Jeff Minter On Retrogaming

I didn't miss them out. I acknowledge new genres were created but these were the minority. If a new genre is going to be created now it will also be the minority. Also RPGs, puzzle games, quiz games, family games are just taking an existing concept and putting it on a computer.

Your kidding right?? You really need to try a retro computer and not a console

foleyjo said:
The Wii does not have new innovative games it only has new ways of controlling them and to be honest the controls are just a refining of what came before starting with the old VR systems. Theres nothing new about the mini games. Most were already done on the Eyetoy. Nothing new about using a controller like a golf club or fishing rod or gun.
All of those things are fairly modern, post retro at least.

A light gun is now post retro??? VR is post retro????

Like I said the sport genre isn't attempting to be innovative. None of the ideas were innovative, they were taken from the sport that they are trying to recreate. Taking ideas from a sport wasn't innovative in the 80s, 90s or 2000s.

the innovation came from the way they transferred the sports to the computer. The ideas that are used today were first tried out in the 8/16bit days.

Nobody said "lacking in Technology does not mean Lacking in innovation". I'm not anti-retro and pro 3D (if I was I would hardly bother posting here) but I do I have a problem with people assuming the gaming industry is deliberately lacking in ideas.

The industry isnt lacking in ideas its just the publishers arent willing to take the risks anymore. That is where the lack of innovation comes from. They want to make money so they release what they know will sell. There are some that occasionally take a risk but its not the same as when 1 man sat in his bedroom and thought "Im going to make a game about these giant camels that you have to kill with your spaceship" (keeping it slightly on topic :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
foleyjo said:
the innovation came from the way they transferred the sports to the computer. The ideas that are used today were first tried out in the 8/16bit days.
That's not innovative, as it wasn't an original idea. All they've done is say 'hey let's copy this sport as much as possible and watch the $$$$'

foleyjo said:
The industry isnt lacking in ideas its just the publishers arent willing to take the risks anymore. That is where the lack of innovation comes from. They want to make money so they release what they know will sell. There are some that occasionally take a risk but its not the same as when 1 man sat in his bedroom and thought "Im going to make a game about these giant camels that you have to kill with your spaceship" (keeping it slightly on topic :lol: )
That isn't innovative it's "whacky", "zany", "crazy" or whatever. In fact I would tend to say that taking a standard shoot em up and replacing the enemy with something a bit kooky is a sign of lazy design. It isn't risky to release a game like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff also said he was playing emus with a DS. DS? While it may be cool for the native games, most emus are crap on it. It doesn't have the power or resolution to run most stuff. Get him a GP2X and THEN he may change his tune :p

Back