, 8), AVI, ASF,
WMV etc. Subscript simultaneous Display
Audio Player
Formats supported: WAV, MP3, MP3 pro, WMA, AAC, OGG, ASF etc.
Video Recorder
Recording under MP4 format is supported, QVGA 15fp
Audio Recorder
With built-in microphone / Line-in, directly recorded into MP3 format
Photo Review
Supports JPEG / BMP / PNG / TIFF / GIF cartoon formats
Game Functions
FC Emulator retro classic games are supported(Included an can Download)
File Management
File operations as delete, cut, and copy are supported, File copy between different
Memory devices are supported
Text Review
Reading of txt format files are supported
Clock Function
World time and Calendar

So it has TV-Out and a 400mhz ARM9 CPU with dsp! It loads Linux in 12 seconds. Probably a little longet then the gp2x, but quick enough for me. Battery looks a bit scary though.

I'd love to play with one of these for only $200 US.

EDIT: actaully, does not say ARM anywhere.

craigix posted on Sep 28 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
There are some reviews of them around on the net, they make quite funny reading. I don't think they have a CPU which compares to the GP2X, they just have a decoding chipset and a very basic cpu to drive it (something like 8mhz i'd guess). So they can't run emulators or such.

I guess it makes sense, 'cause the guy talking about it (from the company I mentioned earlier) did call it the 'kids version' and said it wasn't all that exciting. As for the 'adult version', I can't say anything about that, mainly because I don't know anything about it.

EDIT: Here's the cheapest MP4 I can find with an actual reference to being 320x240:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...sd-mmc-slot-av/

Like Craig said, most of these have disgustingly slow CPUs. The resolution situation is often even worse than 128x64-- try 96x64! That's a fucking icon. :p Unless the CPU ~200 MIPS+ like the GP32/GP2X's, and there is at the very least some sort of hardware blitter, they won't come close to their abilities for any sort of game or emulation functionality. The ones that list things like 'Memory: 256MB' just mean internal flash storage, and probably have very little actual scratch RAM for the CPU to work with-- making running complex games pretty much out of the question-- and of course large ROM files.

Also with that first one, holy crap, look at the button configuration-- it's all set so low, it'd be terribly difficult to hold and easy to drop.

But I do need to give them credit. Even these crummy no-name Chinese media players used a proper D-Pad. :p

icurafu posted on Sep 28 2006 at 07:40 PM said:
To be honest... I think this is much more interesting.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.ph...-4inch-tft-169/
So it has TV-Out and a 400mhz ARM9 CPU with dsp! It loads Linux in 12 seconds. Probably a little longet then the gp2x, but quick enough for me. Battery looks a bit scary though.

I'd love to play with one of these for only $200 US.

EDIT: actaully, does not say ARM anywhere.
I dug a little deeper and it looks like the ARM926 or ARM920 series of processor since they mention scalability to 266 MHz which is quite specific. The Fujitsu chipset they mention seems quite a bit more powerful than the MMSP2 in the GP2X, but no 2D/3D acceleration is listed ( :( ) and I don't know if a blitter is included. I would hope so. The looks of the unit are pretty repulsive though, it's just a white PSP and the build quality looks very low. Also, 480x272 :( The XGP series are likely to use 266 Mhz ARM926EJ-S processors, but if they opt for the chipset I recommended as it sounds they will, you'd get a Vector/FPU that is faster than the GP2X's CPU on its own, a 100 Mhz 16-bit DSP, the usual hardware MPEG4 and also hardware JPEG, along with the aforementioned 2D/3D accelerator.

If you want something to replace the GP2X that's not a colossal pain in the ass to reverse-engineer and develop for, one of those two XGP devices is probably your best bet, really. There's no telling what quantity of these generic PMPs is even in existance, if it's still being produced, who makes it, and there's no real 'reliable' avenue to get them en masse. Hard to justify developing for one if not just for kicks.

p.s. The comments on that page sound like they're from a Nigerian e-bay scam email with all the talk of escrow and bank transfers. He even starts calling them "cell phones" and uses a different company name in the second e-mail, like they were drawn out of a hat.

Support games and time display

I see that games are such a high priority that they're mentioned in the same breath as the clock!

I think it's quite amusing that a Chinese company have opted for a funny yellow little man for their logo!

