The Ur-quan Masters 2x V1.0 (star Control Ii)

Damn! I took too long remembering stuff, and now I'm going to have to start over :/ Someone remind me to use multiple save slots this time ;) I was hoping to make a youtube vid of the final moments, so as not to spoil it for everyone, but seems thats going to have to wait a few more days.

Damn Kohr-Ah's!

poro said:
Thanks for the effort, but why assume everyone wants the new music?
It's not like it's hard to change. The in game menu has an option to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go to the download site to download the .uqm additional speech pack. I am downloading a .uqm.zip instead of an .uqm file. And When I'm unzipping the .uqm.zip file I get a selection of subdirectory's with Ogg's instead of the .uqm package file I would expect.
So, can I just place the .uqm.zip in the package directory of the game or do I need to rename tue uqm.zip -> uqm file? Or should I put the unzipped files in the package directory.

ledro said:
When I go to the download site to download the .uqm additional speech pack. I am downloading a .uqm.zip instead of an .uqm file. And When I'm unzipping the .uqm.zip file I get a selection of subdirectory's with Ogg's instead of the .uqm package file I would expect.
So, can I just place the .uqm.zip in the package directory of the game or do I need to rename tue uqm.zip -> uqm file? Or should I put the unzipped files in the package directory.
Here's the deal: .UQM files are really just .ZIP files renamed to .UQM

Don't extract them. Make sure it's placed in content\packages\ folder and called uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm

imhotep said:
poro said:
Thanks for the effort, but why assume everyone wants the new music?
It's not like it's hard to change. The in game menu has an option to switch.

That is not what I meant. With modern bandwidth it really is not a big deal that the zip is double in size of what is needed because of them. Sorry for this bitching, but I grew up with the one and only real soundtrack and no speech (and yes I once did try them). And since the addons are all just addons according to the official website and my tiny little puristic mind, I just got puzzled why the new music is force feeded as they are easily fetched if in need.

And silly of me to forget that the 3do-music was already with the release before this, and I surely had no trouble getting rid of it asap :)

No hard feelings for the author. Great job for a great cause!

poro said:
That is not what I meant. With modern bandwidth it really is not a big deal that the zip is double in size of what is needed because of them. Sorry for this bitching, but I grew up with the one and only real soundtrack and no speech (and yes I once did try them). And since the addons are all just addons according to the official website and my tiny little puristic mind, I just got puzzled why the new music is force feeded as they are easily fetched if in need.
Ask for your money back :lol:

i was under the impression that originally just the 3do version was opened up, not the pc version. which may explain why the music & default settings mirror the 3do stuff more.

rokdcasbah said:
i was under the impression that originally just the 3do version was opened up, not the pc version. which may explain why the music & default settings mirror the 3do stuff more.
Wellllllll, the real truth behind it is that I like the 3DO remixes just a tiny bit better than the original music, but it's really a tie. The 3DO music sort of reminds me of Nitzer Ebb and Juno Reactor, and I have always been a big fan of those artists. :) The MODs are very high quality, as well. I remember well how atmospheric they were, even on my "Thunderboard" mono soundblaster under DOS.

Update: Sometime in the near future I will hopefully be releasing a faster version (focusing again on speeding up the planetary lander and possibly allowing one to underclock and get more battery life, I like doing that). I am re-coding some Blitting sections in 100% ARM assembly and also, possibly, including a custom version of SDL. I will also be including the ARM ASM libTremolo OGG library (first time on the GP2X, yay!) and also fixing a small bug noone's mentioned where the volume controls "jump" the volume when starting the game at a lower volume from GMenu2X. Kinda annoying when using headphones.

This is awesome, thanks for continuing your work on this!

I really got into this game, it's very addicting and has a lot of depth. It looks huge though, did anyone here finish it?

Alex. said:
It looks huge though, did anyone here finish it?
I'm about to finish it again. :D

I've taken this port and done every single mission available to it through all the races and it hasn't crashed once. I am very impressed with it!

BTW Alex - there are walkthroughs that claim to be able to fly through the game in as little as two hours but you rush everywhere and skip a lot to do it. It's a decent-length game but it's very immersive and a lot of fun to go through. What I did the first time I played was I ran through it myself then - when I finished it - I grabbed a walkthrough and did everything I missed. :) Don't be surprised to find your first time through you don't get to do everything with the races due to - well - hostilities between the major antagonists. (That should be descriptive enough without giving anything away.) :p

The easiest way to fix the volume jumping problem would be to get it to remember the last used volume level on exit.

I'm really damn impressed with this port, FYI I have left it running for more than 14 hours (not constantly in-use, but running) without a singe lock-up. So any more improvements you manage to make are a real bonus!

*NOW GO FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL KILL YOU* :D

I just noticed the DOS manual is available at ReplacementDocs. Direct Link

It's a good way to learn about the game without spoilers.

imhotep said:

I never thought to go look there! Thanks. Yet another addition to my Star Control II reference collection on my hard drive. :)

@ Senor Quack - I finished the game for the first time on my GP2X (done it many times with my PC)! Not only did it never lock up but the game worked smoothly throughout and at 250MHz overclock the lander movement slowdown was almost non-existent. I had a great time with this! Thank you again! :D

Classic Gamer said:
imhotep said:

I never thought to go look there! Thanks. Yet another addition to my Star Control II reference collection on my hard drive. :)

@ Senor Quack - I finished the game for the first time on my GP2X (done it many times with my PC)! Not only did it never lock up but the game worked smoothly throughout and at 250MHz overclock the lander movement slowdown was almost non-existent. I had a great time with this! Thank you again! :D

Awesome news, definitely makes my day hearing about the first completion, with no crashes, no less.. I am well on my way to my first completion of the game *ever*, which might surprise some folks :)

Recently, I fiddled around a lot with speeding up the game, but met relatively little success. I even hacked together a very crappy version that used HW surfaces for almost everything. It only gave FPS speedups in places I didn't need it. My main bottleneck seems to be RAM speed.

I think the bottom line is the game has a lot of overhead, and on planet landings there's quite a bit going on, often mixing 8 seperate sound streams together, on top of an OGG stream, with a lot more software blitting all thrown on top, with no HW blitter use (not without lotsa code change). 100mhz SDRAM and 200mhz CPU are just enough, it seems. I put together my own private SDL library with auto-optimization, ARM ASM routines, full compiler optimizations, incorporated libTremolo, squdge MMUI hack, etc etc all for a few FPS. Still, a bit smoother IMO. I do think the lander is smoother with my new private version, but you still need a RAM tweak to get the full benefit.

What I really want to do is provide dual USB joystick support for when playing super melee on TV with a friend. I'm not even sure if TV-OUT works, don't have a cable yet.

I'm having a problem with this version of UQM. I have an F200. On the planet surface, I can't seem to move forward and turn at the same time... This makes it a bit difficult to dodge earthquakes and the like.

SC2 was my alltime favourite game for almost a decade, I'm looking forward to being able to play it through once more. Keep up the good work guys!

Trevor Bradley said:
I'm having a problem with this version of UQM. I have an F200. On the planet surface, I can't seem to move forward and turn at the same time... This makes it a bit difficult to dodge earthquakes and the like.
Are you using R Trigger for thrust? That's the button to use if not.

Just to let you know that I have also finished it again. I did not do every single quest, but I did most that I could remember. And apart from the one crash that could have been due to low batteries, I have not had 1 single problem on any lander parts @ 200 Mhz with the ram tweak.

Oh yah, and being able to change button mapping via the menu rules, Y makes a much better forward button in lander mode, IMHO :)

Back