The smallest steambox or retro games dream

@ people who want x86 in Pyra:

It's not out of the question but there is one big problem.

You can get the processor from Intel but the problem is the bios.

AFAIK Intel processors need a bios and we would have to make one for Pyra.

That's the big problem.

Else I also would like a x86 option.
I was just thinking - I have still got my old eeePC 701 - the internals of this would be a nice replacement. Just need a screen replacement, and you would have a pretty nice netbook. Just need to get in touch with my inner Ben Heck and start hacking (once it arrives).
Arent there open source bios projects? I think there is at least one.

That's the big problem.

I was just thinking - I have still got my old eeePC 701 - the internals of this would be a nice replacement. Just need a screen replacement, and you would have a pretty nice netbook. Just need to get in touch with my inner Ben Heck and start hacking (once it arrives).
Does it work properly?

It would be bad for business to have an unstable system or some functions unavailable.

remember one of the reasons the OMAP was chosen was that we already had experience with the chip and know how to get things working (at least better than with an unknown SOC).

I believe this is the one I read up on.  Whichever one I looked into sounded possibly usable for our purposes.

There are open source BIOS/UEFI projects from years.

Richard Stallman is currently using ThinkPad X60 with free/libre/open source BIOS on it.

But has anyone worked on an open source BIOS solution for Intel's embedded processors? What I've gathered it's a bit of a different animal. Also is it likely a BIOS ROM module would fit on Pyra's CPU Daughterboard and all the other needed components like the SDRAM and such? These are also likely issues to an X86 solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also is it likely a BIOS ROM module would fit on Pyra's CPU Daughterboard and all the other needed components like the SDRAM and such? These are also likely issues to an X86 solution

The whole board of the K900 (designed by Matsushita Japan) [SIZE=13.63636302948px]which [/SIZE]uses the far older Z2580, is really tiny. In theory, everything should be possible.

sm.lk900-inside-1.600.jpg

Back on the topic, I like both the Pipo X7 and the i8. It will be very nice if the price remains the same for any future Cherry Trail editions. 

Also is it likely a BIOS ROM module would fit on Pyra's CPU Daughterboard and all the other needed components like the SDRAM and such? These are also likely issues to an X86 solution

The whole board of the K900 (designed by Matsushita Japan) [SIZE=13.63636302948px]which [/SIZE]uses the far older Z2580, is really tiny. In theory, everything should be possible.

sm.lk900-inside-1.600.jpg

Back on the topic, I like both the Pipo X7 and the i8. It will be very nice if the price remains the same for any future Cherry Trail editions. 
Yeah, I agree. They are both pretty cool devices. I suspect that Microsoft and Intel are in bed together on this to do two things:-

1) Make in roads into the the tablet market with cheap, devices that offer decent performance and battery life - but with added benefit of FULL compatibility with PC software and hardware

2) To make in roads into the Asian markets - with super cheap hardware that runs full windows.

So for the time being, I can see these devices even with the next gen of SOC's still being pretty cheap. Microsoft practically giving away 8.1 with bing is not going to impact their core market which is desktop/laptop/server. The tablet market is new to them. Intel piggy-backing on this gives them a chance to start bringing their to the ARM based CPU's. We are not that far away from mobile phones that will have full-fat windows running on them. Bar the virus/hackablity issues, I can see alot of benefit from having a phone that runs full-fat windows, especially from a business user perspective. Plus, supersmall but powerful consoles will naturally grow and develop from all of this - and that's what we want.

For $183 it isn't all that impressive. It seems to me that there are much better options, even in the x86 market, such as the Guleek i8 box that spawned this thread.

That's the big problem.

Does it work properly?

It would be bad for business to have an unstable system or some functions unavailable.

remember one of the reasons the OMAP was chosen was that we already had experience with the chip and know how to get things working (at least better than with an unknown SOC).
If it's ever considered, though, at least Intel makes the documentation easy to find.  Bios writer's guide for Bay Trail:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/bay-trail/atom-processor-e3800-family-overview.html

But yes, rolling your own bios isn't for the faint of heart.  I wonder what the above set top computer uses for BIOS...?

Recently bought a Meegopad T01 and I am very happy with it. Running 24/7, super low power use, plays all those great little Steam games, Full-HD Youtube. Took me minimal time to adapt to W8.1 coming from 7.You can just pocket and walk away with it. Brilliant. Come up with a handheld sporting a similar SoC and I'll throw hundreds of dollars your way.

Edit: Only game I can't get to run is Hotline Miami. Win8.1 on this stick is a bitch when it comes to letting me install .NET 3.5.

Edit2: "Smallest" - yeah, but no. This is.

20150119_1146152.jpg

I have ordered one of these and it should be here next week.

I will see how it runs emulators and report back.

The form factor looks perfect for emulation and I am curious to see how well it will run Dolphin and other more stressful emulators.

Kuru, how does teh Meegopad T01 work for emulation?

I haven't installed a single emu, using it as Steam machine. Plays all those wadjet eye adventures really well, super meat boy, quake live on low settings.

Seeing how my old gaming PC struggled with Dolphin, I don't have high hopes. Maybe I'll try if I get around to it this weekend.

Received a 7 inch screen with hdmi today, gonna try and build a mini laptop using the meegopad once I figure out a good mouse replacement. Blackberry trackball looks promising.. finally sth to do for my Arduino:)

and what about streaming game from your desktop to this box? does it run well?

Can any of these handle the new Grim Fandango?

Just looked at the specs on Steam and most of the boxes look as though they could fall short.

Anything 3d is a real strain for those atoms. The 3d-monkey Island runs pretty bad, got to turn it down to 640x480 and lower the quality setting. X86 sadly isn't the world of optimized games. Things like FTL or Revenge of the Titans do work great though. Don't expect to run anything else at the same time, like a browser for example, framerate will drop significantly.

Alright, just tried this in-home streaming biz.

I first set the Wifi router to N mode - think I had it down to B/G because of compatibility issues with something old - and Steam to performance over quality streaming at 720p, enabled hardware-encode and decode. I have no idea what I'm doing but it seemed sensible.

Starting the new XCOM I get a warning "slow decode" which vanishes after a split second, then it's "slow network" over and over and very laggy. Took me quite some time to figure that one out: Putting Meegopad's power saving mode to balanced instead of the full throttle setting completely removed the slow network warning. XCOM now works just fine. Crashed once on the client, but apparently you can just reconnect and jump right back in. Also tried Dishonored. It's a very dark game, there's noticeable artifacts everywhere with the chosen settings. On the other hand it worked surprisingly well, I fought four guards and survived. The input lag isn't bad at all for a single player game.

Pretty cool to have a big game running on this HDMI stick, blazing fast loading times and all. I have this sudden urge to pimp my bathtub with a small PC 8D

Meegopad T01 is out of stock on DX, and the i8 isn't listed on DX anymore, the link lead to a 404... seems like they removed it... all they seems to have now is some 200$ atom media player with a remote...

I'm really interested with a streaming only steam client for my TV... I have so many game that would run great on TV with a gamepad...

Yeah!! It's arrived. Will check out later when I get home from work.

Have to admit, it's not as small as the Meegopad, but it is very small (think Galaxy Note mobile phone). The finish is very good, feels solid in the hand. Comes with the standard Chinglish instructions, Micro HDMI cable, usb cable, charger, and a case.

Will set it up and do some testing.

Back