Epicenter posted on Sep 28 2006 at 11:19 PM said:
p.s. The comments on that page sound like they're from a Nigerian e-bay scam email with all the talk of escrow and bank transfers. He even starts calling them "cell phones" and uses a different company name in the second e-mail, like they were drawn out of a hat.

Lol, you're right. I hadn't read the customer comments yet, those are quite amusing!

*Whew* That's not the product the european company will be selling. Now I know not to order it at least.

EDIT: Although it appears to be taken directly from that device, though it is slightly lower in specification.

Well, they do have a website up now, I guess I'll ask if it's okay to post up a link to it.

EDIT: By the way, I'm pretty sure you won't have heard of them. They're a start up from early this year.

Epicenter posted on Sep 29 2006 at 04:19 AM said:
, you'd get a Vector/FPU that is faster than the GP2X's CPU on its own, a 100 Mhz 16-bit DSP, the usual hardware MPEG4 and also hardware JPEG, along with the aforementioned 2D/3D accelerator.

If you want something to replace the GP2X that's not a colossal pain in the ass to reverse-engineer and develop for, one of those two XGP devices is probably your best bet, really.

What is it with you lately?

It seems all you do is bash the GP2X and trumpet the XGP. Maybe hold XGP fanboi comments until the damn thing is out ;)

DaveC posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:13 PM said:
, you'd get a Vector/FPU that is faster than the GP2X's CPU on its own, a 100 Mhz 16-bit DSP, the usual hardware MPEG4 and also hardware JPEG, along with the aforementioned 2D/3D accelerator.

If you want something to replace the GP2X that's not a colossal pain in the ass to reverse-engineer and develop for, one of those two XGP devices is probably your best bet, really.

It seems all you do is bash the GP2X and trumpet the XGP. Maybe hold XGP fanboi comments until the damn thing is out ;)

It seems that whenever someone talks about another system, even in a technical and hypothetical sense, you get crazy jealous and start fawning over the gp2x. Maybe you should be more open-minded and think of what the XGP can offer you, rather than what it will take away from the gp2x ;)

iignotus posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:17 PM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:13 PM said:

It seems that whenever someone talks about another system, even in a technical and hypothetical sense, you get crazy jealous and start fawning over the gp2x. Maybe you should be more open-minded and think of what the XGP can offer you, rather than what it will take away from the gp2x ;)

It seems as though whenever someone talks about some talking about someone talking about another system, you all get really bent out of shape and start jumping down people's throats. Maybe you should be more open-minded and think about how great the gp32, gp2x are, and how it's quite possible that the XGP will kick ass as well.

icurafu posted on Sep 29 2006 at 08:35 PM said:
Probably wont be as easy to dev for as they GP2X anyways...
Well, if it runs Linux, and since he said it was an 'open source' console it probably does, it should be very easy to develop for and most programs will run fine with just a recompile, if they don't use any ARM-specific ASM-- and if it's an ARM processor, then no problem there, either.

DaveC said:

It seems all you do is bash the GP2X and trumpet the XGP. Maybe hold XGP fanboi comments until the damn thing is out wink.gif

It seems that whenever someone talks about another system, even in a technical and hypothetical sense, you get crazy jealous and start fawning over the gp2x. Maybe you should be more open-minded and think of what the XGP can offer you, rather than what it will take away from the gp2x wink.gif

DaveC- You can't be a fanboy when the system doesn't exist. I'm only saying, GamePark is sure to release a machine, and from the oldest published specs, it has all the features the GP2X has and then some. They want to make the machines higher-end to compensate for the time they took developing them, and if they follow the recommendations I made (as they are considering) it'd be an enormous leap beyond the GP2X's capabilities. Encouraging that isn't a bad thing and it's not going to hurt the GP2X in any way-- software for XGP systems should run fine on the GP2X and vice-versa, it's just that things that the GP2X cannot handle won't work correctly. But Linux machines have a knack for being intercompatible .. some software shouldn't even need to be RECOMPILED to run. :p So I don't really know what the fuss is about....

Also a lot of your more persistent comments, like that the XGP is a 'PSP clone' with a horrible analog stick and display aspect (16:9) don't even make that much sense anymore. GP's stated they're considering switching to a D-Pad due to the huge outpouring of support for one, and lower cost-- they'll probably do that. They're also considering 4:3 for the aspect ratio on both machines-- and even if the main XGP model does use 16:9, it would not be the end of the world. The internal hardware is also dramatically different from the PSP.

Back