99% plagiarism of Mario Kart Wii!

Prometheus

It's 99% because they didn't steal the designs of the characters.

Anyway, watch this video. If you've played Mario Kart Wii, I guarantee you that you'll recognise the courses, both modern and retro, as they've been copied wholesale from that game! The same goes for the purpose of the power-ups and everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbbhc9bHsHQ

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In cases like this, it's a surefire way of getting sued.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe slightly if we say about graphics, but Mario Cart is a 99% plagiarism [of CTR] if we say about engine. The Mushrooms and fluffy clouds doesnt mean that game is ripped. Just take a look for TETRIS clones like BLOXEED or similar. They still co-exist because you cannon stop someone to produce a game with "similar" idea and with "blocks" that co-exist in real world [like roads / clouds / mushrooms .. etc].

Last edited:
maybe slightly if we say about graphics, but Mario Cart is a 99% plagiarism [of CTR] if we say about engine.
Erm, no. The Mario Kart series pre-dates Crash Team Racing by quite some time, having started in 1992... ;)

The Mushrooms and fluffy clouds doesnt mean that game is ripped. Just take a look for TETRIS clones like BLOXEED or similar. They still co-exist because you cannon stop someone to produce a game with "similar" idea and with "blocks" that co-exist in real world [like roads / clouds / mushrooms .. etc].
I wasn't talking about the graphics at all. As I said in my post, the video shows courses that have been *outright copied*. The courses are 100% identical. This IS ripping something off - in fact, if I understand it correctly, it's copyright infringement.

So, yes, the game is ripped off, because it has wholesale copied the content of another game, and dressed it up with ever-so-slightly different graphics.

Yes, BUT full 3D was introduced in CTR.
Mario Kart 64 (1996/1997, a few years before Crash Team Racing) wasn't? :blink: (EDIT: Even with Mario Kart 64 using sprites for the racers, Diddy Kong Racing did full-full 3D two years before Crash Team Racing did. :p )

Anyway, you're right if tracks are entirely copied.
They are. :lol: The video shows, in order;

Mushroom Gorge (Mario Kart Wii)

Peach Beach (Mario Kart Double Dash!!)

Bowser Castle 3 (Mario Kart Super Circuit)

Mushroom Gorge again

Peach Beach again

What appears to be either Moo Moo Meadows (Mario Kart Wii) or Moo Moo Farm (Mario Kart 64); If it's the latter, then they've been pinching stages from more than just Mario Kart Wii, though I'm pretty sure it is Moo Moo Meadows

Peach Beach AGAIN

Mushroom Gorge AGAIN

Peach Gardens (Mario Kart DS)

Moo Moo Meadows (if the previous instance of it was Moo Moo Meadows, then this is the second time it gets shown)

Bowser Castle 3 again

Moo Moo Meadows again

Peach Beach again

Moo Moo Meadows again

Sherbet Land (Mario Kart 64)

Peach Gardens again

Peach Beach yet again

And then their motley crew of scary clowns, a polar bear, and what appears to be some sort of demented frog. :p

These are all courses that appear in Mario Kart Wii, and since tools exist to extract the course data from the game, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that's how they were copied. They really are exact duplications.

EDIT: On second glance, the frog, at least from the image at the end of the video, looks like its design has been ripped off from Keroro Gunsou...

Having played Mario Kart Wii I can only assume that this is some sort of bizarre joke that we don't quite comprehend. Surely a rip this blatant would ever see the light of day? It's pretty clear that the resources were lifted verbatim from the original game.

@DM - Check the end of the video - it claims to be available on Apple's App Store. :p The description, however, states that it isn't. Whether it was and has since been withdrawn due to the blatant plagiarism/copyright infringement, though, I can't tell.

The way the characters are completely static and unmoving is really freakish, too...

One of the sadest things, I think, is that it actually looks decently done. The animation is fluid, no glaring problems with the physics, I would bet that with a unique set of tracks it could be a fun game, as fun as any other game "inspired by" a more popular commercial game. Why they would go to all that work of building an engine from scratch (or I assume it is from scratch, unless they've managed to get ahold of the Mario Kart Wii code and port it to iOS somehow, but even that would be an impressive feat) and then blow it at the last minute by using the tracks from a commercial game instead of just making their own, I have no idea.

To make quick money from morons who confuse this with the real thing. That's where all fakes come from.

Yes... They've been doing this kind of stuff for years. I dunno if you've seen the anime rip-offs they do, as well. The JP forums have posted images side-by-side and they're incredibly blatant. It's really funny to see that they put all this effort into this kind of thing, but instead of creating their own original stuff they choose to outright copy instead. I know a bunch of bastards who should go live there. They'd fit right in. :p

^ The company behind this rips off TV shows as well? :blink: They sure must have a lot of resources...

Back