The World's First 5.5 Inch Handheld PC/Gaming Console Based on Windows 10 System.

kendy zhu

Still Fresh
Hello,everyone.This is kendy form GPD company.We are a company is specialized in the design and manufacture of video games consoles.And we all have a dream to make a portable handheld PC/Gaming consoles based on Windows system.so we make GPD WIN.We made a campaign on INDIEGOGO for GPD WIN.Hope you can support us and keep it going!!Any concerns,just be free to let me know.Thanks so much!!http://igg.me/at/gpdwin/x/13469132
zjtrldvga7knjk0f5rdr.jpg

Very cool device design. Love the case and real keyboard. Will there be more opinion for operative system, like maybe a SteamOS version?
I don't think I will be getting this over the Pyra, none the less it's an impressive device, and I really miss these kinds of UMPC's that use to be much more popular.

I really like this innovative form factor/layout.

All jokes aside this does intrigue me. How are the controls on the other gpd handhelds?

Discussion already in another thread but good luck with that device, looks very promising (and a little bit Pandora/Pyra inspired, right? ;) ) The Hardware switch for gaming/mouse controls is interesting. Overall, I only miss a HW volume wheel.

P.S.: you guys should check your Indiegogo campaign for grammer/spell checking. The actual campaign presentation is well made though.

Hmmmmm for the mass of people:
Who will be out first and get all the money ???

For 300 bucks, and same specs at first look, the GPD one is first now.
Also they have an official "back/buy it" now

So if ED delivers an working prototype in these campain time (2month) and starts promoting the Pyra, he could get some GPD-interest-guys.

Hi Kendy,

Posted this on your Facebook page today :

Good luck with the GPD Win, looks like a great concept.

A few tips to help you succeed :

Show the windows interface in your renders with font/icon scaling enabled and set at perhaps 200% it will then look (and be) usable on a device with a small capacitive display.

Get some gameplay footage up using your prototype ASAP, showing things like Skyrim & PC Minecraft running on a handheld will generate some interest...

Many PC games use mouse & keyboard, when selecting mouse mode make both joysticks act as the mouse (for left and right handers) and give users the option of using / configuring the other buttons & controls. I for one would configure the DPAD as WSAD, the gaming buttons could be set for Jump, Run, Crouch, Inventory etc.

See if you can make SteamOS an option on boot, a dedicated handheld steam machine would turn a few heads.

And if you still can do it, change processor, put an atom z5-x8700, because the one you put is really so-so.

Anyone noticed these analog sticks? I wonder how well they perform in practise. I like the design, they are not slide pads (like I first thought) but still pretty low profile, the sunken design into the case also makes this an interesting solution. :) Campaign speaks of quality components, maybe this "ALPS" company that made these sticks can also help for the Pyra and it's analog-pads in the future.

I really like this innovative form factor/layout.

All jokes aside this does intrigue me. How are the controls on the other gpd handhelds?

Minimum is the fourth. One I open, another on Pyra General and another on Off topic. But yes, this one is more official.

Hey GPD, why do you need a Indiegogo campaign?

Anyone noticed these analog sticks? I wonder how well they perform in practise. I like the design, they are not slide pads (like I first thought) but still pretty low profile, the sunken design into the case also makes this an interesting solution. :) Campaign speaks of quality components, maybe this "ALPS" company that made these sticks can also help for the Pyra and it's analog-pads in the future.

Get a PS Vita, those should be the same sticks.

I still prefer pads to sticks though (at least for a mouse, for gaming, sticks are fine)

Wow - that keyboard design and layout is leaving a lot to be desired. I think they may have missed the mark on that part. Simply having a keyboard isn't the goal. Function counts. Those dedicated buttons on the right where someone will 'fat palm' the wrong button and change/launch things... poorly thought out. Maybe they'll re-think that entire physical key layout design?

Say what you will about the insanely lengthy keyboard threads we had here. The resulting Pyra keyboard is laid out far better than many other portable device keyboards I've seen - including several netbooks big enough to type on from major manufacturers who should know better.

Still, the clam shell portable full OS + emulator + gaming + keyboard + local storage + USB port market appears to be heating up. Maybe this is a case where more buzz = more units sold?

Get a PS Vita, those should be the same sticks.

I still prefer pads to sticks though (at least for a mouse, for gaming, sticks are fine)

GPD has made a better solution than PS Vita with their lowered profile built in the case. That's what I wanted to point out. I also thought about if the ALPS company also does pads besides these analog sticks. However, I would be fine with both, if they are working well (I never tried a PS Vita or such low profile analog sticks so no clue how they feel).

Does somebody know if GPD is in any way related to GPH?
Although GPH was in South Korea and GPD seems to be in Hong-Kong, the approach is somewhat similar minus the self published games.
Well as long as they for reasons I probably won't understand don't use a proper Linux distro they are no competition for ED anyway besides the obvious differences on the hardware side.

See if you can make SteamOS an option on boot, a dedicated handheld steam machine would turn a few heads.

Serious question here..

What does SteamOS provide that Win 10 with Steam automatically booting up in big picture mode doesn't? All I know is it'll have a much smaller library and in some cases inferior drivers.

There's some setup time involved if the users have to do it themselves as opposed to something that works out of the box. But since we're talking about an optional alternate SteamOS installation that GPD would have to do anyway I don't see why they can't do the Steam setup for you on Windows instead.

Seems like the real point of SteamOS was to save some money putting Windows on Steam Boxes, but AFAIK MS is more or less giving Windows 10 away for devices of this size so that becomes moot.

Back