The Ultimate-64!

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Ian J, Jul 13, 2017.

1. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

To me, the emulated sid on that thing sounded quite agreeable to my ears at least. I'd need a closer side-by side comparison of those versus the two different varieties of real SID chips to tell the difference, I suspect for now.

I've listened to a few 6581 vs 8580 comparisons now, and the main difference seems to be the latter chip sounds like the signal's being passed through a low band pass filter, which pretty much kills any spiky pwm speech and things like that, although tunes that are designed for the 8580 can have killer basslines that the 6581 can't reproduce well at all.

And I've found this video which switches between the two real chips and the U64s emulation on the fly, which is fairly revealing:

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFSnjFtgwUI
    Seems the emulator is sounding more like the 6581 in a lot of respects, especially when compared to the 8580. And it's a known quantity, but if your musicing is more in the vain of trance or funk then you'd have to go a way to beat a real 8580.

2. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

Had I mentioned I installed 3 sids in my u64? 2x 8580 and 1x 6581r4 (Sidfx in socket 1)
    Along with the 2 emulated sids I could in theory play 15 voice tunes :D

rSl likes this.
  3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

3 SIDs? I thought the board only had two sockets, or have you fitted some kind of multiplexing daughterboard?

4. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

Yep, that's what a SIDFX is

levi likes this.
  5. Eight Bit

Yep, what pmprog said. https://www.sidfx.dk/
    The SIDFX has two 3-way switches, one to switch between chips (on the fly) and one to switch the 2nd chips addressing. In my config I have 1x 8580 and 1x 6581 in the SIDFX, in the U64 socket 1. I addressed them both at $d400 so I can listen to the right chip with the flick of the switch without having to enter the menu.
    In socket 2 I have put the 2nd 8580 which is auto-addressed by the U64 when using the internal player. both SID sockets and the emu-sids can be individually addressed, gained and panned in the U64 config menu.
    In other words, I can now listen to just about any SID tune the way it's supposed to sound without having to reconfigure anything. Except dual 6581 tunes but there's hardly any good ones of those around anyway. :D
    I was just listening to http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=High Voltage SID Collection/MUSICIANS/H/Hermit/E_G_Blues_2SID.sid
    But then on my U64... :D

levi and rSl like this.
  6. rSl

rSl **** COMMODORE 64 PYRA V2 **** 4GB RAM SYSTEM

as it costs about 210€, one must want to replace some periferal devices (floppy drive(s), tapedrive, cartridges etc.) to justify this i think.
    if you don't have these (or don't want them), the u64 is a great 'one thing that does it all' device for it's price.
    just get a case, a keyboard (and optional sid-chip-of-choice) from a non functioning c64, stick the u64 board in, done.

if you want it all new, check here for c64c style cases from the original commodore moulds.
    even new keyboards are made these days. they are about 155€ each, but seem to have verry good quality.
    the only thing you don't get as new are key-caps for now. ;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    ClockworkCoder, rygD and Eight Bit like this.
  7. Eight Bit

Or just be a total nerd like me :)

It's not like I ditched my C64's for it though, I moved them to the basement.
    My wife is happy with less clutter on my desk in the living room now... if only for that CRT.... ;)

ClockworkCoder and rSl like this.
  8. rSl

rSl **** COMMODORE 64 PYRA V2 **** 4GB RAM SYSTEM

need a new breadbin case for your u64 board? just build one yourself! :cool:

9. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

Funny, I've literally just watched that video

rSl likes this.
  10. Eight Bit

Me too, the guys voice reminds me of Bob Ross :D

11. pmprog

pmprog Advanced Member

In addition, Lego Masters has just been on TV (well, finals are next week), so I've been tempted to look at some lego stuff. The new BrickLink Studio is a pretty amazing piece of kit. Wonder if they'll let you export models for use in 3D game engines.