Super Gp2x Case/function Mod Wip

palmertech

Some of you may remember how far I got with my attempt to put a GP2X into a Gameboy Original shell. I would have finished, as I was almost done, but my screen broke. :(

As such, I needed a new screen. Here I am a few months later, finally starting my new mod.

Planned features:

4 port USB hub
Internal 80gb 1.8" HDD
Dual SD slots
Universal card reader
Wifi module
5" 320x240 LCD
NES dpad
SNES buttons
Very loud speakers and amp, allows use as ghetto blaster
approx. 6 hours of battery life.

I have started the case, it is actually a psone case! This was done because I had a spare case for one lying around, and also because it will allow people to hold one in their hands to visualize the size. Here are two pics:
PIC_0084.jpg

PIC_0080.jpg

And because I like showing off, pics of something I am selling to a forum member here:
06_27_03-010908.jpg
03_29_03-010908-1.jpg
54_35_03-010908.jpg

Weeeeeeeeee, of topic pictures!

Please feel free to shoot down my idea. Or you could always provide suggestions. In fact, I would be fine with you making no useful contribution at all, as long as it constitutes a somewhat legible post.

Shoot down your idea? No way! Awesome feature list. A couple of questions:

- I read somewhere on the boards that there was some proprietary bollocks preventing the use of alternate LCDs on the GP2X. Is this incorrect?

- How will you implement dual SDs? Please explain in 200 words or less using diagrams where necessary.

(Love that GBA, btw)

Yeah I would also know how you got a bigger LCD to work. Did you connect direct or are you just going to settle for a bigger but poorer quality image using the TV out and S-video?

why didnt you bondo and then sand those buttons there?
How are you going to add a 80 gig Hdd, what kind is it
Are you going to use tv out Mode or You going to do what bateria did?

DaveC said:
Yeah I would also know how you got a bigger LCD to work. Did you connect direct or are you just going to settle for a bigger but poorer quality image using the TV out and S-video?
Seeing as he's using a PSOne screen, I'd say he's tapping the board for composite or S-Video somewhere off the board and connecting it to the corresponding traces on the LCD mobo. Seeing as the original screen is proprietary, I doubt he's using anything from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
DaveC said:
Seeing as he's using a PSOne screen, I'd say he's tapping the board for composite or S-Video somewhere off the board and connecting it to the corresponding traces on the LCD mobo. Seeing as the original screen is proprietary, I doubt he's using anything from that.

I didn`t see any mention of a PSOne screen, Only a 5" 320x240 LCD, Though palmertech does say he will be using a PSOne case, As shown in the pictures.

Trooper

I guess that's one way to spice up the old GP2X. If it's documented well enough then I'll give it a try also. I have a ps1 and never use it. I originally bought it to make a portable ps1 like benheck.com did, but never got around to it because I always hoped that the GP2X would do ps1 emu and wouldn't have to mess around with the disks.

But I have to say, 80 gigs is a lot for a system that doesn't have wifi, but I guess it will hold all the TV seasons you're currently watching. You should rig it so when you plug in the system to the USB it is seen as just a 80 gig hard drive and a few sd cards.

grasshoppir said:
ok i'm taking a shot here..

i hope you fail.
Well, I hope your heart fails.

JK. :D

Ok, reply in order:

@gruso: The GP2X screen is indeed proprietary. See reply to DaveC below. I plan to implement Dual SD by using the normal GP2X SD slot, and a secondary one from an SD card reader hooked up to the USB hub.

@DaveC: I am going to use S-Video from the GP2X to the psone screen. Keep in mind that the TV-Out on the gp2x is labeled as bad because it forces the output to its native screen res. I have tried hooking it up, and because the PSone LCD has the same res, it looks really nice. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of stigma against Svideo comes from the distortion normally introduced between the device and the tv because of RF interference. With a shorter than 2" cable, the problem is greatly reduced. :)

@Marioparty: As I said, this case was JUST started, bondo is next. The Hard drive is a ipod classic 5g 1.8" HDD. Bacteria did the same thing I am doing, except that the PAL gp2x output looks much worse than NTCS for some reason.

@chad78: Sure, why not. B)

@CTF: Right on.

@trooper: I never said I was using one, correct. CTF just knows that the only 5" 320x240 LCD any self respecting modder would use is a psone lcd. :)

@Second Exodus: Trying to decide how well I will document this. I kinda like big surprises, but maybe I will will try a new approach this time.

I don't know, Apple has been putting bih hard drives in wifi-less devices for a while. Last I checked, they were doing OK. ;)

I am planning for 10gb to music, 60gb to videos, and 10gb to the few PSX games the gp2x can run well. :)

I am indeed making it so that when plugged in (Via a full size usb slave device plug, not those accursed mini USB plugs) it will show up as two SD cards, a hard drive, and depending on what is plugged into the universal card reader, addition devices. :)

Is a mini keyboard worth adding? What apps make good use of it?

If you want, I can compile a custom kernel for you at some point. There is an option to force the GP2X to use TV-out right from the second u-boot loads the kernel. I've never tried it, but it might be interesting to see if it works :).

Seriously? I was gonna use the auto tv-out script, but that means a black screen for 20 seconds while it boots. ;) I am assuming some sort of open2x build? Will open2x make any changes to the way the GP2X displays tv out video?

I had not even though of this, the possibility is just too awesome. :) Are you able to use other images for the startup and loading screen?

palmertech said:
Seriously? I was gonna use the auto tv-out script, but that means a black screen for 20 seconds while it boots. ;) I am assuming some sort of open2x build? Will open2x make any changes to the way the GP2X displays tv out video?

I had not even though of this, the possibility is just too awesome. :) Are you able to use other images for the startup and loading screen?
Like I said, I've never tried it but it should work. You could use the kernel with a GPH filesystem or Open2x if you wanted. I don't think there have been any improvements to the TV out in Open2x, I tried to use rlyeh's code for unscaled TV out, but I couldn't really get it working properly. There is a progress bar as the kernel load screen now.

whoah thats awesome!, can i ask for some internal pics of the gb? also what is that satnac app ?

Interesting that there are a few members here also on BenHeck! Hi, guys!!

Yes, for whatever reason it is, TV out to NTSC has been reported better than to PAL (as I used).

The main reason a mod like this is good (assuming the screen image is good enough) is that it enables you to use bigger controls which hold better and a thicker case, more comfortable to hold.

I must admit, I haven't played on my GP2x mod since I completed it. Tempted at some stage to rip it apart and make the whole thing smaller and use thicker wiring, and eliminate the screen rotation to make things small (PS Palmertech, you didn't include that screen rotating feature!!)).

Edit - Actually, yes, I think I will remake my GP2x project at some point. Other projects to do first, though.

@Orkie: I would be fine with either, but open2x seems like the way to go (Assuming all gp2x apps work with it?). I hope it does work, GPH may have just been messing with us though, who knows. ;) I wish Ryleh would come back and finish the tv out code, it would be truly fantastic....:(

@Cew27: No internal pics of the GBA mod yet. Check out here for my full description:http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25841
I entered it in a portable contest, I ended up getting third. :) Check the bottom of the page.

@Bacteria: Yes, there are a lot of benheck people here. Just like the mantra of "Electronics before case" I figured I should get some gp2x specific feedback before posting on benheck about it. ;) Screen rotation is not a problem for me, but I have a solution: Put two REAL gaming buttons on the part of the case where the gp2x volume controls normally go. That way, it will be fine to rotate the whole unit. :)

Back