The Speed Issue

I use the slubman firmware, and I just noticed my standard clock speed is like, 100 something. However in games like GP Tron or Metal Gear I was able to set the game clock speed to a max of 166. Does this mean that If I set it for that in the firmware it shouldn't hurt it?

Get a 166Mhz BLU (not BLU+, if you can) and sleep well: you couldn't ask for a better GP32 unit.

Ah, 166Mhz is the maximum physical limit: even if you overclock to 256Mhz you won't notice any difference.

GiG posted on Apr 15 2005 at 07:16 AM said:
Ah, 166Mhz is the maximum physical limit: even if you overclock to 256Mhz you won't notice any difference.
Wrong. You will notice a difference at all speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Apr 15 2005 at 09:14 AM said:
GiG posted on Apr 15 2005 at 07:16 AM said:
Wrong. You will notice a difference at all speeds.

Really?! Anyway, my two units are stable at 166Mhz, not over: I only reported what the GP32 technicians usually say.
Thanks Woogal for your pinpointing.

Bluefrog posted on Apr 15 2005 at 05:53 AM said:
I use the slubman firmware, and I just noticed my standard clock speed is like, 100 something. However in games like GP Tron or Metal Gear I was able to set the game clock speed to a max of 166. Does this mean that If I set it for that in the firmware it shouldn't hurt it?
No. Noone can shurely say it won't, but nobody's ever had his/her GP damaged in that way.
Can you oc from Slubman's Firmware? How? A plug-in?

Huxley posted on Apr 15 2005 at 10:28 AM said:
Get a 166Mhz BLU (not BLU+, if you can)

Don't listen to these people. Get a BLU+ unless you absolutely MUST play the latest SNES emulator. And even that will hopefully be updated soon enough, anyway.

I only said "not BLU+, IF YOU CAN": if you get a BLU+ instead of a BLU you may not be able to use old (good) software, and in my case it would be a real pain in the ass.

you may not be able to use old (good) software

I upgraded from a NLU to a BLU+ and using the same SMC only one piece of software (openSNES) has the white bar issue. DO NOT pay over the odds for a BLU when the BLU+ is absolutely fine (search other threads for more in-depth info). Sure, go for a BLU if you somehow manage to find one around the same price as BLU+, but I doubt it.

Most stuff will now run fine on the BLU+. I would get that over the FLU or NLU. The best would be to get an original BLU if you could but BLU+ is the next best thing.

BLU>BLU+>FLU>NLU

Back