This is...The perfect Android Bluetooth controller?

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
original.jpg

A Controller Solution That Strikes at the Very Core of Android Mobile Gaming

Last week I reported on Power A's MOGA portable gaming system for Android devices, a system that allows developers to quickly integrate game pad support into their Android titles. Nyko's PlayPad line of tablet controllers might not be quite as elegant, but they make up for that lack of style by being compatible with just about every Android game in existence.

Rather than relying on a software solution, Nyko has teamed up with NVIDIA, the company that makes the Tegra processors that power today's increasingly powerful Android tablets to create the PlayPad and PlayPad Pro, a pair of Bluetooth controllers optimized for high-powered Tegra 3 gaming.

The smaller PlayPad, about the size of as Super Nintendo game pad, comes in a variety of colors and is packed in a special case that comes with a plastic stand to hold your tablet upright as you play.

Full size
playpadcase.jpg

The PlayPad Pro is a larger controller that features a similar look and feel to Nyko's Raven wireless controllers for the PlayStation 3, my preferred third-party PS3 pad.

Full size
playpadpro.jpg

Instead of a special software development kit, the PlayPad line utilizes the standard human interface device protocol supported by today's leading Android hardware and software. Working with NVIDIA means that every game that shows up in the TegraZone game store will work with the controllers without any configuration needed.

For non-supported games Nyko has prepared a free app called Playground that elegantly allows nearly any game to work with the PlayPad in short order. Some games natively support mapping. For those that don't, Playground will let players snap a screenshot of their game and then drag controller elements onto the picture to create custom mapping. Say you've got an on-screen button in your role-playing game for drinking a potion. Snap a picture, drag one of the controller's face buttons to the area the button appears, and you're good to go.

The smaller PlayPad might be a bit too tiny for those with larger hands, but the PlayPad Pro feels just like a console controller, especially when connected to a tablet using its video out to display on a big screen television, a configuration I fiddled with during my Nyko meeting at E3 last week.

That's two Android gaming solutions I saw during last week's festivities, both that make a whole lot of sense. It should be interesting to see if Nyko or Power A comes out on top.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a fancy new quad core Tegra 3 tablet before the battle begins this fall.

http://kotaku.com/59...d-tablet-gaming

Bluetooth controllers optimized for high-powered Tegra 3 gaming.
Yer what?

I got the impression that this thing sends key-presses (or analogue values) via bluetooth

These signals are simple enough to be sent ten/hundreds a second, and easily handled by a high-end ARM chip

Who cares what kind of graphics processing is going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most marketing in this world is full of B$.

that's what really makes angry when it comes from OP... I don't really care about all the kind of delay they had but when they obviously lies to us by giving us some totally wrong estimation comming from nowhere and that, even with the few information we have, are obviously wrong...

This Playpad will be released in a few months most likely, I will probably get one too, found out there's quite a good range of UK stockists that will get this.

The tablet stand that it comes with looks pretty sweet too

Android_PlayPad6_zoom.jpg

Is there a charging dock for it?
NO, it's a stand to hold your tablet upright, while you play games with their game pad. Pretty cool, and inexpensive. It can also be used for your phone or smaller notepad, ect.

Chris

Looks beautiful, although that DPad looks shoddy, and it lacks any form of clamp, I'll just stick with my iCP for now ;)

Looks beautiful, although that DPad looks shoddy, and it lacks any form of clamp, I'll just stick with my iCP for now ;)
These are actually early prototype pics(photoshop, ect.), this isn't due out until november or december. Even at their E3 booth, there was no physical items to see, just pics. The power grip pro is due in october, and that photo is bogus as well. http://nyko.com/prod...=Power+Grip+Pro , looks nice though. Nyko has been making pads and controllers for years, and their D-Pads aren't the best, but they aren't the worst either.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with their customer services and was told the playpad will be out in fall, so perhaps before Nov /Dec.. which is winter eh. That's what they said, might not be what happens though... give or take two months I suppose

Back