The Ultimate Gp2x Case Mod: Gp2x In Gbo

No pics, but update: I have decided to use a custom 2700mah 12 volt battery pack, then use a TI switching regulator to bring it down to 3.3v. This should give me excellent battery life along with avoiding the problems you get with parallel cells. 1mm glass is hard to find! I really need some for my screen lense...

Chad, nice idea, but doesn't using DS Lite buttons ruin the "classic" look of the GBO? And dont just sit there, do something about your idea! I had the idea to transplant a gba sp into a gbo years ago, but never did anything till now. Just for the record: The idea oof putting a DS Lite into a game and watch is MINE! :lol:

Edit: Well, I will be short. Someone set a box on my gp2x screen, and it cracked. So, this project in on hold till I get a new screen, or someone donates one. ;) I have plans, though...

palmertech said:
Edit: Well, I will be short. Someone set a box on my gp2x screen, and it cracked. So, this project in on hold till I get a new screen, or someone donates one. ;) I have plans, though...

Omf, that's such a bummer, I was really looking forward to seeing pics of this mod :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, crap. You mean the actual screen, not the protective plastic panel?

I was looking forward to this mod too.

Yeah, the actual screen. Man, I was SO close to being done, all I had to do was cut my glass to the right size for the screen cover, and it would be done. For anyone looking to take on this project: It is very possible to accomplish, you can even fit 8 AA batteries in the bottom of the case. I may someday take this project up again, but only if I can get a really cheap gp2x.

For now, though, I have a plan for the mobo... Yes, a plan... Involving a 5" screen, 60gb hard drive, snes controls, and 4 hours of battery life... More news as it develops! Expect a new progress thread in a few days.

(BTW, I think that this GP2X has more failed mods than any other that still works. I started out with a stick cap mod (failed, broke stick click) then a dpad mod (Failed) then a home console conversion mod (Failed) then my GBO mod (Failed...) and finally, my new super gp2x mod, which I really hope does NOT fail! Hard to see how it can, everything is dead except the mobo itself...Controls, case, screen, connectors, everything. :p )

Duuuuuuude. That *sucks* about the screen. I've got a 7-inch DVD player with a fried power supply (or mobo, or something. I plugged in the wrong adapter for it and didn't know until it started to smell funny. Now it won't work.) I'd give that to you, but I know it's too big for the GBO. You can get a 3.5" 320x240 LCD online for about $50.

here
or
here
or
here

Sometimes they are inside of something - sometimes they are not.

Well, best of luck to whatever you end up doing with it. Keep us informed!

Just so you know, those screens cannot interface with the GP2X. If they have TV in, maybe, but that would lower the quality a lot. Unless one of those IS the same screen the GP2X uses? The DVD player screen would not work without the motherboard, most likely. Do not worry, I DO plan on finishing this project eventually, I just need a new GP2X. Might be a while, but it will happen. The other possibility is using something like the JXD 301... The new ones have a sucky dpad and buttons, but excellent gba and snes emulation (With tv out!), so a mod like that would be kinda cool. Although the JXD is so small, I might be better with a gb pocket....hmmm.....

Anyway, my current GP2X mobo is already fitted into a prototype case, just needs some sanding and clean up! Then I will show a few pics. ;)

And chad, if you are at all interested, I might just be willing to do the mod for you on commision.... Just a though. ;)

If you need some perspex, I have some 2mm. PM me if you want a piece.

Not much point having 12v and using a step-down TI regulator card to being it to 3.3v, you may as well just use the 8 batteries as 4 sets of cells in parallel, you will have about 4x the playtime then. You only use a regulator if your system needs more than one voltage, eg 12v and 3.3v; not for only one voltage. Just a suggestion.

For my new system, I plan on running it off a 7.2v battery with a step down to 3v for the gp2x. About putting cells in parallel.... That would definitely offer better efficiency, but it is not good "engineering practice" to do so, because if one pack of cells run out faster than the other, the other ones can start acting in weird ways, possibly killing the battery pack. ;) Probably nothing to worry about, but it would be safer, as well as easier to charge. And I may take you up on that perspex offer.... I do not plan on making my case out of it, but it may function well as a screen cover. You live in the UK, though, so shipping might not be worth it... :(

A question for anyone who cares: Should I go with a stylish case that makes my GP2X about 15% wider, or a less prettyfull case that has it at the smallest possible size?

palmertech said:
Chad, nice idea, but doesn't using DS Lite buttons ruin the "classic" look of the GBO?
Well, sorta - I was thinking more GBMicro than DS. But I just like the way they look better. I have a Micro, (and a DS Lite), and the lined D-Pad is just cool to me. I don't want a pure retro-look - I'm thinking more like what if the original GameBoy came out today kind of thing. I was even thinking of routing the headphones to small internal speakers to give it stereo sound from the case (like the DS has) but that would mean giving up the headphone jack, which, on a handheld, is vital.
palmertech said:
And chad, if you are at all interested, I might just be willing to do the mod for you on commision.... Just a though. ;)
Hmmmm.... there's an idea. All the fun of design and the show-off-ness of having a one-of-a-kind, without any of the work....
palmertech said:
A question for anyone who cares: Should I go with a stylish case that makes my GP2X about 15% wider, or a less prettyfull case that has it at the smallest possible size?
Will the 15% wider still fit in your pocket? Or is the 5" screen mod not a pocketable device? If neither one will be pocketable - go with the wide stylish one - if you are still going ultra-portable, choose function over form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, most headphone jacks have a switch in them to cut off speaker sound when you plug in headphones. You could hook up stereo speakers, just make sure to wire that switch right.

And no, the mod is NOT pocketable... Maybe for MC Hammer. :lol: I think that stylish is the way to go, for sure. I keep getting distracted by my portable n64 project, so I am not making progress as fast as I would like... On top of that, I cannot work all this weekend... Oh well.

Back