Theresa May promises a British version of Iran's Halal Internet

I'm waiting for the moment these people push too far and it snaps right back into thier faces.

These people regulate things without a clue of what it is or how it functions. Which is why when ever they want to block this or censor that it's a joke.

China has issues blocking things. People constantly get around thier censorship daily.

those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither...

I'm not going to be shocked if there's a revolution. I just wonder which historical one we'll be repeating.

I think it unlikely we'll see a dramatic revolution with guillotines and pitchforks.

What does seem to be happening is the old 'big media' and political narratives falling from power.
The manipulative nonsense spewed out by news presenters doesn't work anymore. Brexit and Trumpy are perfect examples of this.
The impenetrable blob of twitter pundits and farcebook algorithms spew an equal amount of nonsense, the new system of public opinion isn't actually better, but Big Media don't know how to control it, and that's upset them, poor dears.

Reactions: ___
While I agree with the notion, I think that example is a case of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc.' Drawing comparisons, especially where the is none, only adds fuel to the fire, and sometimes crimes are just a case of (sick) individuals doing horrible things of their own accord
Well, backstory of this one is, that he was already a criminal in Greece from what I've read.
Who needs background checks?

The way the whole mindless "refugees welcome" thing was handled in the past two years, it was practically a free new identity for everyone, does that sound wise?

Animals shall be animals, you can't treat animals like normal beings and just expect them to not be animals.

A fact which is unpopular and often denied. People can and will change, but they will only do so if they want too. See the issue here?

You have a feral criminal who lets say rapes and beheads... how can you be shocked if they do so again?

it's these people who hurt everybody. Because of their actions there is fear.
This fear is what our glorious buzzards feed on and use when regulating us. If fear is shit then no wonder why the media are attracted to it like flies.

I'm waiting for the moment these people push too far and it snaps right back into thier faces.

It won't happen. Media will call any oppositionists "terrorists" and all people will happily damn them. That's why "terrorism" template is "installed" while e.g. attempts when "The last temptation" was screened is not shown in media as "terrorism". This needs to draw a clear "us-enemy" line.
In Poland we had a nice example near 1990 after fall of communism. Government was "changed" for another one, but preserving lots of people from communist party. So there were citizens who wanted to totally change government - no people who had history of any cooperation with "Unified Worker's Party" would be in politics. Media acted with another template - announced that they are "neo-nazi" and even few of oppositionists were killed. It worked, we still have lots of people with a messy history in politics.
This is now seen again, as overloading people by work time makes them abandon thinking and give their reasoning to templates installed from outside even easier. It works in lots of cases and sometimes becomes useful, that's why I like presenting projects right on deadlines and only "conditioning" other people before :). This is really useful, you don't say anything, they think you've said.
Most people now act by these templates, for the terrorism too, not thinking about it because they may accidentally think about bandit practices of NATO. Now as government, you can bomb a few cities for your "ally" and you have an attempt in advance, then you can push every law talking only about "terrorism".

There are of course more interesting methods in this system, but this one is the most popular one.

What does seem to be happening is the old 'big media' and political narratives falling from power.
The manipulative nonsense spewed out by news presenters doesn't work anymore. Brexit and Trumpy are perfect examples of this.
The impenetrable blob of twitter pundits and farcebook algorithms spew an equal amount of nonsense, the new system of public opinion isn't actually better, but Big Media don't know how to control it, and that's upset them, poor dears.

That was the story a year or two back, but since then a thing has coalesced under a name helpfully given by the man himself Pres. Trumpington; namely 'fake news'. Everyone's worried about fake news these days, and the big media organisations are happily promoting their fact checking services, which of course existed before the whole fake news thing blew up, but can now be rebranded around the label of 'fake news'.

Or, given I'm posting this on an internet forum, this could all be fake news too, I guess.

they-live.gif

Great discussion folks.

Heard about the Swiss man who was just fined the equivalent of 3700 euros for pressing 'like' on a few facebook posts? :)

Hard to decide what to post: I think this classic text might be the one I most recommend right now:

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

These politicians and the people that vote for them literally know nothing. The fact that they're using something like this to push an agenda that can only result in hurting innocent people is deplorable.

That said, I saw a story about how in the last couple of weeks May's popularity in the polls has taken a nosedive. I couldn't help wondering if a big part of the reason for that was her stated orwellian view of how the internet should be.

-Neelix

I thought it was more to do with her apparent inability to answer simple questions.
Aren't politicians trained to never give a straight answer and especially never answer with "yes" or "no".
They build a confusing cloud of words with as few content as possible so that it's harder to accuse them of lying afterwards.

I'm with Klumpen on this one. Watching parliament question time is a study in how to avoid answering questions, no matter who is in power.

-Neelix

These politicians and the people that vote for them literally know nothing. The fact that they're using something like this to push an agenda that can only result in hurting innocent people is deplorable.

It's not so much that, it's rather that our choices are quite limited with the current main parties running and so few want to give a third-party a chance as they feel it's "wasting a vote". At the moment you have the Conservative Party who are a bunch of prudes that want the internet to be "regulated" (good luck) but will probably be better on Brexit negotiations, then you've got the Labour Party who at this point are split between a bunch of crackpots who I wouldn't trust to fetch me a pair of matching socks let alone run the country and a group of elitists who would continue to push the policies which have pushed so many people to want Brexit in the first place.

We really don't have that much choice and it's quite sad really. I can see the government abusing this policy down the road, like they do with a lot of things.

I don't know politicians in many countries but in France during this year's presidential election there was a candidate about 80% to my taste. This is great, I was happy to vote and I consider normal that in a democracy you can rarely be 100% in favor of a candidate, as every voter has a slightly or widely different view of the world. Unfortunately he didn't get elected, hey I tried !

In the US elections Bernie Sanders sounded like a great choice as well.

I'm sad if there is no one in your country that you can trust or who seems decent. It seems to be the case as I read so much negativity here.

Please look for the good candidates and vote !

Back