This girl is on fire

I'm sorry for your loss but insurance will take care of you, I'm sure. Even so, I know I've got a lot of stuff at my house that insurance could never replace so my well wishes go out to you and all that. Thankful no one actually got hurt.

That being said,

the battery (not melted at all, nor are any of its stickers, as they were protected by the unit itelf) is still usable.
Lithium batteries are scary shit. If the outside of the Pandora looks like that it definitely took some heat and I'd be afraid of it. Maybe it's fine, maybe it's internally damaged, but a bad battery can trigger another fire and it's probably not worth the risk. If you get a new one make sure to also get a new battery: enshrine the old one for it's strength and endurance, but don't actually use it.

Wow pandoras are sturdy!
Indeed :) Sorry to have stolen your last statement, it was much too tempting.

Hope you didn't lose too much stuff which can't be replaced.

If I were you I'd think about sending the case in to ED for an RMA as you have a slight crack in the hinge ;)
Most of the physical things can be replaced (not all, but I'll survive), and we have plans to make the renovation look better than previously (trying hard to find positive aspects of the event). To my surprise, I could salvage the hard drives from two other very burned laptops, and they seem to work.

I wouldn't dare asking for RMA, but I already queried the Dragonbox about it and the answer was that if something could be salvaged, it would be.

By multiplug you mean power-board right?
Yes. "multiplug" is a direct translation attempt from french and Google told me it should be understandable. Thanks for giving the proper word. That one came with the house (actually directly connected to the wall without a plug) when we bought it, so it was probably at least 10 years old. Lesson learned the hard way.

And tsk, still running Sz 1.52? ;)
Eagle eye :) Yes, I'm not on the boards on a regular basis (just occured to me that I HAD to share that story). I'm afraid I didn't use the Pandora much over the last months, except as a DivX player for my kids. But there's no way I stay without one for long, so 1 GHz it will be.

@WizardStan: about the battery: that thought came to me afterwards too. I certainly won't use it again.

@All: the insurance papers, and experts & cleaning/rebuilding people visits are ongoing. It'll take a few months but we'll eventually live there again. Thanks for your supportive messages !

Last edited by a moderator:
Lithium batteries are scary shit. If the outside of the Pandora looks like that it definitely took some heat and I'd be afraid of it. Maybe it's fine, maybe it's internally damaged, but a bad battery can trigger another fire and it's probably not worth the risk. If you get a new one make sure to also get a new battery: enshrine the old one for it's strength and endurance, but don't actually use it.
Modern LiPos can be quite resistant towards fire, explosion and so on. One of my friends is in a RC model club and keeps me quite up to date - seeing a really massive copper cable burn up when short circuiting a large model grade LiPo while the battery itself does not show any sign of damage is quite impressive.

I've been told that the Lithium in LiPo batteries is already oxidated and therefore not inflammable, overcharging changes that, however.

I guess you would have to replace some parts like the volumewheel, usbport, nubs, powerswitch, headphonejack etc. ;)

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad there was nobody hurt.

I've been told that the Lithium in LiPo batteries is already oxidated and therefore not inflammable, overcharging changes that, however.
Perhaps things are different now. Perhaps it's a difference between lithium-polymer and solid lithium-ion. All I know is a few years ago when I learned about lithium batteries it didn't require overcharging, uncharged lithium is oxidized, charged lithium is not: if you punctured the casing at all and then charged it up, the charged lithium could react violently with any oxygen that would slip through even the smallest hole.You're probably right, tech has probably been advanced enough that a little thing like fire wouldn't normally cause any problems, but I was given some training a few years ago with plenty of "this is what happens" videos that will always make me choose safety over even tiny risk.

You should keep it forever as a memento its really cool that it survived such an ordeal. it's a shame about your house but that would be an awesome talking point some years down the line. Also it would look very cool as an ornament in your newly refurbished home. i can recommend 1GHz as a functional replacement though.

I'm sorry for you.

My flat is stuffed with musical instruments that were nearly all special orders specifically made for my needs

or I build myself, because it's my job anyway

and only exist once on the planet (at least they are too "hot" to be stolen and sold this way).

Something in me would die if something like that happened.

I always thought lithium polymer batterys rather create fires than surviving a big one instead. oO

It's great that your data did survive, because that's the hardest part to replace and not possible at all most of the time.

Good luck in recreating your home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6DC2w5j5I

Good luck for you and your family with recovering from your losses. Glad nobody was injured!

You should keep it forever as a memento its really cool that it survived such an ordeal. it's a shame about your house but that would be an awesome talking point some years down the line. Also it would look very cool as an ornament in your newly refurbished home. i can recommend 1GHz as a functional replacement though.
definitely this :)

I would put this Pandora in a museum to show people how tough it is.

Jumpman, Cococreekfisherman:  This has proven you two are deadly wrong about the Pandora is physically weak  :p
I never said this at all.

History of , mushy key buttons,faulty LCD cables, bowing bezel, faulty shoulder buttons, cracks in casing,poor paint job, touch screen issues, problematic wifi, delicate nubs,battery seating issues, hinge function and more. Yes I said this. I feel after owning 4 Pandoras that had these problems I have the right to state such. Thankfully the one I won now is 'perfect'.

But the fact that this machine survived a fire had nothing to do with this. It all depends where things are located when a fire occurs. This Pandora is worthless now unfortunately.

I worked in a burn unit it for a few years and I can tell you that if somebody gets 2nd or 3rd degree burn it has nothing at all to do with physical toughness as you say. Rather it is that they are lucky they survived.

Last edited:
Horrible, yet amazing. Good on the "no persons damaged" front, and yep, that is one battle-scarred pandora.

The positive is, the next day can only be better :D

History of , mushy key buttons,faulty LCD cables, bowing bezel, faulty shoulder buttons, cracks in casing,poor paint job, touch screen issues, problematic wifi, delicate nubs,battery seating issues, hinge function and more. Yes I said this. I feel after owning 4 Pandoras that had these problems I have the right to state such. Thankfully the one I won now is 'perfect'.

But the fact that this machine survived a fire had nothing to do with this. It all depends where things are located when a fire occurs. This Pandora is worthless now unfortunately.

I worked in a burn unit it for a few years and I can tell you that if somebody gets 2nd or 3rd degree burn it has nothing at all to do with physical toughness as you say. Rather it is that they are lucky they survived.
OK.  I apologize for inacurrately putting words in your mouth.  Sorry.  You're right.  This Pandora is a lucky cat and has nothing to do with physical toughness.  :D

Back